Wiki Posts
Search

Help please-cane burn forcing us out of condo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Help please-cane burn forcing us out of condo

Wife and I rented an ocean-front condo for a week in S. Kihei (Maui). Second day in, and they've started burning the sugar cane near Ma'aalea. The smoke is so think that we can't see out the windows, and our belongings are covered in ash.

My wife has very bad asthma, so we must leave.

Question: is there any place on the island we can go to rescue our vacation? I'd prefer to spend less than $350/night since we can't get back what we paid for the condo.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:32 am

your best bet as long as we have trade winds is probably to find something on the west side. There's lots of condos on the west side (Kaanapali, etc)

Kihei is downwind of most of the cane fields, but I don't know if the one near Maalea is the one that got you. We've had trade winds this week, so not sure if that's the one that got you or not. Looks like they might have been working on a couple of fields above Kihei also.

http://hcsugar.com/sugarcane-burn-schedule/
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
your best bet as long as we have trade winds is probably to find something on the west side. There's lots of condos on the west side (Kaanapali, etc)

Kihei is downwind of most of the cane fields, but I don't know if the one near Maalea is the one that got you. We've had trade winds this week, so not sure if that's the one that got you or not. Looks like they might have been working on a couple of fields above Kihei also.

http://hcsugar.com/sugarcane-burn-schedule/
Thanks for your suggestions and the link. We could see the origin - it was definitely Maalea.

We couldn't get our act together to move - so instead, we left the condo very early yesterday and came back in late afternoon (went down the Hana Highway for a few hours, then sat at the beach at Baldwin Park). We planned to do the same today, but for whatever reason, there's no burn, so we're enjoying our balcony.

We've had trade winds here this week, but nothing like what we saw in Anahola last week.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Cane burns are a part of life in Maui. Each year we travel, we notice cane burns. Typically it does affect breathing, but pick a place of accommodation that is away from the cane burns. Typically it'll be around the airport area, so if you go south or north away from the valley, you should do better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.