FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two weeks in Maui???
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:31 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wayzfam
As of now we have 13 nights reserved at FS Maui, but have the option to go to FS Hualalai for 3 nights. I would like to go to Hualalai longer, but no earlier dates yet. I am thinking it is too much effort to go to Hualalai for just 3 nights.
Originally Posted by DJGMaster1
I personally wouldn't bother doing the Big Island unless you could do 2 more days, as there are areas of Maui and Lanai that are much easier to visit and more suited to 2-3 day excursions. You really need 5 days to properly see the Big Island.

One very viable alternative to consider would be to fly into Hilo, and spend the first 2 nights in one of the nicer lodges in Volcano Natl. park, and then spend the next 3 days in Hualalai.

Frankly, it sounds like you care more about what hotel you are staying in, than what Island you are staying in, and that sounds like a strange way of viewing a trip to Hawaii. The FS Hualalai is certainly a gorgeous hotel, but if there is a part of Hawaii that has LESS going on than Hualalai, I'm not aware of it, other than perhaps the Haleakala crater in Maui.
I would extend at least another two or three days, and try to do Hualalai. It is an unbelievable resort, and having visited (not stayed) at both Four Seasons, Hualalai in terms of layout wins hands down. Wailea may be the slightly better location, but Hualalai is consistently rated as a top 100 hotel and resort internationally.