Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Kama'aina Discount question

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

I am a Hawaii resident with a Hawaiian ID card. I don't drive. Recently, a number of businesses have told me they are cracking down and only accepting Hawaii driver's license for Kama'aina discount. Does anyone know about this rule of only driver's license for the local discount? Any suggestions?
Old May 29, 2012, 6:49 pm

A lot of people don't drive, though it seems like they do at rush hour. There's a news release that ID's are being issued from a central location (hawaii.gov), to prevent fraud. I can't imagine a state ID wouldn't be acceptable for Kama'aina discounts--you need to prove residency, not that you can drive. Frankly, a lot of discounts are given just to promote business.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA*back to GM, DL Silver, HA-29 segments and counting
I've found that a photo ID indicating that you reside in Hawaii works, but a lot of the local restaurants and bars seem to be reducing local benefits or discounts.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Starwood Hotels require a HDL for the discount, and I've seen this enforced by some front desk clerks. So at least one major hotel chain has a concern of fraud.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
Starwood Hotels require a HDL for the discount, and I've seen this enforced by some front desk clerks. So at least one major hotel chain has a concern of fraud.
And some of us visit so often that we feel like Kama'aina
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

Most of the crackdown is because of lots of snobirds try to get Id cards for discounted golf rates.
It's really for actual residents ( who file income tax in Hawaii) not part timers who think they are or feel like they are kama'áina ( sorry beckoa)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tony10s
Most of the crackdown is because of lots of snobirds try to get Id cards for discounted golf rates.
It's really for actual residents ( who file income tax in Hawaii) not part timers who think they are or feel like they are kama'áina ( sorry beckoa)
No worries

But glad to be back in the 50th state (love the N/S from the 49th state)
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
most places I know...usually you can bring a bill or something saying that you have a hawaii address and they will usually accept it(for instance Hanauma bay)...but yeah or you can just get a state id...or even your passport should do...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
When you apply for a Hawaii DL, you have to forfeit you previous states DL, but for an ID, you don't. There's a lot of cheaters who get a Hawaii ID just for the discount , therefore many places are no longer accepting the ID. Maybe you should show your voter registration or library card.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's actually easier to get a Hawai'i DL than a state ID - so I'm not sure why businesses would be less favorable to a state ID card. You can be a resident of any state and get a Hawai'i DL - not only that, they'll print any address you want on it, even from another state or country! No proof of residency is required, just an address.

For the State ID card you need a lease, utility bill or some other proof of actual Hawaiian residency that other states normally require for a drivers license.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's actually easier to get a Hawai'i DL than a state ID - so I'm not sure why businesses would be less favorable to a state ID card. You can be a resident of any state and get a Hawai'i DL - not only that, they'll print any address you want on it, even from another state or country! No proof of residency is required, just an address.

For the State ID card you need a lease, utility bill or some other proof of actual Hawaiian residency that other states normally require for a drivers license.
At least for hotels, most require a HDL with a Hawaii address, IME.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Wow... need to look into this a bit more
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

HONOLULU – New requirements for individuals who want to renew, reinstate and apply for a Hawaii state driver’s license or learner’s permits will take effect on Monday, March 5, 2012. Individuals will have to provide proof of their legal name, birth date, Social Security Number and legal presence in the United States at all county Motor Vehicle, Licensing and Permits Division offices.

The following are examples of documents that will prove everything but a Social Security Number:
An original or certified copy of a birth certificate filed with a state Department of Health or equivalent agency in the individual’s state of birth
A valid, un-expired U.S. passport
A valid, un-expired permanent resident card issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Form I-551
A certificate of naturalization issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Form N-550
A certificate of citizenship issued by the DHS, Form N-560
A valid foreign passport with Visa and Form I-94, issued by Customs and Border Protection, DHS
The following are examples of the documents that will provide proof of an individual’s Social Security Number:

A valid social security card
A Medicare ID card (Suffix A, M, T and TA only – indicates Social Security Number for the person named on the card)
Wage and Tax Statement Form W-2 or 1099R, provided the Social Security Number is printed on the document, original or certified copy
SSA-1099 form, from a previous year, original or certified copy

Additional requirements may apply. For instance, married women who have changed their last names must also provide a valid or certified copy of their marriage licenses.

A full list of all potential documents, new requirements and frequently asked questions can be found at hawaii.gov/dot. Links to the site are also available on all four county websites.
The new requirements are mandated by the Legal Presence Act in accordance with Act 38 of the 2010 state legislative session.
In conjunction with implementation of the Legal Presence Act, all counties will begin issuing 60-day temporary licenses. Upon completion of all document verifications, a plastic license will be mailed within two weeks unless issues come up during processing.

For more information or interviews on the new requirements, contact state Department of Transportation spokesman Dan Meisenzahl at 587-2160 (office), 265-5239 (cellular) or via e-mail at [email protected].
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tony10s
HONOLULU – New requirements for individuals who want to renew, reinstate and apply for a Hawaii state driver’s license or learner’s permits will take effect on Monday, March 5, 2012. Individuals will have to provide proof of their legal name, birth date, Social Security Number and legal presence in the United States at all county Motor Vehicle, Licensing and Permits Division offices.
This doesn't change anything for US citizens or permanent residents (or Canadian citizens) - legal presence refers to being in the US legally, not permanently present or resident in Hawai'i.

The State ID card still requires proof of Hawaiian residency, however.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Here's an idea

I am thinking out loud. I will buy some tents and set them up on my coffee farm. I will number each tent, like a street address. Each time you visit the islan, you pick some coffee for me. One of you can put my electric bill in your name, one the water bill, etc.

That way you have a local address and a utility bill in your name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.