Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer 2012 Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Summer 2012 Trip

My wife and I are teachers and are planning a trip for the summer of 2012. Dates are flexible, so we can leave any time from June 10th until mid August. I've been looking at tickets starting in June (because of the 331 day window), and there seems to be almost no change in price (around $1000 from PIT to HNL). So my questions:

1) Should I just pick our dates and book as soon as they are released or should I wait a few months?

2) Has anyone ever used Southwest to fly to the west coast (say SAN or LAX), and then Hawaiian Airlines from there?

3) We plan to do Oahu (explore Honolulu and Waikiki) and Hawaii (we want to do a lot all over the island, so we're not concerned with where we fly into, be it Hilo or Kona). What the cheapest way to get from one island to the other?

Thanks for the help. And feel free to throw in any favorite things on either of those islands.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wc4572
...What the cheapest way to get from one island to the other?
In one sense, the cheapest way is a 5K one-way partner mileage award on Hawaiian Airlines or IslandAir.

It's very hard to predict inter-island fares that far out.

Just don't, imo, fly go! They have been responsible for much misery in the islands.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
We went in late June this year for the first time in ages. I only suggest you keep away from the week before and after July 4. The fares and hotel rates were very high.

The temps will be perfect, but the sun brutally strong.

The normal fares for that time of year will be around $700. If you can't get an inter island award, try to fly into either Hilo or kona and out of hnl. It will save you some time and money.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
My wife and I are teachers and are planning a trip for the summer of 2012. Dates are flexible, so we can leave any time from June 10th until mid August. I've been looking at tickets starting in June (because of the 331 day window), and there seems to be almost no change in price (around $1000 from PIT to HNL). So my questions:

1) Should I just pick our dates and book as soon as they are released or should I wait a few months?
Unless you're looking to book with miles, I'd wait and set a fare alert using Kayak. Then monitor daily.

2) Has anyone ever used Southwest to fly to the west coast (say SAN or LAX), and then Hawaiian Airlines from there?
Not connecting SW->HA, but I've done SW->NW before. If you do, pad in lots of time between your SW and HA flight, as SW does not interline any baggage, meaning you must exit the secured area (which you'd have to do anyway at LAX), wait at baggage claim, then re-check bags with HA. If your SW flight is delayed for whatever reason, HA also has no responsibility to accommodate you, unless you get a nice agent.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
Unless you're looking to book with miles, I'd wait and set a fare alert using Kayak. Then monitor daily.

Not connecting SW->HA, but I've done SW->NW before. If you do, pad in lots of time between your SW and HA flight, as SW does not interline any baggage, meaning you must exit the secured area (which you'd have to do anyway at LAX), wait at baggage claim, then re-check bags with HA. If your SW flight is delayed for whatever reason, HA also has no responsibility to accommodate you, unless you get a nice agent.
Thanks for that advice. I defintely don't have enough miles for both tickets let alone one. I thought about doing the two AA cards, but I was still concerned about getting the miles in time. I've never used Kayak for a fare alert, so I'll have to check that out.

I'll keep an eye on SW, but I'll use the Kayak advice for now. I don't think we can afford to spend more than $2000 total on PIT-> HNL, which seems to be what all the tickets are right now.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

3) We plan to do Oahu (explore Honolulu and Waikiki) and Hawaii (we want to do a lot all over the island, so we're not concerned with where we fly into, be it Hilo or Kona). What the cheapest way to get from one island to the other?

Thanks for the help. And feel free to throw in any favorite things on either of those islands.
I would look at August. People from the west coast tend to descend upon Hawaii with their urchins as soon as school is out for the summer.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by slippahs
^ Good advice. Have been tempted to do the SW and HA flight combo to the islands (would work for us as SW is main carrier at our home base airport) , mainly because of HA's new A330's -- kind of want to fly on one. The plane looks beautiful. Anyway, if we do it we will take SW to one of HA's mainland gateways, LAX, SAN, SEA or LAS and then overnite there at least on the outbound leg to avoid any probs as mentioned above. Adds an extra night of hotel and travel, but breaks of the trip also. We have flown AA exclusively to HI that past 7 years -- and we often overnite at DFW to catch the non-stop to HNL or OGG the next day. Takes the stress off of missing a connection same day.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:05 am
Suspended

Hi, According to me, it is better to book accommodation and flight tickets as soon as you know the dates when you will travel. I always look online for hotel and flights and usually get some great deals. The both places, you have chosen for your vacation are great and be sure that you will have fun time there.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
IME flights are cheaper if you can travel on tue or wed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.