Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I used this company in 2013 at Lihue Airport and was very pleased. The prices was much lower and all I gave up was 250 frequent flyer miles.

I am trying to use them again in February, and my experience is much worse. Each time I go to confirm a rate, they say "sorry, its no longer available". Their lowest rate is barely comparable with costco.com Moreover, they are invariably with Enterprise i.e. not a company I have any experience dealing with?

Have any FT's had a more positive recent experience with Discount Hawaii Car Rental? Am I missing something?
In the last year, I have found that Costco has beaten Discount Hawaii every time - at least for my particular dates, so perhaps you're better off anyway. By the way, Enterprise/Alamo/National are all the same company. In LIH, Enterprise and National share the same location. However, former will be cheaper and they have the same cars. Additionally, they will let you credit the points to National.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Thanks for this! Interesting anecdote............I told Discount their rates were too high (@ $435), so they came back with a new rate - $266 for a weekly 4 wheel drive with Alamo.

When I confirmed, and now the res is with Enterprise!

All (it seems) is well that ends well.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: WN, UA, HHonors, MR
I've been playing the rental car roulette game, using costco and DWCR. What started as a 7 day rate of $230 for a compact has turned into $218 for a premium. I don't see it getting better than that, so now I'm curious as to what I can expect from a PCAR with Budget at HNL these days, and how well their FastBreak works.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
IME you are not going to get FastBreak and - indeed - FF points if you book through Discount Car & Truck Rentals. The last time I rented through them I was told - point blank - we are happy to add your FF # to the reservation, but it will change the rate!
(I am happy to be proven wrong on this, but that's my experience...........)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
IME you are not going to get FastBreak and - indeed - FF points if you book through Discount Car & Truck Rentals. The last time I rented through them I was told - point blank - we are happy to add your FF # to the reservation, but it will change the rate!
(I am happy to be proven wrong on this, but that's my experience...........)
You do get the points when you reserve through Costco, I believe.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You do get the points when you reserve through Costco, I believe.
The current res is with Costco, and they do provide a space to enter a rapidrez/fastbreak number. When I check the reservation on the budget site, it indicates it is rapidrez. I honestly could care less about the points, just hoping for some line skipping opportunities.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:27 am

I just booked a 5 day rental, full size with Thrifty, for about $40 less than everyone else is showing for a compact / economy car. I used the Capital One rewards portal to get this rate.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:09 pm

Is that $40 less than Costco and DHCR?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:06 am

Sam. I don't have a Costco membership, but from all the sites the best I was seeing for economy cars was ~$200 and I got my full size for ~$160. Even AutoSlash was over $200
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:06 am

Hi all, I could use some updated information on car rentals in HNL. I'll be flying in on Hawaiian air (interisland flight) - are any of the car rental agencies walkable? If so which ones?

Also, I've been looking at discount hawaii car rental and Chase Ultimate Rewards portal - is there anywhere I should be looking for better rates?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Hi all, I could use some updated information on car rentals in HNL. I'll be flying in on Hawaiian air (interisland flight) - are any of the car rental agencies walkable? If so which ones?

Also, I've been looking at discount hawaii car rental and Chase Ultimate Rewards portal - is there anywhere I should be looking for better rates?

Thanks!
There is a (fairly) new rental centre in the parking garage of the overseas terminal which has consolidated a lot of the companies into one place. Five companies are located there: Advantage, Avis, Budget, Hertz and National. The others (Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty etc) are off airport and not walkable. Enterprise likes to say they are on-airport but they are not part of the rental centre and are farther away.

Whether the rental centre is walkable from the inter-island terminal is a matter of perspective. It isn't far - I always walk, but I travel light. I have a friend who always takes the shuttle, which serves all 5 companies (you don't look for a specific Budget branded shuttle, for example). It isn't far but it depends on your willingness to walk and how much stuff you have to drag along. If you are arriving at the overseas terminal, it is directly across the street so you just walk over. The off-airport locations are a short shuttle ride away (~5 mins) and are definitely not-walkable (unless you really know what you're doing and have no luggage). For Enterprise, I would walk but I know where it is and travel light. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Have a look here: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/car-rentals

Last edited by Finkface; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
There is a (fairly) new rental centre in the parking garage of the overseas terminal which has consolidated a lot of the companies into one place. Five companies are located there: Advantage, Avis, Budget, Hertz and National. The others (Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty etc) are off airport and not walkable. Enterprise likes to say they are on-airport but they are not part of the rental centre and are farther away.

Whether the rental centre is walkable from the inter-island terminal is a matter of perspective. It isn't far - I always walk, but I travel light. I have a friend who always takes the shuttle, which serves all 5 companies (you don't look for a specific Budget branded shuttle, for example). It isn't far but it depends on your willingness to walk and how much stuff you have to drag along. If you are arriving at the overseas terminal, it is directly across the street so you just walk over. The off-airport locations are a short shuttle ride away (~5 mins) and are definitely not-walkable (unless you really know what you're doing and have no luggage). For Enterprise, I would walk but I know where it is and travel light. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Have a look here: http://hawaii.gov/hnl/ground-transportation/car-rentals
Thanks! Very helpful. I've booked through Advantage (despite reading some bad reviews online) on discount hawaii car rental.

Anyone can recommend other places to look for price comparisons for car rentals in Hawaii?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Thanks! Very helpful. I've booked through Advantage (despite reading some bad reviews online) on discount hawaii car rental.

Anyone can recommend other places to look for price comparisons for car rentals in Hawaii?
Track it with Autoslash. They have never failed to get me a better deal.
https://www.autoslash.com
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Track it with Autoslash. They have never failed to get me a better deal.
https://www.autoslash.com
Done! Already got a (slight) discount on a different reservation. Thanks so much for the suggestion!! ^
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: United Platinum
HNL Car Rental - Avoiding a shuttle

Does anyone know which companies have desks & cars at HNL without us having to take a shuttle?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.