Wiki Posts
Search

Options for getting from Lahaina to South Makena

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Options for getting from Lahaina to South Makena

I'll be taking a ferry into Lahaina early afternoon and need to get to South Makena for an event and then back to Lahaina at around 9PM. I thought about renting a car, but the rental car office closes at 5PM. Are there any other options? Taxi's seem very expensive.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by araknis
I'll be taking a ferry into Lahaina early afternoon and need to get to South Makena for an event and then back to Lahaina at around 9PM. I thought about renting a car, but the rental car office closes at 5PM. Are there any other options? Taxi's seem very expensive.
Rent a car. You may have to leave it outside the rental office after hours.

Bus would take hours.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Rent a car. You may have to leave it outside the rental office after hours.

Bus would take hours.
Got it. The representative at Discount Hawaii Car Rentals told me that there was no after hours key drop off and that I would need to return it the next morning or before the office closes. I called the car rental company directly to clarify and there is an after hours key drop off. I can't believe how uneducated some of these CSRs are!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:12 pm

Dollar is open until 11pm at the airport
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, SPG Platinum, DL MM
Try Hertz as they have a West Maui( Lahina) office that will pick you up at the dock. They might accept late returns.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I just completed my trip and thought I would update this thread. I ended up renting from Alamo (through discounthawaiicarrentals.com - $31.80AI/day. Rental facility was about a 15 minute shuttle ride from the dock. When I returned at night, I just used the after hours drop box and took a taxi back to the dock ($20).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.