Search

Why not go to Guam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HA
Why not go to Guam?

@:-)
Anyone know why HA doesn't fly to GUM? It seems like it'd be a significant market, as there's notable commerce between Hawaii and Guam. I get that UA are pretty totally dominant on the Island Hopper route, but HA don't really seem intimidated to take on UA. Also, HA serve American Samoa and are pretty ambitious across the Pacific internationally and to growing numbers of US mainland cities.

Is it an aircraft issue: 717s can't do it and A330s would either run too empty or too infrequently? (It's not like UA have a ton of flights a day, either though).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
It would be nice to have an alternative to UA, but when I flew it I recall it was basically an "international" route and not as bad a typical domestic flight.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Small markets may have room for one carrier but not for two. If the route, by virtue of passenger/cargo mix or range, demands a widebody, both UA and HA are looking at pretty big units of capacity.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Why not go to Guam? Because that asset, the aircraft, can make a greater return on investment while flying an alternate route. Very simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.