Planning Help/Tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning Help/Tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Planning Help/Tips?

Have a 2 week vaca. planned around thanksgiving time. Our original plan was splitting time between Maui and Big Island. I went ahead and booked 6 days in Maui (Hyatt - got a diamond suite upgrade). The remaining 6 days of our trip was supposed to be at FS Hualalai but the hotel is sold out for the last 3 days of our trip. I have already reserved the first available 3 days of at FS and was thinking about finding another hotel (Hilton, Fairmont or Mauna Lani) on Big Island. The other option is to spend the last 3 days in Kauai at the Grand Hyatt and get a suite upgrade there using another one of my Diamond Certs. Some of pros of going to Kauai - Love the Island, opportunity to use an expiring suite upgrade at GH Kauai. Cons - No direct flight from Big Island to Kauai, Travelling with a 2 year Old, Less time in Big Island.

Any thoughts or suggestions that could help me make a decision would be very appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Switch it up

Is it possible to move your plans around to spend the 1st week on the Big Island and second week on Maui?
Perhaps that would help with availability... Didn't sound like you have you Inter-island flight in place yet (Oh unless of course if you are flying into OGG?)
Either way, I would not entertain a 3rd Island on this 2 week stay...especialy with a wee one in tow.
Have you considered a high-end condo/villa at Kolea/Hali'i Kai/ Mauna Lani perhaps. It is nice for the extra space and privacy. You don't have to cook. Also convenient with a 2 yr old for snacks and quick heat ups etc. There are some lovely villa properties within the Mauna Lani complex...Palm Villas, Golf Villas, Terrace, The Point, etc...
Hotel choices would be 4S,Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid.
Is the East Coast of the Big Island on your radar at all for a change of pace?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Executrip
Is it possible to move your plans around to spend the 1st week on the Big Island and second week on Maui?
Perhaps that would help with availability... Didn't sound like you have you Inter-island flight in place yet (Oh unless of course if you are flying into OGG?)
Either way, I would not entertain a 3rd Island on this 2 week stay...especialy with a wee one in tow.
Have you considered a high-end condo/villa at Kolea/Hali'i Kai/ Mauna Lani perhaps. It is nice for the extra space and privacy. You don't have to cook. Also convenient with a 2 yr old for snacks and quick heat ups etc. There are some lovely villa properties within the Mauna Lani complex...Palm Villas, Golf Villas, Terrace, The Point, etc...
Hotel choices would be 4S,Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid.
Is the East Coast of the Big Island on your radar at all for a change of pace?
Thanks for the response. What is on the east coast of big island? I'm open to suggestions. We are flying into Maui so switching the weeks is not an option now.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Aloha! The East side of the Big Island has rain forest, waterfalls, spectacular coastal cliffs and valleys, several funky "old Hawaii" villages, and the utterly amazing Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Many visitors make the mistake of staying at the posh Kona side resorts the whole time they are here, or making a rushed day-trip drive over to see the volcano. I suggest that you spend those days you can't get into the FS Hualalai at a vacation rental home near Hilo. There are some very nice properties available with ocean views, pools, and plenty of comfort. You won't find luxury resorts in East Hawaii, but you will find plenty of aloha, drop dead georgeous scenery, and a real feel for the culture and history of Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.