Wiki Posts
Search

Kauai Kona - Five Months Pregnant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Kauai Kona - Five Months Pregnant

My husband and I are traveling to Kauai and Kona in July (or maybe just one island -- haven't decided yet).

I will be about four/five months pregnant and actually picked this destination (and these two island in particular) because we want natural beauty and a bit of adventure prior to baby'dom.

Curious about your thoughts on how physically taxing seeing/hiking/exploring these two islands are. I realize I don't *have* to engage in those activities but are there mild-level, reasonable intensity explorations/day trips that can be handled by an active, fit, pregnant woman?

We want to rest and relax but generally cannot take lying on the beach for more than three-four days on any given trip. Need activities...

THANKS!!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I've found many moderate to easy trails on Kauai. And, of course, there are so many beaches to relax on and take easy strolls on. Even on the "strenuous" Kalalau trail, I found a magnificent viewpoint about 1/2 mile in which provides an incredible view of the Napali coast.

One of the many things that's wonderful about Kauai is that there are so many beautiful places to stop and enjoy.
Here are some links to hikes and explorations on Kauai.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10038

I'm not as familiar with the Big Island, but even though I got sick while I was there, I still found some wonderful places to explore that weren't stressful.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
First of all congratulations!

I actually went to Kauai in 2006 when I was 5 months pregnant (he is a happy, healthy 3 year old now - with a baby brother even.) There is a lot you can do if you are reasonably healthy already, and staying active during your pregnancy. We are normally very active -not much lying on the beach- so I did not want to miss everything just because I was pregnant. Some of the things I did: walking and hiking, swimming, snorkeling, river kayaking, massage (LOL). We did a number of beach walks or hikes to secluded beaches or swimming holes (using the book Kauai Revealed), none of which were too taxing.

What I didn't do: #1 scuba diving - I snorkeled along with my hubby and a dive master until they got too deep for me. #2 The Napali coast sea kayak trip (14 miles) - again, I let my hubby go on his own (I did that paddle years ago anyway), but ironically, there was a 5-months-pregnant woman in his group anyway. Personally I would have found it uncomfortable to paddle all day, though we did go on a short river paddle another day. #3 Hiking the whole Kalalau trail - we did a short hike, probably a little over the first mile and back (again, I have done a lot farther in prior trips - up to Hanakapiai Falls), and that was hard enough for me given the rough terrain and cliffs, etc.

As for Kona, it's been a lot longer since I was there, but one of the negatives I can see is that distances on the Big Island are just a lot longer - I remember spending a lot of time driving around in the car, which might not be too fun when pregnant. Getting out to see the volcanoes, hiking the Waipio Valley, etc. might prove to be a little more strenuous too.

Hope that helps - I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what you pick! FYI there is a "Traveling with Children" board here on FlyerTalk that is very helpful once you're ready for it. There are actually several threads on there already about traveling while pregnant, so check it out if you get a chance....

Have fun!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:03 am

kauai 5 mos pregnant

We went to Kauai when I was 5 months pregnant. Since i already had a toddler at the time, I was tired! I didn't hike the Napali coast trail (kalalau?) because I remembered that the rocks along the trail were very slippery the first time we were there (w/o kids). I slipped a couple of times then and didn't want to risk it while pregnant. Plus we didn't want to take our toddler there. I did a lot of snorkeling. Nice to just float and look at fish. I did try to get spa treatments at the hyatt but they would only do the pregnancy massage which i didn't want. I would suggest looking at the Kauai Trailblazer book. They mention a lot of hikes from easy to moderate to difficult.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

onthego, sucheng, and ck2003.
MANY thanks! i am still amazed and by the wealth of information/sharing on ft.
Kinds of information that just make traveling more informed, safer and overall incredibly enjoyable.

(Especially appreciate the Kauai Kona comparison. Some compelling points to chose Kauai)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Assuming you plan to stay in Kona, there are many things that you can do that are a short ride away and really beutiful. Perfect place to go and very relaxing.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, WN, enjoy managing hubby's AA Plat, CO Gold, and Hyatt Diamond accts
Hi, just want to add that when we were in Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island in December, there were signs all over the place warning pregnant women not to go on this trail or that one because of potentially hazardous fumes. You might want to keep an eye on the park website for more details. I'm sorry I don't have more details. I definitely noticed the signs and thought, "Glad I didn't try to come here while preggers."
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I think the kalalau trail would be a terrible idea for someone pregnant. There are many very narrow, rocky and slippery areas with potential for stumbles and falls.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for their feedback.
We've settled on Kauai and I picked up the Kauai Revealed guidebook (7th ed Doughty), which has already been quite helpful.

I will also pick up the trailblazer handbook for more detail on the intensity of hikes.

Anyone ever try SNUBA? I have to do some research on whether I'd even be allowed to do as much.

We're going to try for some light kayaking, hiking, helicopter ride, snorkeling and of course a lot of laziness. (Appreciate the tip about the Grand Hyatt req re a maternity massage. Maybe I will check out other spas... or just do the prenatal there).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Re: pregnancy massage or not, suggest you check with your OB on this. I specifically asked for a pregnancy massage, as I wanted someone familiar with what you are/aren't supposed to do during pregnancy. Supposedly there are pressure points (in the legs or feet?) that can trigger labor pains - or something like that, I honestly don't remember the details.

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.