Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any difference in cancelling flights between AQ and HA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM

I usually post in the Delta forum but have a question. My wife and I fly to Hawaii yearly, and almost always connect on from HNL to ITO (love that hiking in the Volcano area).
For some reason we almost always seem to end up on AQ because the connection times have been a little better. Also, they seem to have slightly more frequent service. We have not had a problem with them.

Having said that, I read the comparison thread in this forum and it seems many like HA because of the newer planes. I also know they tend to have a good record with on-time performance and baggage, although we haven't had a problem with AQ either.

Here's the question. I'm inclined to try HA this time but am concerned about one thing. On AQ, if they cancelled my preferred flight on the return, there would be a later one we could catch that would still work. On HA, if they cancelled the flight we would take, there are no others afterwards and we'd be screwed. I'd appreciate any of you who fly them regualrly weighing in on this issue--do either of them tend to cancel their flights at the last minute (not weather related)?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by atl runner
...Here's the question. I'm inclined to try HA this time but am concerned about one thing. On AQ, if they cancelled my preferred flight on the return, there would be a later one we could catch that would still work. On HA, if they cancelled the flight we would take, there are no others afterwards and we'd be screwed. I'd appreciate any of you who fly them regualrly weighing in on this issue--do either of them tend to cancel their flights at the last minute (not weather related)?
Well, other more experienced kama'aina and others can chime in but my experience is a) the HA aircraft are MUCH nicer than AQ's, b) I haven't yet seen a cancelled flight (although an occasional delayed one if something goes wrong in the cycle in the morning), c) HA recently added (iirc) a new flight ITO-HNL so you might want to look again at the schedule.

You might also look at the AQ and WP schedules and see if you could have an easy-to-do backup plan. Ex-ITO that would be relatively simple to accomplish given the lack of security wait times.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, other more experienced kama'aina and others can chime in but my experience is a) the HA aircraft are MUCH nicer than AQ's, b) I haven't yet seen a cancelled flight (although an occasional delayed one if something goes wrong in the cycle in the morning), c) HA recently added (iirc) a new flight ITO-HNL so you might want to look again at the schedule.

You might also look at the AQ and WP schedules and see if you could have an easy-to-do backup plan. Ex-ITO that would be relatively simple to accomplish given the lack of security wait times.
Mahalo cblaisd. As it turns out I was able to change the outbound portion just now so we are now flying directly to The Big Island (KOA) from the mainland, so we'll only need the return from ITO to HNL. Based on your comments and others, I think we'll give HA a try.
Again, mahalo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.