Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

chartering boat/yacht for inter-island travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways, AAdvantage, Marriott, Hyatt

First time to Hawaii! Need to get from Oahu to Kauai during our trip, but would like to avoid spending more time in the airport than necessary.

Has anyone had any luck chartering a boat or yacht for travel between the islands? I figure that if we can make a day of it, fish, and get some views, that would be a more pleasant way to travel than 3 hrs at the airport for a 40 min flight.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I never have, but my uncle-in-law used to live on Kauai and the channel between the 2 islands is extremely rough and he did not advise doing so.

If you find a captain willing to do it, I would bet it is very expensive because of the conditions.

I also guess it will take you far longer to get there than if you flew - and that includes waiting at the airport.

It's also not a 40 minute flight. It's more like 25 or 30 minutes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways, AAdvantage, Marriott, Hyatt
Rough waters? Eeek. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
After the demise of the Fast Ferry....

Although fishing between the islands sounds quite intriguing ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.