Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

2 day in Maui, 5 days in Oahu, must do's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 day in Maui, 5 days in Oahu, must do's?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I would have done five days on Maui, personally. Oahu is nice, but it's not my cup of tea, especially for five days. If you're the night life loving type, you'll enjoy Oahu, though.
+1

There is no way I would spend 5 days on Oahu over 5 days on Maui.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:11 pm

Look with just 2 days on Maui do not do the road to Hana. I understand the Andaz is amazing. Enjoy the 5 pools, great beach, and explore the shops at Wailea.

If you need adventure...drive up Haleakala for the sunset...just as good as sunrise but you do not get up at 3AM.

After the sunset, drive down the mountain and have a romantic dinner at Mama's Fish House in Paia. That should be your romantic treat!

It's right out of a Polynesian picture....it's in its own cove with its own little beach.

Take a stroll after dinner.

On Oahu if you want a great romantic dinner without breaking the bank...go to House Without A Key at the Halekulani hotel.

Beautiful ocean view, Hawaiian music, fantastic food at a "bargain" price compared to the other restaurants in this hotel!

A very Hawaiian vibe!

Enjoy!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I've been to Oahu 4 times (twice for vacation) and will finally get to Maui in December. Flights and accommodations are booked so i'm ready to do more planning.

I really debated on doing the Road to Hana and finally decided to book a private tour. I want the group to relax and enjoy it without stressing over the drive. A member of our group is heavily into photography so it's high on his list. We have 11 nights there so if it's not a good time there should still be plenty of time to do other things. (I'm really starting to wonder if we'll enjoy the day though).

Off to do a bit of searching for ideas....

Last edited by nichelle; Sep 19, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:29 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by edscholl
I would drive the road TOWARDS Hana - take your time, stop and check out some beaches, waterfalls, hikes... Don't worry about getting all the way to the end. :-)
I'll be 2.5 days in Maui, november. I mean, I arrive on nov 20 10:20am, and depart on nov 23 8:15am. My first plan included Road to Hana but after reading this thread I got second thoughts, specially knowing I can find some rains in late november.

Anyway what are the highlights around Hana to enjoy, in terms of beaches or waterfalls, if I finally decide to drive toward that área, but not the whole road?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:42 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Villavic
I'll be 2.5 days in Maui, november. I mean, I arrive on nov 20 10:20am, and depart on nov 23 8:15am. My first plan included Road to Hana but after reading this thread I got second thoughts, specially knowing I can find some rains in late november.

Anyway what are the highlights around Hana to enjoy, in terms of beaches or waterfalls, if I finally decide to drive toward that área, but not the whole road?
There are no large sandy beaches on the road (as far as I know), but what you will find is an amazing picturesque drive on a windy road leading up to a really cool hike leading to a huge waterfall (http://www.paradise-found-in-maui.co...oo-forest.html) as well as the "7 pools". Along the drive, you can pull off the road, hike a bit and jump off waterfalls into pools, if that's your thing. Personally, I like the drive and all the little and big things you find along the way. As others said, the day trip can be a big arduous because of all the driving and twisty roads, so if you're just looking for a nice beach to soak up some rays - this won't be a good choice.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:20 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by IBxAnders
There are no large sandy beaches on the road (as far as I know), but what you will find is an amazing picturesque drive on a windy road leading up to a really cool hike leading to a huge waterfall (http://www.paradise-found-in-maui.co...oo-forest.html) as well as the "7 pools". Along the drive, you can pull off the road, hike a bit and jump off waterfalls into pools, if that's your thing. Personally, I like the drive and all the little and big things you find along the way. As others said, the day trip can be a big arduous because of all the driving and twisty roads, so if you're just looking for a nice beach to soak up some rays - this won't be a good choice.
Thanks
Sandy beaches are not the only nor main target for this day, but nature in general, so great tips, thanks!!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Based upon your other posts, I'm thinking you are overly concerned about it being rainy. Yes, it may rain, but it is very rare that you'll get a tropical rain that lasts all day long or for days. Even in other months you may get rained on - and it will most likely be a soft gentle rain that doesn't last long. The Hawaiians call them "blessings"

Do not let the chance of rain stop you from doing anything.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The road to Hana is mostly about the road to Hana, not the destination. There's Waianapanapa, a black sand beach that's nice to look at, photograph, etc, but no beaches as on the northwest coast and elsewhere.

Going all the way to the back side of Haleakala and hiking through the bamboo forest on the Pipiwai trail, to the is the only other "destination" I can think of, having driven the road 4 times. But that's even farther than Hana.

There are lots of pull-outs, waterfalls, picnic areas, etc., but it's mostly the drive and lots of 10-30 minute stops, small hikes, picnic areas, photo ops, etc.

Haleakala summit at sunset is about the same as in the morning. But if you're flying in from the east, you'll probably be up at 3a anyway, so a morning visit might not be a bad thing. There's not much open at 4-7a, so it's a good option. And you can stop at Makawao for breakfast on the way back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.