Wiki Posts
Search

First timer to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
I have no idea what you are trying to discern
Never mind then. A resort would be fine!! I just wish I had a girl to go along with!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by maortega15
So what would you recommend? I would like the hotel to have good food and has fast free reliable Wi-Fi. As far as the pool goes, probably the nicest pool I guess!

I guess The Modern is out then. I'm sure its pricey as well for a solo traveler.

A nice beach view would probably be best as I don't have plans to go to the beach. I'll most likely do that with Snorkeling.

My friend recommended Ko Olina. I'm not sure if I should consider that as they went as a family of 4 whereas, I'm going solo.

Would a staying in a resort be too much or I should be fine?
Here's my perceptions on what I read from your inquries:

* First time visit and "single/solo" - stay in Waikiki.

* Pools - go online and look at pictures, videos and reviews of properties suggested that have larger pools and check them out.

* December is the most expensive month to visit Hawaii. If you're on a budget some of the properties mentioned might be a concern.

* If budget is an issue, there are nice hotels a 3-4-5 block walk from the beach that might have less expensive rates. But, you would scarfice larger pools. And beach/ocean views.

* Food. Finding something you want to eat in all price ranges, within walking distance of Waikiki area shouldn't be a problem.

* Free Wifi? Check out the hotel websites. We have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian our last 3 visits and guests have free Wifi. (btw, since pools seem to be a priority for you -- if you look at the RH, its pool is very small, but RH guests can use the two larger pools next door at the sister Starwood property the Sheraton Waikiki)

Good luck!

Last edited by davesam12; Jan 29, 2015 at 9:07 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies on where to stay.

I'm leaning towards the Hilton Hawaiian Village as the price seems to be the best out of the bunch. I would like to get first hand reviews first. Hows the food on property, the rooms, pool, Wi-Fi speed, etc.?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:23 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may wish to visit the Hilton forum. Very detailed threads on all the Hawaiian properties.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
Waikiki area hotel/resorts with best pools, are imho:

Hilton Hawaiian Village (as mentioned above) (5 different pools on property)
Sheraton Waikiki (Infinity adult pool and larger pool with water slide)
Waikiki Beach Marriott (two pools on their deck area)

HHV and Sheraton Waikiki are beach front. Marriott is across the street from beach.
What would you recommend?

Originally Posted by wharvey
You may wish to visit the Hilton forum. Very detailed threads on all the Hawaiian properties.
Thanks but I'm still debating where to stay. I'll give it a look though.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Moving on, can anyone recommend any good places for eats? I'm interested in the local sutff like BBQ's, Hawaiian pancakes, saimin noodles, seafood, loco mocos, plate lunches, Hawaiian desserts and stuff like that.

Also, is it worth trying Sam Choy?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Looks like Sam Choy is closed and the only remaining branch is on a military base. Oh well.

Moving back on places to stay (please forgive me if this is brought up again), but since someone mentioned that the HHV is pretty far from the strip and its more of a family/honeymoon hotel rather than a hotel for a 20's something person, can anyone recommend a hotel where its near everything like bars, etc. and its good for single folks?

I did some searching but I am not familiar with the area so please forgive me.

Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta
.. can anyone recommend a hotel where its near everything like bars, etc. and its good for single folks?

I did some searching but I am not familiar with the area so please forgive me.

Thanks.
I like this map that shows where individual hotels are in relation to the Waikiki area. There are others available if you do a search for "waikiki map with hotel locations".

http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html#
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

So I narrowed down my hotel choices:

-The Modern Honolulu
-Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort And Spa
-Outrigger Reef On The Beach Rating
-Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Rating
-Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach

So now, what would be the best option for a mid 20's and single guy like me? From what I was told, the hotel should be in the heart of the strip and where everything is especially the nightlife.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:54 pm

So I narrowed down my hotel choices:

-The Modern Honolulu
-Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort And Spa
-Outrigger Reef On The Beach Rating
-Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel Rating
-Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach

So now, what would be the best option for a mid 20's and single guy like me? From what I was told, the hotel should be in the heart of the strip and where everything is especially the nightlife.

Thanks again.
Outrigger Waikiki would be ground zero for you I think. Bonus is Duke's on site.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
Outrigger Waikiki would be ground zero for you I think. Bonus is Duke's on site.
What does that mean? And what's Duke's?

Have you stayed to this property before? If so, how was it?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I have now narrowed it down to to hotels after doing some research:

The Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki.

I still cant figure out the difference between the two and what would be best. I did some research, but still clueless.

Once again, thanks to the FT community for helping me out.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:24 pm

What does that mean? And what's Duke's?

Have you stayed to this property before? If so, how was it?
Duke's Barefoot Bar (I think that's the name). You can look it up. Great bar right on the beach. I think that I stayed here several years ago, but frankly don't remember the room. Have been to Duke's and the restaurants above Dukes many times. It's in the very center of the tourist action in Waikiki. The Outrigger Reef doesn't feel as "happening" as much. Never stayed there, but my sense is that the rooms are more condo like, thus maybe more family oriented.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have now narrowed it down to to hotels after doing some research:

The Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki.

I still cant figure out the difference between the two and what would be best. I did some research, but still clueless.

Once again, thanks to the FT community for helping me out.
We stayed at Outrigger Waikiki Beach one time 3 years ago. We were lured by a great web rate promotion at the time. Fantastic, prime Waikiki beach front location. It's in between the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider. All rooms were refurbished 3 years ago. Very nice. Dukes and Hula Grill on site, both popular Waikiki restaurants. It's a popular hotel. Now, it was a one time visit for us -- here's why. . .

Pool and pool deck very small and no way to reserve loungers in advance, so guests get up at crack of dawn to grab a spot. Guests had to sign in and sign out for towels at pool stand. Billed a $$$ fine to your room if you didn't turn them back in. Subsequently we never used the pool. It was always noisy and crowded. Beach front umbrellas and loungers available for rent from an onsite vendor. Again you could not reserve in advance so there was the obligatory line up every morning to reserve just for the day. . Now maybe some of these policies have changed. But they were a deal breaker for us. As pool and beach services are a priority for us.

Outrigger Reef is further down next to the Halekulani. Never stayed but is a popular resort and seems to always have competitive rates.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
We stayed at Outrigger Waikiki Beach one time 3 years ago. We were lured by a great web rate promotion at the time. Fantastic, prime Waikiki beach front location. It's in between the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider. All rooms were refurbished 3 years ago. Very nice. Dukes and Hula Grill on site, both popular Waikiki restaurants. It's a popular hotel. Now, it was a one time visit for us -- here's why. . .

Pool and pool deck very small and no way to reserve loungers in advance, so guests get up at crack of dawn to grab a spot. Guests had to sign in and sign out for towels at pool stand. Billed a $$$ fine to your room if you didn't turn them back in. Subsequently we never used the pool. It was always noisy and crowded. Beach front umbrellas and loungers available for rent from an onsite vendor. Again you could not reserve in advance so there was the obligatory line up every morning to reserve just for the day. . Now maybe some of these policies have changed. But they were a deal breaker for us. As pool and beach services are a priority for us.

Outrigger Reef is further down next to the Halekulani. Never stayed but is a popular resort and seems to always have competitive rates.
Thanks again for the reply. How was the parking at the Outrigger Waikiki?

And since you mention a pool and beach is a priority for you, what would you recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.