Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super-luxury resorts in Hawaii That Aren't There Anymore

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
If one considers Oahu...the Kahala Hilton (once) was considered real luxury.
I take my mom there for Sunday brunch every now and then. Still a nice quiet spot in Honolulu, I think.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
We stayed at the Coco Palms in Kauai. It was very nice! It had several restaurants and had it's own show. It even had a private zoo. One of the sinks in our room was a real giant clam shell. One of the best points was the torch lighting ceremony, where a native son ran along all the paths, swinging a torch in circular arcs over his head, lighting all of the pots along the pathways at ground level.

DD
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just wanted to add further to OPs post that I learned that Hilton Waikoloa used to be a Hyatt from an employee at Fairmont who used to work there when it was a Hyatt (i learned this about 4 days ago). I guess the story is that Hyatt (or whoever the owner was) took a bath and sold it to Hilton for 30 cents on the dollar.

On another side note the owners of Fairmont Orchid, Ritz Carlton, Grand Wailea, and Four Seasons Maui owners were all foreclosed through this latest real estate recession. Although none if these hotels changed brands or experienced major operational disruptions, the owners certainly has changed.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
We stayed at the Coco Palms in Kauai. It was very nice! It had several restaurants and had it's own show. It even had a private zoo. One of the sinks in our room was a real giant clam shell. One of the best points was the torch lighting ceremony, where a native son ran along all the paths, swinging a torch in circular arcs over his head, lighting all of the pots along the pathways at ground level.

DD
The iconic Coco Palms Resort in Wailua received a new breath of life. An Oahu-based group of investors announced Thursday the property is in escrow, and they have already secured demolition permits.

----

“If everything goes well, we’ll start construction in the first or second quarter of next year,” said Chad Waters, one of the members of the newly-formed Coco Palms Hui LLC.

----

Waters said the 396-room Coco Palms will be rebuilt with the existing square footage, under the guidance of what is allowed by the Iniki Ordinance. The three main buildings will be stripped down to their concrete structure. All wooden buildings will be rebuilt just the way it was.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Bump to note that at long last, there's hope for the Coco Palms:

http://khon2.com/2015/03/10/kauai-co...-palms-resort/

On [March 10], the Kauai Planning Commission unanimously approved redevelopment of Coco Palms Resort, voting in favor of zoning and variance permits with conditions that address issues such as traffic and historic preservation.

Coco Palms hopes to get the final permits by the end of the year, and begin construction early next year, reopening by late 2017.
...or some 25 years after Hurricane Iniki closed it.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Bump to note that at long last, there's hope for the Coco Palms:

http://khon2.com/2015/03/10/kauai-co...-palms-resort/

...or some 25 years after Hurricane Iniki closed it.
I can't believe they're not going to just bulldoze it.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I remember all the old "Surf" properties; the Kaua`i Surf and Maui Surf became Westins and the Kona Surf is now the Sheraton.
I stayed at the Kona Surf, maybe 25-30 years ago, the first time I ever stayed on the Big Island. It was HARDLY a luxury property, and I believe my rate was something in the vicinity of $55-60 a night.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is montage hanalei happening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.