Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Is TheBus sufficient for travel in Honolulu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

For those who've been to Honolulu, is TheBus a good option for travel around the city? From what I hear about Honolulu traffic, I think I'd like to avoid renting a car if possible.

It also looks like TheBus has a run to Pearl Harbor. Anyone have experience with that?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It depends upon where you want to go. TheBus is a good alternative, but sometimes it can take a while to come.

Another option is to rent a car by the day to go to other sites you want to see.

Traffic is not all that bad. It's heavy, but it depends on what you're used to dealing with. I can say that it's heavy almost all the time between the airport and Waikiki and reasonable manageable, to none at all, in other parts of the island.

I've always driven to Pearl Harbor so I can't help you there.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
For those who've been to Honolulu, is TheBus a good option for travel around the city? From what I hear about Honolulu traffic, I think I'd like to avoid renting a car if possible.

It also looks like TheBus has a run to Pearl Harbor. Anyone have experience with that?
Yes. It's great. The bus runs from Waikiki, and drops you off at the entrance to the Pearl Harbor parking lot.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
From Waikiki, take route 20 or 42 westbound, stop right in front of Arizona Memorial. Travel time will be around 1 hour. To return, walk to Kamehameha Highway outside memorial.

If you need to transfer, ask the driver for a transfer ticket (free) when you pay. It's good for 2 more rides for the next 2 hours.

You can go to http://hea.thebus.org/ or download DaBus app on your phone to access real time arrivals. Most buses have GPS so it's pretty accurate.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think we'll give TheBus a try!
Old May 2, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I think the traffic problem in Honolulu is a bit overblown. We had a cab driver apologize for the traffic when we didn't get through a traffic light on the first green!

If you're not driving into Honolulu at rush hour in the morning, or away in the evening rush hour, it's just like any big city in the USA, it's heavy but it moves freely.

Unless there's road works, or an accident - just like any other big city in the USA!

Absolutely rent a car to get out of the big city and head to the North Shore or East Side
Old May 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
I think the traffic problem in Honolulu is a bit overblown. We had a cab driver apologize for the traffic when we didn't get through a traffic light on the first green!

If you're not driving into Honolulu at rush hour in the morning, or away in the evening rush hour, it's just like any big city in the USA, it's heavy but it moves freely.

Unless there's road works, or an accident - just like any other big city in the USA!

Absolutely rent a car to get out of the big city and head to the North Shore or East Side
All fair statements.
Think of it this way.... If you were visiting any similar size city, would you use Public Transit (Bus and/or Subway)? If so, try DaBus. Just remember, that's what it is: Public Transportation, not tourist transportation.
It will be cheaper, take longer, and you may end up somewhere other than where you were trying to go to.
Everything is a trade off. If you think you will spend most of your time within walking distance of your hotel, try DaBus to Pearl Harbor and see how it goes.
But if you plan on circling the island and visiting North Shore, Makapuu, Pali Lookout, etc, rent a car.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:19 pm

Besides TheBus, there are many tour agencies giving local tours. Check with your hotel's concierge desk. I've never tried any of them, but I heard Discover Hawaii Tour is pretty good for attractions and Oahu Nature Tours if you are more adventurous.

Let us know what you plan will be and I can tell you if it's doable using TheBus.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
If you're visiting the islands, you don't really experience the full brunt of the work commuter traffic that's gotten Honolulu ranked worst traffic on some lists (http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45hedf/1-honolulu/).

TheBus is adequate. Beware of luggage restrictions, though. And consider whether you're better off spending the extra cash for a car rental, or at least the cash on daily car rentals out of Waikiki, so you can save on parking. Sometimes time = money and the cash you save by taking TheBus just results in less time you could be on the beach or seeing something else great on this island.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice and insight!

We're only going to be in Honolulu a couple days, mainly just to see Pearl Harbor. My grand plan is:

Day 1: Fly in
Day 2: Recuperate from the flight, probably hit the beach
Day 3: Pearl Harbor
Day 4: Fly to the Big Island where we'll spend the rest of our vacation

I haven't settled on our Honolulu hotel yet and maybe it's location will need to play into the decision as well.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:07 am

If that's all you're planning to do, you may be better off staying in Ko'Olina, which is west of the airport. There's a Marriott & Disney Aulani and you'll be pretty much out of the heavy traffic zone.

You can take a taxi from the airport, take a tour to Pearl Harbor that picks you up at the hotel, and then another taxi back to the airport.

Renting a car and staying at that location is much easier than having to go into Waikiki and risking hitting some of that rush hour traffic. Which, for me, coming from NY/NJ, is child's play
Old May 4, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mary! I'll check out those hotels. Do you think there's a good supply of minivan taxis available? We're a party of 6, and I've discovered in some cities that minivans are hard to come by.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

I can't honestly say that I"ve ever paid attention. I do know there are plenty of taxis at the stand.

YOu can pre-arrange for the type of taxi you want. I think Charley's Taxi may have minivans.

But for a couple of days, and if you stay in Ko'Olina, I would just rent a car.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2015, 1:22 am

There are taxi vans available that will fit 6. Let the dispatcher know. There are usually 3 to 5 cabs waiting at arrivals area plus literally a hundred of them on Rodgers Blvd and Aolele Street waiting for their turn. You may have to stand aside if you don't see in sight.

Or you can use SpeediShuttle (http://www.speedishuttle.com/), pickup at the closest median from arrivals area.

Or if you only have carry-ons and staying in Waikiki, take TheBus routes 19 or 20 from departure level. Make sure destination sign says "Waikiki Beach and Hoels". $2.50 per person, trip time about 1 hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.