Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Man refused to pay $12 blanket--Flight Diverted to LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man refused to pay $12 blanket--Flight Diverted to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
Ever hear of using common sense? In this particular case, I don't think it made sense to dump fuel and divert and inconvenience so many other people.
This.
The choice here in reality is give the guy a blanket or don't. Using his expression " taking someone behind the woodshed" as a threat of bodily harm is a power trip by what seems to be a hypersensitive crew. How dare a paying customer insist he's correct! I'm sure the rest of the paying customers were overjoyed that this flight crew decided their time and planned connections, etc. were just collateral damage in this important struggle against anarchy in the sky.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
One pax was quoted as saying: "“First of all, it costs $12,000 for them to land here, and it’s a $12 blanket.”
Bad publicity for HA. Also, this incident caused the flight to arrive 4 hours late in HNL. Ridiculous waste of time and money.
most of the folks on Flyertalk probably wouldn't care either way.. we just accept the fact that airlines charge silly fees on random things.

however, to the millions of people who read the reports or watched the videos of the incident, they may have second thoughts about booking Hawaiian Airlines the next time they need to fly to the Aloha state. IIRC, other U.S. airlines fly from the mainland to the island, right? if just 5 people decided to use another airline because of the news, the loss of profit from those ticket will no doubt far exceed the $12.

the crew could have handled it better... just pull the man aside and tell him quietly "sir, we'll let you have the blanket for free just this one time..." Yes, I know the man was in the wrong, but the diversion could have been more costly than just the airport fees and topping up of jet fuel... what if the diversion caused the plane to spend too much time on the ground and the crew went overtime? (in which case replacement pilots/FAs would have to be called in at last minute)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I for one hope the guy gets a criminal record (or at least a misdemeanor) out of this. People like this should be banned from flying
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do with the blanket or $12, it has to do with the judgment of the crewmember as to whether the "woodshed" statement was reasonably taken as a threat. That is all. Nothing more.

Unlike a bus where it is easy enough to see if the moron escalates and the next issue becomes about something else and involves actual violence, it is not quite so easy out over the Pacific on an aircraft.

This would not have been handled differently if it were about any issue on any carrier and I suspect that most people are just fine with the diversion and arrest.

Normal people who are well-balanced and don't pose a risk would say something, like "gee, that's a lot of money for something I expect for free" and then maybe send a nasty email afterwards. People who say what the moron said here, depending on their demeanor, are exactly the people trained air crews worry about ---- rightfully.

Good on them.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
I for one hope the guy gets a criminal record (or at least a misdemeanor) out of this. People like this should be banned from flying
I don't see as he did anything to warrant the diversion no less criminal charges. He got cold, wanted a free blanket and complained when they told him he'd have to buy one. Ok, dickish. But saying someone needs to be reprimanded for perceived poor customer service is hardly a threat. This looks far more like power tripping by the crew.
In the end, only the people there know what really transpired, but HA looks pretty lame here. I'd certainly not be thrilled if my trip to Hawaii was interrupted by my carrier and they told me it was over a blanket.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Often1
This has nothing to do with the blanket or $12, it has to do with the judgment of the crewmember as to whether the "woodshed" statement was reasonably taken as a threat. That is all. Nothing more.

Unlike a bus where it is easy enough to see if the moron escalates and the next issue becomes about something else and involves actual violence, it is not quite so easy out over the Pacific on an aircraft.

This would not have been handled differently if it were about any issue on any carrier and I suspect that most people are just fine with the diversion and arrest.

Normal people who are well-balanced and don't pose a risk would say something, like "gee, that's a lot of money for something I expect for free" and then maybe send a nasty email afterwards. People who say what the moron said here, depending on their demeanor, are exactly the people trained air crews worry about ---- rightfully.

Good on them.
" People who say what the moron said here, depending on their demeanor, are exactly the people trained air crews worry about ---- rightfully."
. I believe "moron" is a rather arcane word. You might try cold 66 year old man.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
IMO, it really doesn't matter if an airline wants to charge for something, even a blanket. The problem here is that, AGAIN, a f/a dropped the "Interfering With A Flight Crew" card when a pax became pissed about what they thought was a rip off, which it just possibly might be. Diverting, possibly dumping fuel, and inconveniencing hundreds of pax's over $10 or $12 is just plain stupid. Give him the damn blanket and continue on your merry way. No need to make a BIG DEAL out of this and quite frankly embarrass the entire airline over a petty charge. The captain should have to explain to his supers why he decided to take the route that he did, and if the f/a embellished her story to him causing him to decide to divert she should be reprimanded/retrained also.

As of late looking at an airline employee cross-eyed gets you an interview with the FBI. If they can't handle an upset customer without making a federal case out of something then they need to go into a different line of work.
Do you know the rules that FAs have to follow today? Are you aware of the policies that FAs have to follow? When does the FA have the authority to order the Captain to land a plane?

The problem here is corporate policy that nickel and diming passengers is ok now, post 9/11. Everything and I mean everything for sale is accountable. If the inventory and the money don't balance, it could cost the FA their job. It's not like the old days when we could cut corners and take care of small things. That authority doesn't exist any more.

No matter how crazy the rules seem to be, challenging them on the plane is the wrong move. He should have waited until he was off the plane. Any kind of threats are taken seriously today. TSA scans babies and old ladies. The government is serious.

It's going to take the passengers to confront the airlines with what they will accept. Until that happens, it's business as usual. So take your frustrations out on anyone but the crew.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Well, I think there is plenty of sill to go around.

While you would hope that there was a better option than to divert over a grumpy old guy complaining about paying for a blanket, maybe his demeanor gave them no choice.

I will just say that I get tired of people complaining on planes. I also can see where a crew pulled the "for everyones safety card" out a little early.

I wasnt there but depending on the persons actions...it could have been justified. The fact that it was over a blanket it not really important, it comes down to his actions and all I have seen so far is his woodshed comment but maybe there was more...I hope.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:02 am

“he needed to take someone behind the woodshed”

Where is this guy from Arkansas?

$12 seems like a lot for one of their crap6y blankets. I hope it was at least a clean one @:-) but not worth not going to Hawaii over.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:15 am

The blankets that are charged for are actually higher quality than the usual airline blankets. I do remember the blankets being free for red eyes though. However, I'm still not sure what side I agree with. Both sides had things that were wrong and could have been handled better. That being said, I've actually switched my flying from Ha to UA of all things. HA just doesn't respect their elites as well as other airlines, but that's another story.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by JumboJet

$12 seems like a lot for one of their crap6y blankets. I hope it was at least a clean one @:-) but not worth not going to Hawaii over.
where exactly did he consider a "woodshed" on a plane?

people do crazier things for much less than $12. I once saw an elderly couple fight with the take-out counter employee because they felt it was wrong to charge them an extra 50 cents for a 2nd tiny cup of dip. FIFTY CENTS! Police was called and the couple arrested for disorderly conduct. The funniest(or saddest) part was that the cop had to load the couple's walker into the trunk of his police cruiser....
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:25 pm

AA provides blankets no-charge in Y on DFW-Hawaii flights

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Yup, it's right here (though apparently it's $10.): https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our...hana-snack-bar

I don't think it's that uncommon (jetblue: https://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/shut-eye/ ) and I'd rather have the option of purchasing one than have them just unavailable, like on AA (and DL and UA?)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by JumboJet

Common expression among the older generation. During the presidential campaign season, Biden wanted to "take [Trump] behind the gym." Trump mocked Biden for wanting to take him "behind the barn."

What the flight attendants did was stupid, but assuming they reported everything truthfully to the cockpit, I think the final blame lies on the pilot for deciding to divert.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, I don't think he's banned from flying. He has no criminal record, but he never had any trouble from the law. He got a little trouble from flight attendant during the flight. He doesn't understand why he doesn't want to pay a blanket. This should be free.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I don't understand why anyone would wish this on someone else, especially on a 66-year-old man who simply wants an aircraft to be regulated for the comfort of a seated passenger or a blanket to compensate for a lack thereof. Had I been on that flight and been cold, too, I'm about 95% sure that he and I would've both gotten free blankets or had the temperature raised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.