Wiki Posts
Search

Hapuna Prince / Mauna Kea Beach Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Taking a weekend trip there. Does anyone have any recent experience eating a dinner at one of these properties? Recommendations for onsite restaurant/items to order? Not interested in venturing out. Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
We just finished a stay at the resort earlier this month. However, we rented a condo and did not stay (or eat) in either hotel although we have done so in the past. That being said, we have eaten at most of the on-site restaurants over the years although they have changed up the restaurants there over the past couple of years - renamed, re-branded and changed hours. Regarding the changed hours, not all restaurants are open all nights, so what will be available to you may depend on the nights you are there.

Our favorite is probably the Coast Grill at Hapuna (but I think it is closed on Saturday). It is somewhat less expensive than the places at Mauna Kea, and if you get outside seating, there is a great view of the ocean at sunset. I was generally not all that impressed with the Manta Wine Bar and associated restaurant at Mauna Kea when we ate there last year. Food was fine, but kind of expected more for the cost. There is a sushi place that is open on certain nights, as well as, their buffet on Saturday nights; the buffet has a great selection and is beachside which is nice, but it is mega-expensive.

I know you said you don't want to venture out, but we had a great meal at Merriman's in Waimea earlier this month. It is only about 15 minutes from the resort, so might be something you would want to consider.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:12 pm

It's been more than a year, but we used to stay at Hapuna. It had gone down hill quite a bit from a time it was quite exceptional. (except for the beach, which was wonderful as always). No experience with Mauna Kea except the beach; again, the beach is outstanding.

However, even in the good old days, the restaurants were disappointing and overpriced... I completely agree with suggestion of Merrimans.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, rocdoc and FriendlyTravelor. We are dining with local friends on Saturday. If we decide to stay in on Sunday, will try the Coast Grill. Thanks for the reminder on Merimans: Will see how we feel about moving out...

Last time we were at the Hapuna, there was an Oyster Bar that my wife really liked. Do you know if it is still there?

Mahalo!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:58 pm

I recall the Coast Grille being fine, though probably overpriced (surprise!).
Count me in for one more vote for Merriman's though.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I think the oyster bar is now part of the Coast Grill menu.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 pm
Suspended

As of a couple of years ago, my experience was that the Hapuna Prince had really gone downhill, but that the Mauna Kea was freshly renovated and looking as beautiful as ever. But at the time, you could get the Hapuna Prince for ~ $100 a night on Priceline, while the best available rate at the Mauna Kea was more than $350 a night and more typically at least $450. And as a result of the quality/price disparity between the two properties, Prince had really dialed back on the resort sharing privileges between the two places, lest you planned to pay the bargain rate at the Hapuna Prince, but spend all of your time at the much nicer Mauna Kea.

One more vote for Merrimans being well worth the excursion.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Trip Report: Hapuna was nice. Room had great ocean view, staff friendly. Food at breakfast buffet was fine, with plenty of options. Lunch at pool was mediocre, with salad greens old and sandwich too soaked with mayo. Bartender needs lesson on making bloody Mary's.

We did do dinner at Merrimans, and so glad we did. Kona lobster was available, but not on menu. It was 5-star and the best we have tasted in a longtime . Chocolate Packet out of this world. Service about the best in Hawaii. Ambiance great. Thanks to all who encouraged this visit.

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 4, 2014 at 12:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.