Wiki Posts
Search

what's new in Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
what's new in Kauai?

So I just booked our next trip to Kauai right after Easter and it's been almost 1.5 years since we have been there. So what's new other than the new Safeway? Also, are there any notable events taking place after Easter into the first week of April (I like slack key, ukulele, hula pretty much anything Hawaiian)?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
We go to Kauai every year - but we are food people so most of our info is about restaurants.

Josselin's in Poipu has been sold and re-branded as another restaurant. He now has a new restaurant in Kapaa called JO2. We went but were not impressed - space is small and cramped, lacking the ambiance of the old place, and the service was terrible. But the food was quintessential Josselin. Makes us wonder whether he is missing his old front of the house manager.

Roy Yamaguchi's is also closed and he has opened a new casual style bistro in Poipu called Eating House 1849. We were more impressed with this - but think Portland/West Coast casual meat place. Good but not at the level of the old place. Prices are consistent with the product though. We would go back here.

The young couple that owned the pastry shop "Kristin's" in Kapaa closed that down and opened a new wood fire burger place called "Street Burger" in south Kapaa near the sushi restaurant. It was good but not mind blowing.

We always go around Thanksgiving - so can't provide any advice on the event side of things.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by codesinvan
We go to Kauai every year - but we are food people so most of our info is about restaurants.
One of the restaurants we liked was the Thai place in Wailua (across from the gas station), and when we went the last time it was closed with a sign that they moved to Lihue and would re-open soon. Do you know where the new location is?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I have not been in 4.5 years but we are finally going back in Sept

Say what you will about TA, but it does have a very active and informative Kauai forum with several regulars than live on island. I would not put much stock in the restaurant reviews but the community forum is very helpful.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
As alluded to above, Josselin's Tapas is now Tapas @ Kukui'ula.

Jack in the Box and Panda in the same mall as Safeway. Walgreen's decided not to open on the island. Looks like Safeway will open a pharmacy in that space. Long's has a new store at Kukui'ula. It's very clean (so not like a Long's at all - yet! ).

I paid a visit to Street Burger a couple of days ago. Tasty burgers grilled over a wood burning fire. Not cheap (burger, Mexican Coke - actually Coke Life, also Mexican and not good and tip was $23). The desserts looked great, but I was full after the huge burger and fries. Very attractive place - A/C indoors, or outdoor patio with a view of Sleeping Giant. You can also sit at the liquor bar or another bar and watch them prepare your burger - but it's HOT by that fire.

Shrimp Station now has a location in Kapa'a too.

Casa d'Amici is closed (finally).

The Pie Lady (the Right Slice) is in Kalaheo and a new shop in Nawiliwili at the Harbor Mall. The old place in the industrial park in Lihue is no more.

The guy at the car rental location also mentioned, "The Cake Boys," but that apparently isn't the real name and hasn't caught on enough yet (a la Pie Lady), for Google to recognize whatever bakery that is.

The pie at the Lodge at Koke'e is no longer good.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Feb 5, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Merlin666
One of the restaurants we liked was the Thai place in Wailua (across from the gas station), and when we went the last time it was closed with a sign that they moved to Lihue and would re-open soon. Do you know where the new location is?
Never eaten there ourselves - but I think you mean:
Mema's Cuisine
3-3204 Kuhio Hwy, Ste 101, Kapaa, Kauai, HI 96766

As 1readyset2go mentioned - there is some informative reviews on Mema's on TA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.