Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HNL - overnight connection UA to MW (Mokulele)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SQ, EK

All -

Instead of booking a hotel for a few hours near HNL, I decided to continue my journey straight on Mokulele Airlines.

I will arrive on the island hopper at 0250am

Have now booked Mokulele flt to Kapalua (JHM) departing at 0640am

Will have a checked bag on UA, so wouldn't be able to stay airside even if that was technically possible.

Any recommendations on how to spend the time between these flights? What services are available landside at HNL around that time of the night?

Will be flying UA J and have status with them, but presume I won't need to ask about arrival lounges etc...
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
http://www.starbucks.com/store/11420...u-hi-968191890

Believe it is outside security in between the AA and DL checkin counters.

No arrivals lounge in HNL, no lounges will be open during most of your layover. Think the HA lounge opens at 4:30 but you wouldn't have access to that without a HA boarding pass + some credential to get you in.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
You will need to grab your luggage from the International Terminal where UA arrives, then go to the Commuter Terminal, where Mokulele departs. You can take a nice, leisurely stroll, since there will be nothing else to do except talk to Starbucks personnel, security officers, and street people.

At that time of night, you could try catching a cab and touring about Waikiki. At least you won't be racking up time-in-traffic charges as there will be no traffic at 3 AM.

Safe journey....
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
At that time of night, you could try catching a cab and touring about Waikiki. At least you won't be racking up time-in-traffic charges as there will be no traffic at 3 AM.
Not exactly! The traffic lights between H-1 and Waikiki are very poorly timed. You will rack up significant "time-at-traffic-light" charges, although there will be little actual traffic.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments - greatly appreciated!

slippahs - great info re Starbucks. That should work...

Hmmm, Waikiki at 3am - not sure what to expect around that time, but sounds like Starbucks will be the easy option...
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by nanyang
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments - greatly appreciated!

slippahs - great info re Starbucks. That should work...

Hmmm, Waikiki at 3am - not sure what to expect around that time, but sounds like Starbucks will be the easy option...
FWIW, it is not an air conditioned Starbucks. It's open air but there are a few tables there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.