Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Fa Hz
I'm going to be there at the end of the month, i wonder how much things will change in the next weeks (im aware is unpredictable). It will be my first time in the big island and was hoping to see the lava flow, but i guess it will have to wait!
The only thing you can be sure of is that things will change. There are innumerable places where you can see old lava flows. Seeing current lava flows is extremely rare and generally unsafe. Enjoy your time on the Big Island. It's a wonderful place to visit.

The National Guard troops who had been deployed in Puna to help with the lava flow have been demobilized. They are keeping their equipment onsite in case the lava threatens homes and businesses again:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...va-flow-slows/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 10, 2016 at 5:20 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Just woke up in Hilo...after we hit the farmers market we were thinking of hunting for the flow . Or maybe going to Punalu'u for some bread.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

With volcanic activity continuing to be minimal, the official volcano alert has been reduced from warning to watch:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...ning-to-watch/
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onthego15
With volcanic activity continuing to be minimal, the official volcano alert has been reduced from warning to watch:
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...ning-to-watch/
Yeah, when I looked a few days ago, things were really quiet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:46 am

And for further emphasis of the lack of activity, the Hawaii Civil Defense will stop giving their daily updates on the lava flow, saying:
"It appears unlikely that lava will reoccupy the lava tube system and reactivate the flow near Pahoa".
See more at: http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20....wbnH6lV9.dpuf
Old May 1, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: HH Silver
Now would be a great time to visit VNP.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonde...ano/vi-BBiY1FX
Old May 1, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Now would be a great time to visit VNP.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonde...ano/vi-BBiY1FX
Yeah, and this show doesn't seem to pose any threat to the local population. Good for both the locals and viewing.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I saw some videos and photos of the lava flow yesterday and decided to go if I could do it easily. AA had two frequent flyer seats available from DFW to Kona for today. We have to fly via Houston and LAX but just via LAX on the way home. I found inexpensive lodging and car rental. We are in Houston now on our first layover. We will be at the volcano tomorrow.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
I saw some videos and photos of the lava flow yesterday and decided to go if I could do it easily. AA had two frequent flyer seats available from DFW to Kona for today. We have to fly via Houston and LAX but just via LAX on the way home. I found inexpensive lodging and car rental. We are in Houston now on our first layover. We will be at the volcano tomorrow.
Before getting on the plane, you might want to check accessibility of viewing. I don't think the area is open to public.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:24 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by 747FC
Before getting on the plane, you might want to check accessibility of viewing. I don't think the area is open to public.
There's great viewing at Volcano National Park at the Jaggar Museum overlook. The only problem is the crowds and traffic there. Might take awhile to get to the overflow parking lot, then it's about a 1 mile walk to the viewing point, but it's definitely open to the public.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
There's great viewing at Volcano National Park at the Jaggar Museum overlook. The only problem is the crowds and traffic there. Might take awhile to get to the overflow parking lot, then it's about a 1 mile walk to the viewing point, but it's definitely open to the public.
Yeah, this would be easy to see. I'd recommend a Hilo flight over a Kona flight if you could get one.

That said, what's currently going on doesn't seem worth a trip to me. Now if you're looking for an EXCUSE to get to the Big Island, that's another story.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:49 pm

Gee, thanks for the words of encouragement. No need to try to dampen my enthusiasm. I am now at LAX waiting for the flight to Kona. Flights to Hilo are not readily available using AA miles on short notice. Parking should not be a problem since I am with my poor, old decrepit mother who has a National Park Pass and a handicapped parking placard.

On our flight from IAH to LAX on American Eagle, we received an operational upgrade from coach to first due to weight distribution issues. Lunch was yummy - a shrimp Caesar salad. Much better than the complimentary snack that we would have received since we are both Executive Platinum - even my poor, old, decrepit mother who just clebrated her 81st birthday in Paris two weeks ago.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:39 pm

It is very nice to see this thread discussing actually seeing the lava flows within the National Park, instead of worrying if it will move through the town of Pahoa. ^
Old May 1, 2015, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Gee, thanks for the words of encouragement. No need to try to dampen my enthusiasm. I am now at LAX waiting for the flight to Kona. Flights to Hilo are not readily available using AA miles on short notice. Parking should not be a problem since I am with my poor, old decrepit mother who has a National Park Pass and a handicapped parking placard.
Sorry about the enthusiasm level. If you were IN Hawaii, it would be worth the trip for anyone interested in volcanoes. But the show isn't that spectacular (at least so far), and you won't get that close. But maybe I'm jaded.

BTW, have lunch at the Tuk-Tuk Thai food truck in the town of Volcano. For accommodations, I prefer the Pahoa area to Volcano, though. Too cold/rainy in Volcano for my taste.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:19 am

We arrived at the crater yesterday morning and were thrilled to see lava spurting in two different areas.when we returned later in the afternoon, a small shower resulted in a gorgeous rainbow by the crater. We returned at 3:00 AM today to view the volcano with the full moon and were simply stunned by the activity viewable. As we watched two more areas of lava broke through the crust and flared in the air. They joined and make a large fountain.

If you go at dark to see the lava, it is less crowded to go early in the morning than earlier in the evening. After sunset and until around 10:00 the crowds are close to a thousand, parking is impossible, and viewing is difficult because of the crowds. We are staying at a B &B in Volcano less than two mile from the park entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.