Wiki Posts
Search

Kauai with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Kauai with Kids

In a couple of weeks we will be going to Kauai for a week with our 8 and 5 year olds. We are out toward the end of 560 past Hanalei Bay in a rental house. One day will be spent on a Waimea Canyon road trip. I have seen tubing and ATV tours bit was wondering if anyone had any other good experiences. Also any dining/desert suggestions?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I loved the boat trip out to the Napali coast. How feasible that would be depends on your 5 year old, but some boat trip would likely be enjoyable.

There are some nice areas to walk to with beaches at the very end of the road you are on. Pack a picnic and enjoy that area, too.

I seem to remember a farmers market on some days in Hanalei, looks like it is Tuesday, may be worth a walk about.

When you are at Waimea Canyon, make sure to drive all the way up to the cliffs for a great view and refreshing breezes.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
The ATV tour on Kipu Ranch is a blast and your kids will love it. They'll love the mountain tubing as well. Waimea Canyon is alright, it's worth seeing once. You can throw in a trip to Pole'hale State park in the same trip. There's a fun little steakhouse over in Waimea that has decent food and is pretty affordable.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ghia74
In a couple of weeks we will be going to Kauai for a week with our 8 and 5 year olds. We are out toward the end of 560 past Hanalei Bay in a rental house. One day will be spent on a Waimea Canyon road trip. I have seen tubing and ATV tours bit was wondering if anyone had any other good experiences. Also any dining/desert suggestions?
The tubing is a hoot, especially on a hot day. The water is clean and cool - it's like bumper cars going downhill in giant inner tubes in the water. The guides are very fun and stay with you at all times to make sure there are no laggards. They swim along and then may go under water in the caves and jump up to startle the kids, who scream and then giggle uncontrollably. Great for all ages. There is also some great scenery on the ride up. You get the best views of Mount Waialeale (wettest place on earth) and they stop for pictures.

On your way to or from Waimea, I'd suggest Puka Dog (in Poipu) - always a favorite of kids. There is a Bubba's Burgers in Hanalei that they'd like as well. Lappert's Ice Cream and Papalani Gelato (you can Google for locations on the island (the latter is right next to Puka Dog). The best pizza is Brick Oven (in Kalaheo and Wailua).

If you and the kids like boat rides, I'd recommend a Napali Coast cruise on Captain Andy's. If you get a very early start the day of your Waimea Canyon trip (which is recommended anyway, because clouds roll in in the afternoon), you can get to Port Allen in time for an afternoon boat ride. Just make sure that you have an OTC remedy if any of you has a tendency toward seasickness.

Close to Hanalei is Princeville Ranch Adventures which has ziplining and horseback riding. The kids might also get a kick out of the Kilauea Lighthouse and the bird sanctuary nearby, with red footed boobies (something to laugh about and tell their friends when they get home).
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Thanks to all. Now all I need is some sunshine in the forecast and it should be a great trip.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Rain?

Great suggestions. Thanks to all. Now all I need is some sunshine in the forecast and it should be a great trip.
I have my fingers crossed for you, it rains ALOT in Hanelei. But there tends to be sunshine most days as well. its properly tropical in this way so you should be ok. If it looks really rainy then head over to the other side of the island and maybe stop in at the Hyatt over there, the weather is much sunnier over that side of the island, but the scenery is far far more beautiful in Hanelei. I have posted some photos on our blog (see below) from our stay in hanelei as i havent figured out how to add them to flyertalk yet..!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
I have my fingers crossed for you, it rains ALOT in Hanelei. But there tends to be sunshine most days as well. its properly tropical in this way so you should be ok. If it looks really rainy then head over to the other side of the island and maybe stop in at the Hyatt over there, the weather is much sunnier over that side of the island, but the scenery is far far more beautiful in Hanelei. I have posted some photos on our blog (see below) from our stay in hanelei as i havent figured out how to add them to flyertalk yet..!
We are 4 days in and it has only rained for more than a few minutes at night. We have been really fortunate. Did the tubing yesterday and the kids had a blast. After I am done writing this we will be getting in the car and headed to Waimea for the day. Once I do that and have a Puka Dog I will have checked off most of the major goals for the trip.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:40 am

We are 4 days in and it has only rained for more than a few minutes at night. We have been really fortunate. Did the tubing yesterday and the kids had a blast. After I am done writing this we will be getting in the car and headed to Waimea for the day. Once I do that and have a Puka Dog I will have checked off most of the major goals for the trip.
Since you'll be in Poipu for Puka Dog, you might want to try the Papalani Gelato (next door) or Lappert's Ice Cream also nearby. Also, your kids might get a kick out of the blow hole (Spouting Horn) too.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Key highlights from our trips, with kids from ages 3/8 through 9/14:

Kayaking on the Wailua River, with a hike up to the Hidden Valley Falls.

Hike the first 1/2 mile of the Kalalau Trail. We went all the way to the beach last summer, but we did the initial stretch to a great overlook when our kids were 8 and 3 (on a carrier on my back)

Snorkling at Tunnels? Or Ke'e

Lighthouse/Bird Sanctuary

Mini golf across the street near the Lighthouse?

Botanical Garden near where you're staying (I don't remember the name)

Na Pali cruise, though we took it from the south, when we stayed there. We didn't try on our last Princeville stay.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Heading to Kauai with wife and 6 year old in October. Staying at Hyatt. Happy to have found this thread. Any additional advice/recommendations are welcome.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by HSaxa
Heading to Kauai with wife and 6 year old in October. Staying at Hyatt. Happy to have found this thread. Any additional advice/recommendations are welcome.
The beach in front of the Hyatt is always very rough. If you want a beach experience, I'd recommend Poipu Beach where there is a very calm area for kids. It's a 5 minute drive or a walk of a little less than a mile.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Caves & more

The wet & dry caves will be fun with young kids. Bring a torch!

We hiked the Na Pali Coast (park at the beach, where the road ends) and its quite challenging.

Its worth noting that some of these attractions (e.g. coffee farm) are on the south shore - a big drive from Hanalei.

On the south coast (i.e. en route to Waimea Canyon) try snorkeling near the Sheraton (you can see sea turtles). We also saw monk seals sunning on the beach.

NB The best botanical garden is also on the south coast.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
A safe place for kids to swim is Lydgate State Park in Lihue. It has a protected swimming area and an extensive play area for kids.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
We found the spinner dolphins to be a huge unexpected delight on our boat ride on the Na Pali Coast.

Poipu has a protected beach called Baby Beach.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Can anyone shed light on the tubing referenced in this thread? Where / what company? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.