Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Help Me Plan My Trip to Hawaii" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Help Me Plan My Trip to Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:48 pm

Looking for some advice. Trying to help arrange a trip for a family member in September or October. The choices are the Big Island or Kauai. My questions is regarding weather on each of the islands. Where should I help them avoid during this time of year? There are some very reasonably priced and spectacular looking homes on VRBO in the Hilo area of the Big Island, but I've heard it's rainy season.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Looking for some advice. Trying to help arrange a trip for a family member in September or October. The choices are the Big Island or Kauai. My questions is regarding weather on each of the islands. Where should I help them avoid during this time of year? There are some very reasonably priced and spectacular looking homes on VRBO in the Hilo area of the Big Island, but I've heard it's rainy season.
It's always the rainy season in Hilo But that's also why it's so beautiful. Most of the rain in the non-winter months, though, comes at night, and the daytime showers usually pass quickly.

http://average-rainfall.findthebest....79/Hilo-Hawaii

October is one of the best times for the Hilo-side of the island; September can be hot and if the tradewinds die down, miserably humid.

October is usually very pleasant.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Here is a list of when hurricanes have hit Hawaii, by month:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...isted_by_month

Note the following: "The islands of Hawaii, with Kauai as the notable exception, appear to be remarkably immune from direct hurricane hits."

Personally, at that time of year, I would select Hawaii island. What side one goes to depends on how funky or classy one likes to be.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Both islands are great. Is weather the only consideration? BTW, I wouldn't let a concern for hurricanes stop me from going unless 22 (years since the last one) is your unlucky number.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shannon94188
Hi, still hoping to get some feedback on our trip to Kauai (after we spend a few nights on the Big Island) - we have 4 nights, and will be traveling with a toddler so we will still need to get back to a hotel for mid-day naps. Our current idea is to:
fly from Hilo to Kauai in the early evening
spend 2 nights north shore
spend 2 nights south shore (or swap the order)
fly home from LIH in the evening

Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a good area to stay in that isn't too far from Waimea Canyon for a day trip that is also within driving distance of north shore beauty?

thanks!
Depends on how well you guys travel from hotel to hotel. With all the stuff my family carries with them, it's a hassle checking in and out of hotels. Personally I prefer staying in one spot for each Island. The drive really isn't that bad to get where you're going on each island. I just took my family for 5 days at Hilton Waikaloa Village on the Big Island, and 4 days at the Kauai Marriott resort, and had a fantastic time! Day trips to the Volcano NP, Mauna Kea, Kona, Popoi, Waimea Canyon, local shopping, with plenty of beach and pool time in between!

I can tell you that Hilton Waikaloa is a great place for kids, the lagoon is very nice and tranquil, they also have a kiddies pool with a sand floor, and of course dolphinquest. We had a really nice room in the Makai tower that overlooked it all.

The Kauai Marriott is also a wonderful hotel for kids, there is a really nice kids pool with short slide, and the beach is fantastic, though when the surf is up you'll see lots of surfers and bodyboarders having fun there, and the waves get pretty fun when the tide comes in, though you need to be careful where they break! Almost lost my glasses there!!

Ok, back to eating my last Passion Fruit Guava Kauai Kookies, nom nom nom! Wow these are addictive! Need to order more!!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Ok, back to eating my last Passion Fruit Guava Kauai Kookies, nom nom nom! Wow these are addictive! Need to order more!!
A little off topic (and it pains me to say it since I'm about all things Kauai), but IMHO, Honolulu Cookie Company's cookies are far better.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:26 pm

Not concerned about hurricanes, more about rain and cloudiness during the day affecting what is expected to be a sunny vacation. This is for a family member who will be traveling with three young teenagers who like hiking, the outdoors, and affordable excursions/attractions.

It sounds like Hilo would be nice in October, but perhaps not September.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:49 pm

Not concerned about hurricanes, more about rain and cloudiness during the day affecting what is expected to be a sunny vacation. This is for a family member who will be traveling with three young teenagers who like hiking, the outdoors, and affordable excursions/attractions.

It sounds like Hilo would be nice in October, but perhaps not September.
To avoid the rain, to the extent possible, and with teenagers who, I presume, like the sun, I'd recommend Poipu Beach on Kauai. Reasonably close to Waimea Canyon for hiking and other outdoor activities. Lots of places to eat that they'd probably like too - Bubba Burgers, Puka Dog, Kalapaki Joe's, Da Crack.

I would guess the best guarantee of sun, however, would be the Kona Coast on the Big Island.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:59 am

I've been in both island (two different trips), one with my kids and another trip just with my husband for our anniversary. I wrote about the activities we enjoyed and some pictures in my blog

We enjoyed both island, but if I were to choose one, I wouldn't miss the Na'Pali Coast in Kauai.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 25, 2014 at 8:31 am Reason: Removed links to blog. Per the TOS, please post your content here rather than sending people to your blog. Thank you.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: status free since 2017
6 days: enough for kauai and big island?

Doing a family vacation (all adults) and could use some guidance in planning. Although it's a 8 day trip but I am losing 2 full days to travel which makes me question if the plan to visit 2 islands would be a little too much.

I am flying into LIH from mainland and fly out on day 3 to KOA. Looking at the map I realize big island is actually quite big! Haven't booked the hotel yet but it will be spg or Marriott property and these properties seem good bit ways from some of the national parks. Driving around won't be a big deal but it will be time consuming and I just want to have a fair estimate of time.

Is 6 days too much for either island? Should I focus on either island or visit both? I am not looking to rush things but given the diversity on islands, I want this to be more than my usual beach resort trips.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Jul 25, 2014 at 8:14 am
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Please also see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...solidated+many
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Doing a family vacation (all adults) and could use some guidance in planning. Although it's a 8 day trip but I am losing 2 full days to travel which makes me question if the plan to visit 2 islands would be a little too much.

I am flying into LIH from mainland and fly out on day 3 to KOA. Looking at the map I realize big island is actually quite big! Haven't booked the hotel yet but it will be spg or Marriott property and these properties seem good bit ways from some of the national parks. Driving around won't be a big deal but it will be time consuming and I just want to have a fair estimate of time.

Is 6 days too much for either island? Should I focus on either island or visit both? I am not looking to rush things but given the diversity on islands, I want this to be more than my usual beach resort trips.
Six days is not too much for either island, but three days is too short, unless you feel you'll never get back to Hawaii.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:57 am

Concur completely.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Six days is not too much for either island, but three days is too short, unless you feel you'll never get back to Hawaii.
This is definitely not once in a lifetime trip but HI a good distance from Chicago so it doesn't happen too often for me either. Personally, I'd rather explore an island properly and live it rather than hit couple of quick tourist spots and move-on. But I have a group of 5 to convince that one island won't be too boring.

Big Island has the awesome volcano national park and its the racing ground to Ironman championship ^ but Kauai seems to offer more privacy, better beaches, culinary hotspots. I am leaning towards Kauai because it sounds a little more relaxed (and I have award availability on fares) unless you guys think Big Island would be a better pick?

Last edited by carsnoceans; Jul 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
This is definitely not once in a lifetime trip but HI a good distance from Chicago so it doesn't happen too often for me either.

Personally, I'd rather explore an island properly and live it rather than hit couple of quick tourist spots and move-on. But I have a group of 5 to convince that one island won't be too boring.

Big Island has the awesome volcano national park and its the racing ground to Ironman championship ^ But Kauai seems to offer more privacy, beaches, culinary hotspots.... Would you guys suggest Kauai or Big Island for first visit?
As you can see from my profile, I spend a lot of time on Kauai (4-6 weeks each year and never get bored), so that would be my recommendation, but you won't go wrong either way and you're not going to be bored either way.

Just as an example, if you stayed around Poipu and you like to keep busy, depending upon your interests, one day at Waimea Canyon, one day doing a Napali Coast boat ride, another doing zipline or horseback riding or back country tubing or snorkeling, another exploring the north shore, a beach day (or time at the beginning of the day or the end at a beach near one of your activities), hiking, botanical gardens, etc., etc. Trust me, you'll be exhausted every evening and you'll leave the island realizing you didn't have time to do everything you wanted to do. And, you'll feel the same way if you choose the Big Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.