Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2014 - 2021 Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - questions & observations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
The current thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2035859-2021-onwards-consolidated-f-j-c-hawaii-questions-observations-thread.html
Print Wikipost

2014 - 2021 Consolidated "F/J/C to/from Hawaii - questions & observations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
CIP= Cabin Improvement Program. "These aircraft are being refurbished for just one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes".

The wiki in the link goes into all the details. Also the first post on the first page of that thread has a nice video showing the changes.

I believe also I read there have been occasional DFW-OGG flights as well with the new interiors but don't count on it. Its a crap shoot at this point if your 767 aircraft gets swapped out for the CIP 767 going to Hawaii. Be aware also the this new layout of the 767-323ER has 2 fewer F seats.
Many thanks for info and alert. A nice option to consider...
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Update: After reading more reports in the Master 676 CIP thread of these planes showing up on both DFW-HNL and DFW-OGG

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post26300292

I decided I had better check my flights and wouldn't you know it my Sept 1st flight is showing the 676 CIP plane. WHen I booked it this was not the case. Glad I checked because it will probably screw up your the seat assignments the old F/C section on these 2 class cabins had a 2-2-2 layout. The updated interior is a 1-2-1 and has the true lie flats.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Would be interested in the consensus on the best premium option(s) for LAX-HNL, LAX-OGG & LAX-KOA, thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Would be interested in the consensus on the best premium option(s) for LAX-HNL, LAX-OGG & LAX-KOA, thanks.
Aloha, Mr Rain! I'm excited to anticipate a TR to Hawaii!

I'm afraid that the premium options are slim from LAX. UA and HA are your major players, and neither has any regular lie-flats in these markets. Most of UA's flights use 737s, although there may be 1-2 777s a day to HNL.

The newest wide bodies flying these routes are HA's A330s. There is exactly one lie-flat version now flying, with more coming. Even with the non-lie flats, the HA experience will be superior.

Sadly, none of the options will be like your LH/QR flights.

Let me know if you need any hotel advice for your Hawaii travels. Sadly, there is no Park Hyatt Dubai here

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 13, 2016 at 3:36 am Reason: Info
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Aloha, Mr Rain! I'm excited to anticipate a TR to Hawaii!

I'm afraid that the premium options are slim from LAX. UA and HA are your major players, and neither has any regular lie-flats in these markets. Most of UA's flights use 737s, although there may be 1-2 777s a day to HNL.

The newest wide bodies flying these routes are HA's A330s. There is exactly one lie-flat version now flying, with more coming. Even with the non-lie flats, the HA experience will be superior.

Sadly, none of the options will be like your LH/EK flights.
Aloha to you, Mr 747FC!
Thank you very much for your reply. This is interesting, as I thought that DL was the best option (as per SFO777's recent TR).
I'm not expecting anything fancy, just a modern cabin and decent legroom.
And of course you're right in anticipating another TR...
Stay tuned!

PS: thanks a lot for offering assistance with regards to hotels. So far I'm looking at FS Lanai, FS Hualalai and Montage. (Andaz & Hotel Wailea are also on the list but will likely be dropped). Would you agree that those are good choices?

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 13, 2016 at 3:59 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:07 am

The newest wide bodies flying these routes are HA's A330s. There is exactly one lie-flat version now flying, with more coming.
That bird is currently flying the LAX-OGG route.

So far I'm looking at FS Lanai, FS Hualalai and Montage. (Andaz & Hotel Wailea are also on the list but will likely be dropped). Would you agree that those are good choices?
Solid choices.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:08 am

Aloha to you, Mr 747FC!
Thank you very much for your reply. This is interesting, as I thought that DL was the best option (as per SFO777's recent TR).
I'm not expecting anything fancy, just a modern cabin and decent legroom.
And of course you're right in anticipating another TR...
Stay tuned!

PS: thanks a lot for offering assistance with regards to hotels. So far I'm looking at FS Lanai, FS Hualalai and Montage. (Andaz & Hotel Wailea are also on the list but will likely be dropped). Would you agree that those are good choices?
I do not believe that DL flies Big Birds into Maui or the Big Island. I don't like being stuck in smaller craft if I can avoid it, thus the HA A330 is the best of the bunch, and you may be able to fly the lie-flats if your timing in right. Of course, if you are going into HNL, the DL 767 1-2-1 version is the way to go. However, not all of the DL flights use this bird.

Your great hotel choices mix islands and locations. The Hualalai is a wonderful property on the leeward side of the Big Island. There will not be much rain there. The others are on Maui and Lanai. The Montage is in Kapalua, which is more isolated than the Andaz and Wailea area, and is to be preferred. The Island of Lanai is great: Are you considering the Koele lodge or Manele Bay? Two very different experiences.

Choice of hotels should be dependent on what kind of experience you enjoy: Just chillin at the resort? Nightlife? Ecotourism? Golf? If you describe your apirations, the choices will be more obvious.

Last edited by 747FC; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:15 am Reason: fix error
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:17 am

I do not believe that DL flies Big Birds into Maui. I don't like being stuck in smaller craft if I can avoid it, thus the HA A330 is the best of the bunch, and you may be able to fly the lie-flats if your timing in right.

You great hotel choices mix islands and locations. The Hualalai is a wonderful property on the leeward side of the Big Island. There will not be much rain there. The other two are on Maui. The Montage is in Kapalua, which is more isolated than the Andaz and Wailea area, and is to be preferred. The Island of Lanai is great: Are you considering the Koele lodge or Manele Bay? Two very different experiences.

Choice of hotels should be dependent on what kind of experience you enjoy: Just chillin at the resort? Nightlife? Ecotourism? Golf? If you describe your apirations, the choices will be more obvious.
Thanks for your comments, 747FC. I mentioned DL with regards to HNL only. For OGG, HA looks like the best choice indeeed.
I'll probably stay on Maui first (unfortunately the Montage is sold-out), then on Lanai at Manele Bay. My priorities are relaxing and discovering beautiful landscapes.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:35 am

Thanks for your comments, 747FC. I mentioned DL with regards to HNL only. For OGG, HA looks like the best choice indeeed.
I'll probably stay on Maui first (unfortunately the Montage is sold-out), then on Lanai at Manele Bay. My priorities are relaxing and discovering beautiful landscapes.
On Maui, you have the FS Wailea. Staying in that area bring you closer to Haleakala and Hana, if you want day trips. The Wailea area is drier than the Kapalua area, where you could have tried the Ritz.

When you are on Lanai, ask about touring the petroglyph area. Otherwise, the Manele beach is the place to be.

Transport from Maui to Lanai can be on a small ship: Ask your hotel concierge for details.

If you want a referral for private transport from OGG to the hotel, PM me...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:23 pm

Thanks for all your replies. My first hotel is on Maui, which means I'll be flying LAX-OGG. The consensus seems to be that Hawaiian is the best option here.

My second hotel is on Lanai. Question: from Lanai, what's the best option to fly to DFW? Via HNL or via OGG? And, how to best get to HNL or OGG from Lanai?
I've never been to Hawaii and I'm not sure how long the transfer from one island to the other will take etc.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:38 pm

Thanks for all your replies. My first hotel is on Maui, which means I'll be flying LAX-OGG. The consensus seems to be that Hawaiian is the best option here.

My second hotel is on Lanai. Question: from Lanai, what's the best option to fly to DFW? Via HNL or via OGG? And, how to best get to HNL or OGG from Lanai?
I've never been to Hawaii and I'm not sure how long the transfer from one island to the other will take etc.

Thanks a lot.
You can do a 1-stop to DFW via HNL. These will involve the least total travel time. Your initial flight will be on HA's propeller division. The flight from LNY-HNL will take about 0.5 hour.

You might be interested in this TR on HA's lie flats:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post26918878
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:46 pm

You can do a 1-stop to DFW via HNL. These will involve the least total travel time. Your initial flight will be on HA's propeller division. The flight from LNY-HNL will take about 0.5 hour.

You might be interested in this TR on HA's lie flats:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post26918878
Perfect, thanks a a lot 747FC!
The TR is very interesting indeed, now I just need to find a way to be on that very plane, since there's apparently only one with that configuration.

Originally Posted by Troopers
That bird is currently flying the LAX-OGG route.
Thanks Troopers. Do you know whether the new plane is flying the 09:05 AM or the 12:20 PM service? Or does HA alternate?
EDIT: I just found out with the help of other posters on another thread, it's the 09:05AM flight.

Last question regarding this subject:
On the way back I have the choice of flying:
-AA OGG-PHX-DFW on a 757 or
-AA HNL-DFW on a 767.

Which one is the more modern/comfortable plane/cabin or are they similar?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 15, 2016 at 2:33 pm Reason: Multi-quote
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:36 am

Last question regarding this subject:
On the way back I have the choice of flying:
-AA OGG-PHX-DFW on a 757 or
-AA HNL-DFW on a 767.

Which one is the more modern/comfortable plane/cabin or are they similar?
While all your TR fans would love to get your pics LNY-OGG-PHX-DFW, do you really want a three-leg journey vs. a single connection? I can't imagine any 757 making me want it that bad
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:42 am

While all your TR fans would love to get your pics LNY-OGG-PHX-DFW, do you really want a three-leg journey vs. a single connection? I can't imagine any 757 making me want it that bad
Haha, good point 747FC...
I would only go with the three-leg journey if the 757 had a much superior cabin.
I've never flown on any AA bird and don't know what to expect really.
If both produts are similar I'll certainly fly via HNL.
Seatguru shows two versions of the 767, with one having a 1-2-1 config. Is that version ever used for HNL?
EDIT: I've spent a bit of time familiarising myself with the AA fleet and I'm happy with what I've got for my HNL-DFW leg: the new 763 with the 1-2-1 config.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 15, 2016 at 3:58 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Looking ahead to at least DEC 2017 and maybe even as late as FEB 2018, I'm planning a SEA-Hawaii trip in first class for myself, my wife, and an infant. Hawaii is not a typical destination for us, and I'm in need of some advice regarding the optimum miles strategy to get us there and back in the front of the plane.

Right now, I'm thick in AA miles and Chase points and comparatively thin in AS, UA, and DL miles. I carry and heavily use CSR, DL PLat AMEX, AA Plat...and have an SPG AMEX and UA MP Select that are both gathering dust.

Important to us (in priority):
Must be direct flight
Hard product comfort and AVOD. Love Delta One, but unsure if that's a possibility.
Soft product
Food (We tend to bring our own)
No preferred airline--it's all about points/miles...

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.