Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9:00 pm downtown Kona-where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

9:00 pm downtown Kona-where to go?

Our friends and I arrive at 8:30 and we are staying at King K. We can not tell from their site what is open there but I read the nearby Splashers closes at 9. If you have stayed in the area what is close and open? Now that I have your attention what is cab fare and is the speedy shuttle worth arranging? (Our van rental starts next day). Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by gregillinois
Our friends and I arrive at 8:30 and we are staying at King K. We can not tell from their site what is open there but I read the nearby Splashers closes at 9. If you have stayed in the area what is close and open? Now that I have your attention what is cab fare and is the speedy shuttle worth arranging? (Our van rental starts next day). Thanks
Are you referring to the Marriott Courtyard King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
You should check out:www.konaweb.com where there is a very active visiting Forum also pick up a copy of Big Island Revealed. Across the street from the King Kam is Quinn's a local bar. The Kona Brewing Company is also within walking distance. Going South on Alii Drive There are: Fish Hopper, Tante's, Kona Inn, Bubba Gumps, Outback Steak House, Humpy's. Ocean's, Lulu's, Bongo Ben's and Huggo's. The question will be how many will be open that late. Kona is not known for its night life. Enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by gregillinois
See www.konaweb.com for lots of suggestions. There are a LOT of places open past 9PM.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Bowling

There is a bowling ally there and the local food is decent for late night (we were hungry after a delayed flight from the mainland)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beckoa
bowling :d

there is a bowling ally there and the local food is decent for late night (we were hungry after a delayed flight from the mainland) :d
rotflmao
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Bowling

There is a bowling ally there and the local food is decent for late night (we were hungry after a delayed flight from the mainland)
Well, it's ok if you've got the balls to do it....
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A nice local hangout is Sam Choy's.. a new restaurant and full service lounge, but the talk of the town apparently.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A nice local hangout is Sam Choy's.. a new restaurant and full service lounge, but the talk of the town apparently.
Great views too - sadly we didn't stop in during December- wanted to, but we ended up cooking most nights.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Not certain I would send these folks out to Sam Choy's Kai Lanai on their arrival night.

It sounds like they are without wheels that first evening (for some reason??)...and the trek down to Kai Lanai from The Marriott Courtyard would just be more $$$$. Not to mention Kai Lanai closes 9-9:30 depending on day of the week.

If this late evening arrival (relatively) is from the Mainland...and one can assume they are coming from Illinois area??? They are going to be beat...Their time clocks will be hovering around 0230 hrs once they get to the Hotel. Not sure how much of a meal..one would be up for at that point....
Taxi will be close to $35-$40
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Great views too - sadly we didn't stop in during December- wanted to, but we ended up cooking most nights.
The old Wendy's with million dollar ocean views. Great food, great price.. they threw in a salad and soup for us and the kids, no charge. My Mac nut chicken was to die for.

Originally Posted by Executrip
Not certain I would send these folks out to Sam Choy's Kai Lanai on their arrival night.

It sounds like they are without wheels that first evening (for some reason??)...and the trek down to Kai Lanai from The Marriott Courtyard would just be more $$$$. Not to mention Kai Lanai closes 9-9:30 depending on day of the week.

If this late evening arrival (relatively) is from the Mainland...and one can assume they are coming from Illinois area??? They are going to be beat...Their time clocks will be hovering around 0230 hrs once they get to the Hotel. Not sure how much of a meal..one would be up for at that point....
Taxi will be close to $35-$40
This year at Big Island.

Our arrival night we came in 7:30 pm.. didn't get into the rental vehicle until 8:30 pm.. hit Walmart.

We ate the Denny's at around 10:00 pm.. Perhaps that would be a good arrival night hangout.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

We ate the Denny's at around 10:00 pm.. Perhaps that would be a good arrival night hangout.
Sack n Save should be open until 11 or Midnight- could pick up some good local stuff there (mmm poke)

Also a fan of Humpys - snagged a menu last trip, did not partake though. If its as good as the original in ANC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.