First time trip to Hawaii...help with points/where to stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time trip to Hawaii...help with points/where to stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Cool First time trip to Hawaii...help with points/where to stay

Hello all,

My friend and I (both age 25) are planning a 10 day trip to Hawaii this coming January or February. We will depart the snowy tundra of the Midwest for beautiful Hawaii on a Thursday and stay for 10 days returning on a Saturday. Dates aren't set in stone yet, depending on the best use of miles/points.

Currently I have:

30K AAdvantage miles
55K Citi Thank You Points
75K Chase UR Points
30K Starwood Points

I would like to visit at least two islands, probably Oahu and Maui, on our vacation. I'm also open to buying more points such as Starwood points to make use of the 5th night free aspect of the program.

What properties are the best use of my points for this trip? I was thinking of the Westin Ka'anapali for 5 nights (purchasing 18K Starwood points) and somewhere on Oahu for the other 4 nights. Just not sure where yet.

Advice? Opinions?

We're not entirely set on Hawaii if there would be a better option but it seems to be hard to beat from a tropical/romantic getaway destination.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Hello all,

My friend and I (both age 25) are planning a 10 day trip to Hawaii this coming January or February. We will depart the snowy tundra of the Midwest for beautiful Hawaii on a Thursday and stay for 10 days returning on a Saturday. Dates aren't set in stone yet, depending on the best use of miles/points.

Currently I have:

30K AAdvantage miles
55K Citi Thank You Points
75K Chase UR Points
30K Starwood Points

I would like to visit at least two islands, probably Oahu and Maui, on our vacation. I'm also open to buying more points such as Starwood points to make use of the 5th night free aspect of the program.

What properties are the best use of my points for this trip? I was thinking of the Westin Ka'anapali for 5 nights (purchasing 18K Starwood points) and somewhere on Oahu for the other 4 nights. Just not sure where yet.

Advice? Opinions?

We're not entirely set on Hawaii if there would be a better option but it seems to be hard to beat from a tropical/romantic getaway destination.
Each island is so diverse and different. What you hope to accomplish on your trip will largely drive suggestions on properties. So... what were you hoping to accomplish?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by slippahs
Each island is so diverse and different. What you hope to accomplish on your trip will largely drive suggestions on properties. So... what were you hoping to accomplish?
Basically looking for a little R&R but with a decent amount of excitement and adventure.

Looking for 4 or 5 star properties primarily. Thinking Oahu and Maui.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Basically looking for a little R&R but with a decent amount of excitement and adventure.

Looking for 4 or 5 star properties primarily. Thinking Oahu and Maui.
You can find what you're looking for on any of the islands of course, but Oahu and Maui would seem to fit well. At age 25, I assume you may want some night life too, and Oahu is the one island that has lots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.