Search

HNL hotel advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
HNL hotel advice needed

My wife and I will be spending a week on the big island and Maui, but need a hotel for one night on each of the front end and the back end on Honolulu. We arrive on a Fri night at around 7:15pm, and depart the next day out of HNL at 6:25pm, so we'll have most of the day in Honolulu. On the return, we arrive into HNL on the following Sat. at 1:00p, and depart the next day at 7:20am.

Here is what I am considering, although I am open to suggestions:

One option is to stay sub $200, at which price (using corporate rates), I can get a room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, the Waikiki Beach Marriott, or Hotel Renew (which gets very good reviews on tripadvisor, for what that's worth).

Alternatively, I can go higher end and book the Royal Hawaiian ($405, but with breakfast and a $100 credit by booking with virtuoso), or the Trump (which is offering a special rate of $255 on our arrival date -- the rate is not available for our second stay).

So my inclination is to take advantage of The Trump's great rate for our first stay, and then to stay elsewhere for our second stay. Make sense? Which property to folks recommend for the second stay?

BTW, for anyone looking to take advantage of the special Trump rate, you must book it today, Feb. 29. Valid for stays through April 30, subject to availability.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
If not mistaken hotel renew is a refurbished older hotel that was the secondary ( lower end part ) part of the old Aston Waikiki Beach hotel
It was Behind that hotel
I seem to remember some controversy over the validity or such of those reviews .

The Trump is a brand new place.
The Royal Hawaiian was refurbished recently
The Waikiki Marriott is fin but the rearmost tower has small rooms
I'd pick the Trump one night,
Then one of the other 3 the next night skipping Hotel Renew
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta
You might want to think about hotels in different areas of Waikiki for the 2 nights, just to have a different perspective. Here's a map that shows the locations of hotels in relation to each other.

http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We'll be doing the Trump for five nights in a suite for a bit less than what you're paying March 22nd this month.. but in my research Trump is rated very highly on www.tripadvisor.com .. comments are very positive about this hotel.

I think of paying the bucks to the Donald, as an opportunity to get fired.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
The first night, when you arrive at 7:15pm local time, consider what time it will be back home. Because that's how you'll FEEL when you arrive. The one time we arrived in HNL at 7:30pm (1:30am Ohio time), we did little else than flop into bed when we finally arrived at our hotel room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We'd been up for almost 24 hours at that point. We were asleep by 9:30pm.

The next morning, we awoke at 5am, showered, packed, then went down to breakfast at the resort. We put our luggage into storage at the hotel, checked out (since check out was 11am, and we knew we wouldn't be back by then), then headed off to Pearl Harbor ~6:30am. The USS Arizona, Mighty Mo, and Bowfin tours took all morning. After lunch, we headed back to our hotel to retrieve our luggage, then back to the airport to return our rental car and catch our flight to Maui. Besides sleeping and showering there, we didn't enjoy our resort at all.

So my advice for night #1 is to simply go to the hotel that is the most reasonable, and that has the latest check-out time.

My second bit of advice is to book your USS Arizona tour online, since another poster reported that you can do that now.

My third bit of advice is to book the Explorer's Tour on the Mighty Mo. We've done both the audio tour and the guided tour, and we got so much more out of the latter.

I'd definitely opt for the nicer hotel on the back end of your trip, for lots of reasons. First, you'll be rested and able to enjoy what you're paying for. Secondly, because you have a nice stretch of time to enjoy it. Finally, HNL can be a bit jarring after the peace of Maui and Big Island, so you'll want a resort with the nicest pool and grounds possible, so that your last night on the islands can end on a positive note. Check-in times (2pm or 3pm, generally) will work really well with your 1pm flight. I wouldn't even bother renting a car because there won't be much time for sightseeing since dusk falls so early on the islands. (~6:30pm this time of year, IIRC)

And this brings me to my final bit of advice: For future reference, many major airlines allow you to fly into one island (Maui) and out of another (Big Island) on the same RT itinerary. No need to involve HNL at all, unless you really want to (or need to because of award seat availability). I did not know this the first time I flew to Hawaii.

On our last trip, we flew into Big Island on Delta, took a puddle jumper from Hawaiian Air to Maui, then flew home from Maui on Delta, for $1200 all-in. That was far less time, hassle, and money than it would have cost us to fly into HNL, puddle-jump to BI, puddle-jump to Maui, puddle-jump to HNL, then fly home from HNL.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
I assume you've chosen by now, but the Trump didn't impress me. For the life of me I don't understand how it gets the reviews it does.

For the first night I'd consider the Hawaii Prince at the entrance of Waikiki. I've stayed there on business trips so I don't have to deal with the mess of Waikiki. You might like that later in the evening so you can get to your hotel quicker and unwind. It is right by Ala Moana Mall.

On the return trip I might look at the Hyatt Regency or Moana Surfrider, if the Royal Hawaiian is a little too much. If you want something small and modern, The Modern is a nice adult hotel and so is the Waikiki Parc Hotel.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
I assume you've chosen by now, but the Trump didn't impress me. For the life of me I don't understand how it gets the reviews it does.

For the first night I'd consider the Hawaii Prince at the entrance of Waikiki. I've stayed there on business trips so I don't have to deal with the mess of Waikiki. You might like that later in the evening so you can get to your hotel quicker and unwind. It is right by Ala Moana Mall.

On the return trip I might look at the Hyatt Regency or Moana Surfrider, if the Royal Hawaiian is a little too much. If you want something small and modern, The Modern is a nice adult hotel and so is the Waikiki Parc Hotel.
Welcome to FT!

I think the Trump Waikiki gets its high ratings because of value received.. In a suite for the rate of paid with a full kitchen, lanai, views, and full service. Excellent.

Will stay and report back..
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

We ended up staying at The Trump our first night, and the Hilton Hawaiian Village at the end of our trip.

Other than constantly cringing at the name, we liked the Trump a lot. We had a beautiful and exceedingly comfortable room with a great view at a great price. That it was walking distance to Eggs 'n Things was a bonus! (To avoid having to wait for a table, I put our name in and got a beeper as I returned from a morning run around Diamond Head. I then went back to the hotel and showered -- during which the beeper sounded -- and when we returned they seated us right away!)

On our return, we selected the Hilton because we couldn't get a good rate back at the Trump, and because the Hilton is on the side of Waikiki closer to the airport. Although we didn't care for the faux "Hawaiian village," and checking in was like checking in to a massive Las Vegas hotel (chaos and long lines in the lobby), once we got to our room -- a corner room in the rainbow tower with two balconies and stunning views -- we were quite happy. Not as nice as the Trump, but nice nonetheless. Near the Hilton we found a wonderful Japanese restaurant called Chiba-Ken. Although only a 5-minute walk from the hotel, it was off the typical tourist path. We chose it because it looked lovely and appeared to be patronized mostly by Japanese (for whatever that's worth; we took it as a good sign!). We were rewarded with a delicious and moderately priced meal.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Blumie
. . .
Near the Hilton we found a wonderful Japanese restaurant called Chiba-Ken. Although only a 5-minute walk from the hotel, it was off the typical tourist path. We chose it because it looked lovely and appeared to be patronized mostly by Japanese (for whatever that's worth; we took it as a good sign!). We were rewarded with a delicious and moderately priced meal.
I've eaten here a few times and been happy. There is a laundry a few steps down the street from the restaurant that I use when staying at the DT or HHV.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
On our return, we selected the Hilton because we couldn't get a good rate back at the Trump, and because the Hilton is on the side of Waikiki closer to the airport. Although we didn't care for the faux "Hawaiian village," and checking in was like checking in to a massive Las Vegas hotel (chaos and long lines in the lobby), once we got to our room -- a corner room in the rainbow tower with two balconies and stunning views -- we were quite happy. Not as nice as the Trump, but nice nonetheless. Near the Hilton we found a wonderful Japanese restaurant called Chiba-Ken. Although only a 5-minute walk from the hotel, it was off the typical tourist path. We chose it because it looked lovely and appeared to be patronized mostly by Japanese (for whatever that's worth; we took it as a good sign!). We were rewarded with a delicious and moderately priced meal.
Blumie, the key at the HHV is to get in the Ali'i Tower. They have their own registration desk, private pool and deck, private workout room, etc. It is like staying at a boutique hotel on the HHV grounds. Unfortunately it used to be better with a complimentary concierge room with coffee, fruit and pastries in the morning and then snacks throughout the day, but alas, those perks are gone.

The separate check-in though makes the tower worth every penny.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:02 am
Suspended

Just checked into the Trump Waikiki and our initial impression is that our one bedroom suite is fantastic. Much attention to detail such as oversized shampoo bottles, soap, dental kit.. The kitchen is Subzero and Wolf appliance outfitted. the entire suite shows 10 out of 10 for cleanlieness. There is the fuzzy floor mats in front of the sinks, the robes has an inner warm lining that my wife appreciates. The air conditioning works ice cold, but all in all, being in the suite, it just feels rights with the right amount of sound proofing. I've been in buildings where everything shows well, but can't put my finger on it why the suite doesn't feel right.

The once thing we noticed is that the ceilings are low through the hall ways and the room.. there is two tvs, and the couch set up is good, the service from valet to room was excellent at check in. From the laundry kit, to the 10 mm glass in the shower, oversized tub, two flat screens, furniture, and decor selection.. attention to detail has been apparent. I still prefer the two Fairmont Hawaii properties, but certainly though our first visit to Oahu has been over and above here at Trump Waikiki.^
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Just checked into the Trump Waikiki and our initial impression is that our one bedroom suite is fantastic.
If you don't mind my asking, what do they ask per night here for a suite?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Recreation
It isn't a "suite" per se, the Trump is a condo-hotel.

Compared to Halekulani, Kahala Resort, JW and Royal Hawaiian, I find the Trump severely lacking. I found the environment very cold and sterile. I liked the staff, not the hotel.

It might be a good option for a family that needs a condo, but if I wanted luxury in Waikiki it would be Halekulani followed by Royal Hawaiian.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Recreation
It isn't a "suite" per se, the Trump is a condo-hotel.

Compared to Halekulani, Kahala Resort, JW and Royal Hawaiian, I find the Trump severely lacking. I found the environment very cold and sterile. I liked the staff, not the hotel.

It might be a good option for a family that needs a condo, but if I wanted luxury in Waikiki it would be Halekulani followed by Royal Hawaiian.
Check it out at www.jetluxury.com.

Noticed Halekulani is a couple blocks down. www.tripadvisor.com rates Trump #1 in Waikiki, but that wasn't why we chose to stay here (as I'm presently typing the review at the Trump). I prefer a resort, with ocean front grounds.. but dear to my family, we love Trump and what it provides.. attention to detail everywhere, a full kitchen that makes everything functional, and a washer and dryer in the condo. If we can book in the same fashion the next time in Oahu and we stay for less than a week, we will book Trump over all else hands down, and we usually stay at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts as our first choice. Centrally located, all shopping and dining is within 2 or 3 blocks that you would immediately need. Plus the ability to walk ocean front makes Trump a suitable location in Waikiki.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Noticed Halekulani is a couple blocks down. www.tripadvisor.com rates Trump #1 in Waikiki
The same TripAdvisor that lists Sushi Sasabune as the #1 restaurant in Honolulu with Leonard's Bakery and Yogurtland as the #4 & 5 restaurants in Honolulu?

With a bad pool area, poor sight lines and not being on the beach there are certainly better hotel choices than Trump. When I am at a luxury hotel, if I want laundry done, I send it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.