Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any luck getting refund after price drop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:06 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors

I priced flights to HNL from PHX and while I was researching, I saw that HA raised their fares and thought it was only going to keep going up. I purchased the tickets at the end of may, and now I see that the price dropped back to where they were originally. Lower to the tune of $775 for 5 tickets.

Anyone have any luck getting HA to refund in a case like this?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
In short no.

However they will allow you to cancel less the change fee...ymmv
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
refundable

Hi
did you buy refundable ticket if not I would say NO.
anyway good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by billinaz

Anyone have any luck getting HA to refund in a case like this?
Yes. This happened to me last year and I called them (within 7 days I think it was) and they gave me a paper credit for the difference. They were really good about it. So definitely call them and give it a go.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Well, I bought 5 tickets, one each for a family of 5.

They are offering to give me the difference minus $40 in the form of a one year nontransferrable credit.

They also would not honor the affiliate 5% you get when booking on the HA webages using an affiliate code

http://azalohafest.org/Airline_Discount.html

So I loose the 5% discount as well as the $40 per ticket.

In short, they reduces the $775 to about $300, and this would be 5 travel vouchers that have to be used in one year, and they have to be used for the name on the voucher.

I asked why they raised then dropped the price of the ticket so much, it appears to be a way to get people to buy the tickets before the price went up again... they said that sometimes there are cancellations that make prices go down. It appears we are the only ones in the cabin with a booked seat right now....

Its not possible that Im going to be able to get all 5 of us to HNL again in a year so in effect it is a useless proposition.

Im just not happy that I was watching the price and saw it jump so I thought it was rising. I purchased the tickets, only to look now and see they decreased back to the original fare that I saw before they raised the price for a month.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by billinaz
Well, I bought 5 tickets, one each for a family of 5.

They are offering to give me the difference minus $40 in the form of a one year nontransferrable credit.

They also would not honor the affiliate 5% you get when booking on the HA webages using an affiliate code

http://azalohafest.org/Airline_Discount.html

So I loose the 5% discount as well as the $40 per ticket.

In short, they reduces the $775 to about $300, and this would be 5 travel vouchers that have to be used in one year, and they have to be used for the name on the voucher.

I asked why they raised then dropped the price of the ticket so much, it appears to be a way to get people to buy the tickets before the price went up again... they said that sometimes there are cancellations that make prices go down. It appears we are the only ones in the cabin with a booked seat right now....

Its not possible that Im going to be able to get all 5 of us to HNL again in a year so in effect it is a useless proposition.

Im just not happy that I was watching the price and saw it jump so I thought it was rising. I purchased the tickets, only to look now and see they decreased back to the original fare that I saw before they raised the price for a month.
While $300 is better than nothing, I don't see why they would cancel the 5% discount. Did they explain the reasoning on that?

How much were the tickets at purchase?

Sometimes searches take seats out of inventory temporarily, making your immediate next search show higher fares.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
We now have two threads here mentioning that HA will give you the difference in vouchers minus $40. You're lucky enough to get that. HA has not routinely given vouchers in the past and the fare rules don't require them to give you anything at all.

Does anyone have confirmation that this is an official policy documented anywhere?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Changes in Rules, Fares and Charges
If after a ticket has been issued and before any portion thereof has been used, either a decrease in the fares or charges applicable to the transportation shown on the ticket becomes effective, or a new fare for which the passenger can qualify is added between the points shown on the ticket, the amount of the difference in fares will be provided only in the form of a transportation credit, provided;
There is no change in origin, destination, stopover points, flights, dates shown on the original ticket, or on any ticket issued in exchange for the original ticket.
Subsequent to the decrease in fares or charges or the addition of a new fare, all conditions of the decrease fares or charges of the new fare are met, including booking code and advance reservations and ticketing requirements.
This rule will only apply to tickets purchased through Hawaiian Airlines Reservations Department or sold on Hawaiian Airlines Web Site HawaiianAir.com, and does not apply to fares purchased as part of travel packages.
An administrative service charge of USD $40.00 will apply for all tickets presented for one-time exchange.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twtrvl
While $300 is better than nothing, I don't see why they would cancel the 5% discount. Did they explain the reasoning on that?

How much were the tickets at purchase?

Sometimes searches take seats out of inventory temporarily, making your immediate next search show higher fares.
Quote "Its our policy" unquote.

And IF you rebook using these vouchers you also cannot get the 5% discount, further devaluing these useless certificates.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:12 am

My son purchased a holiday round trip fare from LAS-HNL in July using preferred affiliate code. Fare dropped by over $200 so he sent an email to Hawaiian and was told to call Web Support. He called and was told that since he used preferred affiliate code, he was not eligible for a credit or refund because they changed their "rules" on July 30 or 31.

Was also told that if he had purchased a non-discounted fare, he would have been eligible for a refund.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by gskk3
My son purchased a holiday round trip fare from LAS-HNL in July using preferred affiliate code. Fare dropped by over $200 so he sent an email to Hawaiian and was told to call Web Support. He called and was told that since he used preferred affiliate code, he was not eligible for a credit or refund because they changed their "rules" on July 30 or 31.

Was also told that if he had purchased a non-discounted fare, he would have been eligible for a refund.

The change really shouldn't apply retroactively.

It might be worthwhile to try again.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: HA Plat, SM Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Silver
I have done the same a few times. Call Web Reservations to get your travel voucher
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did your son call again? If so, what was the outcome?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:06 am

No, sent an email through their website to Consumer Affairs and has not received a reply yet.

I notice that the section quoted above in post #8 re: the Contract of Carriage is still the same according to their website, so not sure what has changed to make his fare ineligible for a credit or refund.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, sent an email through their website to Consumer Affairs and has not received a reply yet.

I notice that the section quoted above in post #8 re: the Contract of Carriage is still the same according to their website, so not sure what has changed to make his fare ineligible for a credit or refund.
Correct. The language in post #8 does not exclude affiliate purchases. They may be within their rights to not apply the 5% discount to the new ticket (I've had other airlines do the same thing.)

However, they are violating their posted Contract of Carriage but not honoring the refund criteria. If HA is non-responsive, I would send a complaint to the Department of Transportation (with a screen shot of the lower fares).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.