Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights from ATL to HNL/OGG/KOA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Flights from ATL to HNL/OGG/KOA

I am currently looking at options to book TWO award tickets from ATL to HNL/OGG/KOA 8/29 thru 9/8.

We are mostly interested in flying business/first but economy would not be out of the question. I have been looking at:

1) AA - ATL-DFW-HNL and returning on the same route. The only thing showing up are the business AAnytime awards at 67.5k each way so a total of 270k AA miles for two roundtrip tickets in business (ouch!). I specifically looked at going through DFW to get on the 763 with the lay flats. Now I am reconsidering because 1) not sure if the 270k miles are worth it and 2) i have read that delta and united lay flats are alot nicer for the HNL route.
Also, How do I know if the plane is the 767-300 (763) V1 or 767-300 (763) V2? I checked seatguru and it shows the V2 but also says 'check version' and says the V1 is the most common.

2) United booking through Singapore. Flight routes are kinda funky.

3) Delta booking through Korean Air (currently have a reservation that i need to change the dates but nothing is available right now)

4) Delta booking using delta points (can only afford economy and would have to transfer MR) or using cash for ticket (kinda pricey and would be my last resort).

5) Delta booking through FlyingBlue - read about horror stories with booking awards with them but still open to try.

I know I waited last minute to book these but would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on my approach or any other ways I could go about getting these tickets.

Also, anyone have any recent experience on the 767-300 (763) V2 from DFW to HNL?

Thanks all.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

So just a quick update.. I ended up finding availability on Delta thru Korean Air for my desired dates!! I did reserve it but it was connecting thru LAX. Although I really preferred to do direct flight on the A330, I was stoked to be getting two economy tickets for 50k UR + taxes.

However, I went back to check the flight prices for the direct flights on Delta from ATL-HNL and it dropped from $1000+ (just this morning) to $675 so I went ahead and booked with cash.

Probably not the most ideal situation since I wanted to burn some points but I think it was a decent deal. I will probably use the UR saved to possibly upgrade to a suite at the Hyatt.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Tofe
Hey guys,

So just a quick update.. I ended up finding availability on Delta thru Korean Air for my desired dates!! I did reserve it but it was connecting thru LAX. Although I really preferred to do direct flight on the A330, I was stoked to be getting two economy tickets for 50k UR + taxes.

However, I went back to check the flight prices for the direct flights on Delta from ATL-HNL and it dropped from $1000+ (just this morning) to $675 so I went ahead and booked with cash.

Probably not the most ideal situation since I wanted to burn some points but I think it was a decent deal. I will probably use the UR saved to possibly upgrade to a suite at the Hyatt.
Although 9+ hours N/S in steerage on a Big Bus sounds painful, that's a great price these days.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steved5480
Although 9+ hours N/S in steerage on a Big Bus sounds painful, that's a great price these days.
Yeah, will be my first long haul too. Hope it isn't too bad. Wondering if upgrading to comfort+ would be worth it. Seat width the same but you get a little more pitch.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:13 am

return flight upgrade

try to upgrade on the return trip if possible, you will feel the jet lag a lot more,
so getting some sleep will help. imho.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by horseymike
try to upgrade on the return trip if possible, you will feel the jet lag a lot more,
so getting some sleep will help. imho.
Thanks for the tip. We are checking to see what our options are now!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tofe
I went back to check the flight prices for the direct flights on Delta from ATL-HNL and it dropped from $1000+ (just this morning) to $675 so I went ahead and booked with cash.
Nice price. Even if coach isn't ideal, the plane will still be landing in HNL. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.