Reload this Page >

Impact of tsunami on Hawaii - report here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of tsunami on Hawaii - report here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In a story in yesterday's Advertiser, there was a reference to the Hilton Waikoloa also having damages, but I've seen no specifics.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
KITV now reports that a surge has topped the wall in Kailua-Kona and that the shops on Ali`' Drive are flooded (as is the Palace)

KITV's Facebook page reports
We will be on the Big Island on the 28th.. will have to check with the Fairmont Orchid if everything is ok.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In a story in yesterday's Advertiser, there was a reference to the Hilton Waikoloa also having damages, but I've seen no specifics.
Hi,

The hotel website said the resort had no major damages and everything was open and operating as normal.
http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Checked the Fairmont Orchid and Fairmont Kea Lani where we're staying for Spring Break in a week and a half.. and everything is in excellent operating condition.

Only problem with Kona Village and Four Seasons evacuated, everyone's vacationing at my resort.. my ocean front suite is now running $2,000 per night apparently.

Scalping tickets is illegal, I imagine scalping an ocean front suite is illegal too. Just kidding.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Checked the Fairmont Orchid and Fairmont Kea Lani where we're staying for Spring Break in a week and a half.. and everything is in excellent operating condition.

Only problem with Kona Village and Four Seasons evacuated, everyone's vacationing at my resort.. my ocean front suite is now running $2,000 per night apparently.

Scalping tickets is illegal, I imagine scalping an ocean front suite is illegal too. Just kidding.
Surely you mean "subleasing" (Yeah, illegal too.)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Surely you mean "subleasing" (Yeah, illegal too.)
My business mind is running overtime.. but we shall suffer in the booked suite.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
My business mind is running overtime.. but we shall suffer in the booked suite.
Suffering, yeah. Be sure to find some cute "tsunami evacuees" and offer them "shelter."
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:03 pm
nnn
Original Poster

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The FS Hualalai's re-opening date has been pushed all the way back to April 30.

http://press.fourseasons.com/hualala...april-30-2011/
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Here's some video and a message from the CEO of Kona Village. Looks like they may not be open for quite a while:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...ale-bungalows/
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Suffering, yeah. Be sure to find some cute "tsunami evacuees" and offer them "shelter."
I'll be sure to offer looking up my blackberry and offering up to minute latest room rates services complimentary to any one who needs it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Kona Village Resort is now closed indefinitely. They have let go all the staff not needed for the shut down. They are paying everyone 2 weeks severance pay and will pay their medical through the end of April. This is very sad news for regular visitors of KVR. The KVR Facebook page is flooded with well wishes to all the staff. Several old time staff are on the page offering thanks and memories.

The owners seem to be concentrating on getting the 4 Seasons up and running again before making any long term decisions on KVR. I'm hoping a new owner can take it off Michael Dell's hand and rebuild it quickly (Steve Jobs would be great new owner!)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Kona Village Resort is now closed indefinitely. They have let go all the staff not needed for the shut down. They are paying everyone 2 weeks severance pay and will pay their medical through the end of April. This is very sad news for regular visitors of KVR. The KVR Facebook page is flooded with well wishes to all the staff. Several old time staff are on the page offering thanks and memories.

The owners seem to be concentrating on getting the 4 Seasons up and running again before making any long term decisions on KVR. I'm hoping a new owner can take it off Michael Dell's hand and rebuild it quickly (Steve Jobs would be great new owner!)
Looking at Kona Village video and commentary.. The KVR is a total disaster and a complete tear down and rebuild is required where there is water damage.

May have been good while it lasted, but its very unfortunate that Kona Village and its' renown luau is on the ropes. I hope they will be able to keep the luau going somewhere.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Funny, we saw our Pediatrician on direct flight ogg-yyc yesterday.. what's the chances of that? And they stayed a couple nights at the King Kamehameha hotel. I mentioned I heard the Tsunami damaged the King Kam, and they said, yes.. King Kam is currently renoing the first floor.. but they stayed there even with the damage. Wow! Incredible.. and they love the hotel.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:53 am
nnn
Original Poster

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The FS Hualalai reopens in four days, on 4/30. It appears they have taken the opportunity to do upgrades to the property. One of these is new turf, but I'm not sure what else they did. (See http://www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsResortHualalai.)

I was hoping they would do something about the super-hot pool deck at the Seashell pool -- not ideal for young children, especially on sunny afternoons -- but I don't know if they addressed that issue.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nnn
The FS Hualalai reopens in four days, on 4/30. It appears they have taken the opportunity to do upgrades to the property. One of these is new turf, but I'm not sure what else they did. (See http://www.facebook.com/FourSeasonsResortHualalai.)

I was hoping they would do something about the super-hot pool deck at the Seashell pool -- not ideal for young children, especially on sunny afternoons -- but I don't know if they addressed that issue.
Missed my favorite meal in the world this last Spring Break at Four Seasons Hualalai.. definitely looking forward to Surf, Sand and Stars next year. This year on Saturday nights it was Japanese buffet at Hakone's at the Beach Prince, and Hilo Bay Cafe.. hardly a substitute but something new I guess.

Surf, Sand and Stars at the FS Hualalai.. All you can eat lobster, sushi, shashimi, steaks, ribs, seafood, crab claws.. plus salads, and desserts, etc.. for a paltry $82 pp the last time we were there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.