Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flight 45 SJC to OGG (not!) August 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have more info on this? Apparently plane had a mechanical problem & returned to Oakland, not San Jose for repair 2 hours after takeoff, & now passengers have to wait almost 24 hours, some stuck at Oakland airport. Here's an article:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...t-for-repairs/

A piece on TV news implied they didn't do much for passengers, supposed to get them hotel rooms but said none available in Oakland, one (only 1???) meal voucher for the whole day. Seems very shabby to me, but probably legal. They did allegedly offer refunds, but not cover pre-paid hotels or cancellations in Maui. Worst is group of 15 going for a wedding Saturday, including bride's parents & sister IIRC.

We have reservations on same flight in 2 weeks. I guess the good news is they should have plenty of time to fix the plane.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:16 am

Seems like with that much time, HA could have bused them to somewhere that does have hotel rooms available. Say, San Francisco, for instance.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Update--on the morning news, I saw that the plane left at 5 am today, almost 24 hours late, and did arrive on Maui. There was no further word on whether passengers waited in Oakland airport all night or whether Hawaiian did anything further for them.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:00 pm
azj

Passengers were indeed in hotels and nobody was forced to camp in the airport. A different plane carried the passengers to OGG this morning (one of the regularly scheduled inbounds from the Islands). The plane in question operated the OAK-OGG flight on-time today. It looks like a portion of the delay was to wait for a part, then have it installed and apparently there were issues with the repair taking longer than planned. As a result, the crew ran out of time within their legal duty period and had to be put back to rest, which caused the bulk of the delay and forced the bizarre departure time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.