Wiki Posts
Search

Timing for hotel booking in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Timing for hotel booking in Hawaii?

Hi -

I'm planning our first trip to Hawaii in April of next year. Have tickets booked arriving HNL April 21, departing OGG May 4. Planning on 1 night on Oahu to do Pearl Harbor the next day, then flying to the Big Island for awhile, and on to Maui. Still kicking around the idea of a few days in Kauai, but don't want to spend so much time on planes, so that's looking less likely.

In any case, I'm wondering how far out is best to book hotels? I will probably priceline the Honolulu night, and direct-book the rest. Thanks to Capital One, will likely go with the Fairmont Kea Lani for the final portion of the trip. No clue about the rest of our accommodations at this point. It seems like many of the properties are having "5th-night-free" promotions, which sounds great... but the promotions do not extend out through my timeframe. Is it best to just wait until six (3? 2?) months out & see what the specials are at that time, or book now? I've never used a travel agent (love to dig up bargains), but can someone recommend a Virtuoso agent? Seems it might be the way to go for at least the Fairmont portion of this trip!

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
There's no harm in making some reservations now as long as they are fully refundable. You can always go the price line route later if you haven't come across any good deals. I usually book award stays with my starpoints, so I make my reservations as far in advance as possible to ensure I won't get shut out of my desired hotels. Speaking of Hawaii next April, I've already reserved my 11 nights in Maui. While I have nearly a year to change things up, at the very least I know I've got something confirmed.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
What he said.

There are frequent hotel sales for Hawaii but hard to predict whether they will have space on the dates you need. So book only fully refundable, and then consider your options as the dates get closer. We are following the same strategy to book SPG points+cash rooms and then waiting to see if rates drop.

Also do not under any circumstances do a prepaid car rental unless you are getting the car for <$200/week. We have often seen rates drop in the last month or week before departure as companies decide to unload excess inventory. Most people book well in advance and never bother to re-check again.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
There's no harm in making some reservations now as long as they are fully refundable. You can always go the price line route later if you haven't come across any good deals. I usually book award stays with my starpoints, so I make my reservations as far in advance as possible to ensure I won't get shut out of my desired hotels. Speaking of Hawaii next April, I've already reserved my 11 nights in Maui. While I have nearly a year to change things up, at the very least I know I've got something confirmed.
I agree..

There is no harm booking something fully refundable.. a couple times.. prices got jacked up and I ended up having the lowest price in the hotel as a result.

Just keep checking on good package deals.. but book only refundable deposit deals.. until you score the ultimate non-refundable package.. and even then, I would call hotel management to see if you I can have better terms with the cancellation.. have been successful at removing the cancellation terms and have rates quoted on packages honored this way..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.