Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

segments on HA and AA using HA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys! I'm building up a stash of HA miles for a trip to HNL Nov 2015. Problem is I don't live near an airport that HA services (I'm in Cincinnati). My original plan was to use Avios to fly AA to one of the NYC airports, and then take the JFK-HNL flight. But I'm wondering if it would be possible to get it ticketed all in one reservation from HA using their partner program. Is that even an option, flying AA and HA segments on an HA award? If so, I'd assume it would be at the slightly higher partner rate, but that would be ok if I could check luggage through and only have to pay one baggage fee instead of two.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
As far as I know, you can't mix carriers on an HA award. Their mileage program is pretty primitive and pretty low-value. If you're building HA miles with credit card spend, you'd almost certainly be better off with cash back.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Their mileage program is pretty primitive and pretty low-value.
Pretty low value since they stopped providing saver awards well in advance.....
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:32 pm

Your best option if you've already started building up HawaiianMiles might be to redeem the miles for an AA CVG-HNL award, and not fly HA at all.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Still pretty available to west coast, but that's only getting you something like 1.25 cents/point or a little better. I think HA just figures people don't do arithmetic when they're thinking about vacation.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:54 am

Still pretty available to west coast, but that's only getting you something like 1.25 cents/point or a little better. I think HA just figures people don't do arithmetic when they're thinking about vacation.
I do math. The only value proposition for me was international saver F awards. These have disappeared for those of us who like to plan long-term.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:01 am

I do math. The only value proposition for me was international saver F awards. These have disappeared for those of us who like to plan long-term.
Ah. Yes. That happened so long ago I'd half forgotten. I started building up a nice pile of miles for a couple of business tickets to Australia or New Zealand, and the availability disappeared completely before I even got close.

I did recently get a survey inviting me to offer my opinions about HA's elite program. I gave them both barrels, but doubt it will make any difference. That's OK. AS MVPG works REALLY well if you live in HNL and have family in the PNW.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:24 pm

Ah. Yes. That happened so long ago I'd half forgotten. I started building up a nice pile of miles for a couple of business tickets to Australia or New Zealand, and the availability disappeared completely before I even got close.

I did recently get a survey inviting me to offer my opinions about HA's elite program. I gave them both barrels, but doubt it will make any difference. That's OK. AS MVPG works REALLY well if you live in HNL and have family in the PNW.
I've been Plat for a long time. I wish the incentives were there to continue, as I do like HA for many reasons.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:46 pm

I've been Plat for a long time. I wish the incentives were there to continue, as I do like HA for many reasons.
I like the airline too, and of course I keep flying them interisland, but the FF value proposition at Alaska is so vastly much better for my travel patterns that they and their partners will be getting my longhaul revenue travel for as long as that stays true.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Did something change re: HA low/saver award space recently? I just flew 5 saver seats round-trip on a peak Saturday JFK to HNL to OGG this past winter and was planning to redeem again in a few months for the following winter.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Did something change re: HA low/saver award space recently? I just flew 5 saver seats round-trip on a peak Saturday JFK to HNL to OGG this past winter and was planning to redeem again in a few months for the following winter.
Five seats in F on one flight? Amazing. I've looked into flights to Japan and Australia and cannot find availability. Used to, but not now....
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

5 seats in COACH super saver 35 K Round trip per person. I flew outbound on Saturday and return left on a Friday.

Please tell me this is still available before I get more credit cards for the family.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
5 seats in COACH super saver 35 K Round trip per person. I flew outbound on Saturday and return left on a Friday.

Please tell me this is still available before I get more credit cards for the family.
Just a data point, but I just snagged 4 super saver RT to LAX for April 2015, all booked from my account, although Mrs. has a HA CC.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by yahrite808
Just a data point, but I just snagged 4 super saver RT to LAX for April 2015, all booked from my account, although Mrs. has a HA CC.
That's a good use of HA miles if you're earning them from flying, but not much of a return on credit card spend compared to cash back, SPG, etc.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
That's a good use of HA miles if you're earning them from flying, but not much of a return on credit card spend compared to cash back, SPG, etc.
I'd say 90% from flying, the credit card just gets me an extra bag which comes in handy and the $10/flight credit which gets snacks for the keiki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.