Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Standby for Hawaiian Airlines Inter-island Flights?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, this is why I won't consider them to/from the west coast; they're just deceptive in regards to these purported "sales."
While I don't disagree that this is often the case, it is not always the case. In mid-january, we booked a HNL-SNA roundtrip for $272.30 all-in for February 8-11. Best price we could find into the LA area at the time. We even got an op-up(sort-of) on the return(by rerouting through KOA).

Last edited by Ripper3785; May 11, 2007 at 1:24 am
Old May 11, 2007, 1:22 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Excellent deal.

I think you got the only seats actually on sale in both directions.
Old May 11, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Thanks for the assurance that I will survive Aloha did end up being about $15 cheaper per ticket and it had the better non-stop flight time, but I didn't know about the cattle call seating. That's ok...I'm a frequent SWA flyer, so I'm use to it...hehehe...

Anything else I need to prepare for?!?!

At least my layover in HNL to OGG and KOA to HNL is through HA
Old May 11, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by cblaisd
That's ok, you can still fly the very same airplanes on AQ today.

Maintenance and age issues aside, the cattle car seating on AQ is so much ickier than having an assigned seat on HA. If you want to be assured of a window or aisle seat (or lunge for an exit row) you have to stand in line for at least 30 or 40 minutes for AQ.
I guess I was on AQ (might have still been TS then) for the 1980s trip; it was HA DC-9-30s the first trip in 1973. Travel then wasn't the circus it is today, and I was on my honeymoon (1980), so probably wasn't aware of any poor service anyway!

Absolutely agree on the seating arrangements (as I noted before). That's only one reason I don't fly WN on the mainland, as well.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I believe AS has stopped flying the 737-200.
That's correct -- just recently so. They've all been replaced with -400s.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond

We arrive at the Kona Airport a couple hours early for a flight to Honolulu. We asked the ticket agent could we stand by for an earlier flight. She said there would be a $25.00 service charge to take the one hour earlier flight. Most airlines that we have traveled on are happy to board passengers on an earlier flight in the middle of the day before the evening rush.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Unfortunately this is one area where AQ has HA beat. Unless you have status with HA, there is no more standing by for a different flight -- you can either confirm it for a fee or not.

The only way -- but my observation is that it seems less and less possible -- is to approach the boarding agent of the flight you want near the end of boarding (don't do it earlier) and ask.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by breakthrough37
We arrive at the Kona Airport a couple hours early for a flight to Honolulu. We asked the ticket agent could we stand by for an earlier flight. She said there would be a $25.00 service charge to take the one hour earlier flight. Most airlines that we have traveled on are happy to board passengers on an earlier flight in the middle of the day before the evening rush.
$25 isn't bad. UA is $50 day of flight, most carriers are $50-100.

I agree with you on the load factor, although if that original flight was over-sold I am sure the fee would have been waived!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:12 pm

Post Flying stand-by inter-island no more??

Just curious with HA, in the past I have been able to fly stand by no problem. I booked my inter-island flight last year for $39.00 each way. My husband has decided to go with me in three weeks, booked his last night but the inter-island flight was only available 1st class for $109. So I booked him on a flight leaving 3 hours later then mine thinking he could jump on stand-by on my flight. I called HA just to change seats and asked about stand-by, they said they do not allow it anymore, only if your an elite HA member. So my question to you all is what are my chances of him flying stand-by? Do they allow it for a fee? Do they reject all stand-by? I would like to know if I need to change his ticket to first class. Thank you all for your time!! --

Really needing a vacation from New Jersey
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Kirstinjoy1204
Just curious with HA, in the past I have been able to fly stand by no problem. I booked my inter-island flight last year for $39.00 each way. My husband has decided to go with me in three weeks............
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Kirstinjoy1204!

You can change departure time on a purchased reservation from HA for a fee, no problem. Just call HA reservations. The fee will be between $20 and $40. Here's HA's Terms and Conditions and Fare Rules, which spells it out: http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

Also, read posts #1, 2 & 3 above; posted just prior to yours.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by kaukau; Sep 23, 2007 at 9:40 pm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Last year there was no problem standing by for an earlier flight. During the same day we were flying from Kona to Honolulu Hawaiian Airlines had fares available on some flights for $7.00 one way. I have never had a problem on another carrier standing by for a flight on the same day as long as there was no change in the routing.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:58 pm

Unfortunately, HA changed its rules about this last year and does not allow standby anymore (unless you are Pualani Gold or Platinum). Non-elite pax can confirm a different flight for a (varying, depending on the buckets available) change fee.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver Elite
interisland flight

So I am trying to decide if we should fly Hawaiian or Aloha Airlines. I hear people say Hawaiian is so much better. Our flight will be short though, HNL-KOA. We can save like $40 or so for our family of 4 by flying Aloha. Flight times are pretty much the same. We are trying to decide to book our airfare for this coming December. Luckily good prices are still available.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
I flew Aloha (AQ) from HNL-KOA and back this past weekend.
I've flown HA on the same route.

Both are fine for the short flight.

Some friends fly go! because of the $9 fares, but I can never find one that works for me. (I know: "Friends don't let friends fly go!")

A factor may be which airline FF programs you belong to (I get UA miles for my AQ flights & AA for my HA) or if you are interlining from another airline.

If the time and price are right, then go with Aloha.
$40 will buy you a nice round of pupus & Mai Tai's at Huggo's-on-the-Rocks on Ali'i Drive in Kailua-Kona.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
The flight is so short that it really doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.