Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

flash trip to kahului - want to go fishing :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Hello! My friend and I are going on a crazy short trip to Hawaii in December. Long story short, we stumbled across an opportunity to pop over from just December 16-18 and we could not pass it up, even if is such a short time.
We pretty much only have the the evening of the 16th-18th. Our main goal is to try to go fishing! Any recommendations? It won't be our last time in Hawaii, so we don't feel a need to cram too much into our stay. A good fishing trip and maybe a hike...bonus points if we can combine the two. And delicious food, of course
Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:36 pm

We were there (OGG) a few months ago and checked into fishing. We've done a lot of fishing in Alaska, and have literally brought home well over a ton of fish over the years. The lodges clean and vac seal, and flash freeze the fish.

From what we were able to determine about fishing in Maui, there is no processing available. The charter operator will give you some to take back to your hotel for cooking but that's it. Also, at least at the time we were there, the fish were apparently 2 hours out.

This is all second hand info, so do your own research. We have certainly enjoyed fishing for bill fish and dorado etc. in various locations. If you want to do it for the sport in HI, that might be fun, but unless you have info to the contrary, you might not want to count on bringing anything home with you.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Maui is NOT the hot fishing area in HI. You really need to go to the Big Island. But, since you are going to Maui, make the best of it. Most of the fishing boats leave from Lahaina harbor. Check www.tombarefoot.com for "deals".
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Lucky! Fishing in Alaska sounds great.

Thanks for the suggestion - will look into it

No processing - unfortunate but if that's how it is, that's how it is. Maybe I'll just give some away to a lucky local :-)

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.