Two weeks in Maui???

Subscribe
Is two weeks in Maui at a Wailea resort too long? Traveling as a family with 3 kids, 9,7 and 3 between Christmas and New Years.
For me, two weeks in Wailea wouldn't be an issue at all, but I'm sure many would disagree. What are your specific concerns?
I don't know how your kids are or how you are. I don't mean that in a bad way just that do your kids, spouse and yourself like to travel around or lounge by the pool? One option could be to spend a week up in Kaanapali and then a week down in Wailea. You would almost get to different experinces. Which resort in Wailea are you staying at if I may ask? Also, are you getting two rooms or a suite? Over in Kaanapali, maybe a two bedroom condo would do nicely. There are a couple that are right on the beach. I just stayed at the Kaanapali Alii. I had a two bedroom, two bath that was ocean front. It was expensive but it was school vacation. It was a really nice, high end condo. Any other questions please ask.
If I were doing that amount of time in Maui, I would do 6 days each in Wailea/Makena and Ka'anapali/Kapalua plus 2 days, one night in Hana.

Another option to consider is to cut the larger segments to 5 days each and add 2 days/nights in Lanai as well, crossing on the Lanai ferry from Lahaina.

If you've never been to Maui, and don't need your itinerary to be jam-packed with activities, and don't mind some leisurely days around the pool and/or beach, it's NOT too much time, but I wouldn't stay in one place. I'd definitely split the Maui time between West Maui (Ka'anapali environs) and South Maui (Wailea), and I would definitely include at least one of the 2 day excursions, to either Hana or Lanai.

Spending 2 solid weeks in Wailea would involve quite a bit of either driving a long way to stuff that's on Maui but still far away, and/or just lying on the beach for a lot of the time you are there,.
We've done it with 3 kids and it was wonderful. My idea of a vacation is waking up and not knowing what the day will bring. The rest of my life is packed with stuff. Maui for 2 weeks without much planned is paradise for me. Yes, the kids had a blast too.
Great advice on spending time on both sides of the island. Each side is unique in it's own way. We tend to spend 8-10 days once or twice a year on Maui. We have pretty much done everything on the island of interest to us. PM me if you have specific questions or would like general advice on things to do.
If you're going there for 2 weeks, I would suggest spending a week in Hana for the most relaxing vacation of your life. Most people just go for a day or two and are seriously missing out on one of the most beautiful places in the world. Do any other FTers agree with this?
Quote: If you're going there for 2 weeks, I would suggest spending a week in Hana for the most relaxing vacation of your life. Most people just go for a day or two and are seriously missing out on one of the most beautiful places in the world. Do any other FTers agree with this?
That time of year, they could experience a week of rain, when the other side of the Island, especially Wailea and environs, is bathed in sunshine. Not to mention eating in the same 2 restaurants every day for a week could certainly get old in a hurry on one's vacation.
Quote: That time of year, they could experience a week of rain, when the other side of the Island, especially Wailea and environs, is bathed in sunshine. Not to mention eating in the same 2 restaurants every day for a week could certainly get old in a hurry on one's vacation.
Different strokes for different folks. I'd trade the variety of restaurants on the south/west for the rainforests of the east in a heartbeat. It all depends what you're looking for...
Quote: Different strokes for different folks. I'd trade the variety of restaurants on the south/west for the rainforests of the east in a heartbeat. It all depends what you're looking for...
I like Hana too, I just think 2 days easily covers it.
Quote: Is two weeks in Maui at a Wailea resort too long? Traveling as a family with 3 kids, 9,7 and 3 between Christmas and New Years.
High Season in the nicest area of the islands.. I would definitely stay the two weeks at a Wailea resort with 3 kids. No nicer area in all of the islands.

Especially with the 3 year old moving hotels and a total of three kids. Its easier to just jump in the vehicle and visit where you want. We would like to sometime get 2 or 3 weeks at Kea Lani.. we've never done that yet, and plenty of times we stay 10 to 18 days on the Big Island because of such a great deal.

Which resort did you guys end up staying at?
As of now we have 13 nights reserved at FS Maui, but have the option to go to FS Hualalai for 3 nights. I would like to go to Hualalai longer, but no earlier dates yet. I am thinking it is too much effort to go to Hualalai for just 3 nights.
Quote: I am thinking it is too much effort to go to Hualalai for just 3 nights.
Pack, check out, travel, check in, unpack ... I agree.
Quote: As of now we have 13 nights reserved at FS Maui, but have the option to go to FS Hualalai for 3 nights. I would like to go to Hualalai longer, but no earlier dates yet. I am thinking it is too much effort to go to Hualalai for just 3 nights.
I personally wouldn't bother doing the Big Island unless you could do 2 more days, as there are areas of Maui and Lanai that are much easier to visit and more suited to 2-3 day excursions. You really need 5 days to properly see the Big Island.

One very viable alternative to consider would be to fly into Hilo, and spend the first 2 nights in one of the nicer lodges in Volcano Natl. park, and then spend the next 3 days in Hualalai.

Frankly, it sounds like you care more about what hotel you are staying in, than what Island you are staying in, and that sounds like a strange way of viewing a trip to Hawaii. The FS Hualalai is certainly a gorgeous hotel, but if there is a part of Hawaii that has LESS going on than Hualalai, I'm not aware of it, other than perhaps the Haleakala crater in Maui.
Quote: As of now we have 13 nights reserved at FS Maui, but have the option to go to FS Hualalai for 3 nights. I would like to go to Hualalai longer, but no earlier dates yet. I am thinking it is too much effort to go to Hualalai for just 3 nights.
Quote: I personally wouldn't bother doing the Big Island unless you could do 2 more days, as there are areas of Maui and Lanai that are much easier to visit and more suited to 2-3 day excursions. You really need 5 days to properly see the Big Island.

One very viable alternative to consider would be to fly into Hilo, and spend the first 2 nights in one of the nicer lodges in Volcano Natl. park, and then spend the next 3 days in Hualalai.

Frankly, it sounds like you care more about what hotel you are staying in, than what Island you are staying in, and that sounds like a strange way of viewing a trip to Hawaii. The FS Hualalai is certainly a gorgeous hotel, but if there is a part of Hawaii that has LESS going on than Hualalai, I'm not aware of it, other than perhaps the Haleakala crater in Maui.
I would extend at least another two or three days, and try to do Hualalai. It is an unbelievable resort, and having visited (not stayed) at both Four Seasons, Hualalai in terms of layout wins hands down. Wailea may be the slightly better location, but Hualalai is consistently rated as a top 100 hotel and resort internationally.