Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

First time to Maui with a baby! What to plan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thinking of taking time off in March and we are thinking of Hawaii. I think the best for us is Maui? Never been to Hawaii before & we are in IL.

We are a couple with 13 month old infant. Our stay and flight will be paid with our points & miles. Have Hyatt points no status & Hilton with gold.
Is the HYatt good place to stay? Will it be fun to rent a car for 5 days during our 5 day stay? What's there to see and enjoy? Any tips, information or suggestions? Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I went to Bonaire Jamaica and Acapulco when our son was from 9 months to 2 years old. I'd advise an good beach and just chill. Lots of great hotels on Maui. I'd actually go for a condo rather than hotel. Kitchen, more room. When I used to go to Maui we rented a friends condo near Kanapali. I'm sure you can find a good place to stay.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
I went to Bonaire Jamaica and Acapulco when our son was from 9 months to 2 years old. I'd advise an good beach and just chill. Lots of great hotels on Maui. I'd actually go for a condo rather than hotel. Kitchen, more room. When I used to go to Maui we rented a friends condo near Kanapali. I'm sure you can find a good place to stay.
can't afford out of pocket costs for condo or anything else. Can stay at a suite or club room if I can get one with my hotel points.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:17 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Have you checked for flight and hotel availability? If you are trying to get space for next month, you may find that availability is limited or non-existent.

In addition, you may want to check out the Hyatt and Hilton forums for threads on the specific Maui properties.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven

can't afford out of pocket costs for condo or anything else.
Then don't go. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you're this strapped for cash then a trip to Hawaii is not going to be the visit to paradise that it should be. Keep saving your points, and try to save some spending money as well. Then go in a year or two when your family will be better able to travel.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Then don't go. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you're this strapped for cash then a trip to Hawaii is not going to be the visit to paradise that it should be. Keep saving your points, and try to save some spending money as well. Then go in a year or two when your family will be better able to travel.
I actually meant a place to stay. I want to pay with the hotel points I have earned & saved.

I am looking for Hyatt Maui. Wish they had other chains in Maui like IHG, CC.
I can use my Hilton points but it is too costly at 90K points a night.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:13 pm

We walked through the Andaz when we were on the island recently, and it seemed fairly nice (a lot nicer than the Hyatt in Kaanapali IMHO). Maybe worth checking.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:27 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Thinking of taking time off in March and we are thinking of Hawaii. I think the best for us is Maui? Never been to Hawaii before & we are in IL.

We are a couple with 13 month old infant. Our stay and flight will be paid with our points & miles. Have Hyatt points no status & Hilton with gold.
Is the HYatt good place to stay? Will it be fun to rent a car for 5 days during our 5 day stay? What's there to see and enjoy? Any tips, information or suggestions? Thanks
The Hyatt Maui is nice -- you'd have a great trip. The Andaz is much nicer -- one of the better hotels on the island. The vibe is a bit trendy, though. Both hotels are discussed extensively on the Hyatt forum.

I think a car can be a good idea, since it'll let you see other parts of the island if that's your thing. But it'll obviously cost you, plus parking fees.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Not sure where you came up with this.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

How about an update? Got flts & hotels set? www.tripadvisor.com is a good site for things to do. We love HI but I couldn't do a short stay. Yes, rent a car and tour the North Shore. Use BUS and/or cabs for Honolulu touring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.