Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines to fly to Beijing (Service Ending in October 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

The new service, Hawaiian's tenth new international destination since November 2010, will allow visitors from China's capital city to access Hawaiian's extensive network, serving the Hawaiian Islands and U.S. mainland.

"A scheduled flight between China and Hawai'i has long been an aspiration of Hawaiian and the travel industry in our state, and as the barriers to visitor travel from China to the United States slowly come down, we believe there will be significant demand for a Hawai'i vacation and Hawaiian Airlines," said Mark Dunkerley, Hawaiian Airlines' president and CEO. "With our network of flights between the islands and from Hawai'i to 11 cities in the U.S. mainland, Hawaiian is in a great position to offer the multi-stop itinerary that many visitors from China prefer."

"I want to congratulate Hawaiian Airlines for its continued expansion into the Pacific Rim," said Gov. Neil Abercrombie. "Hawai'i is the anchor of the Asia Pacific region and this non-stop service to Beijing will give China greater access to Hawai'i, which will become one of China's most important visitor destinations. Both China's and Hawai'i's economies will be the direct beneficiaries. I have every confidence this non-stop service by Hawaiian Airlines will enhance the cultural understanding that already exists between China and Hawai'i."

The Hawai'i Tourism Authority estimates the new service will generate $81 million in annual visitor expenditures and $8.47 million in tax revenue for Hawai'i.

"This new non-stop service will help to significantly grow visitor arrivals and expenditures from our highest spending visitor market," said Mike McCartney, president and CEO of the HTA. "The China market continues to grow year-over-year, and we anticipate further growth in 2013, targeting double-digit increases in arrivals (+25% to 144,910 visitors) and expenditures (+27% to $348 million)."

The new service will be launched from Honolulu on April 16, 2014 and will operate three times each week using a 294-seat A330 aircraft. It will be the only non-stop service between Honolulu and Beijing, which has a population of more than 20 million.

Subject to government approvals, Hawaiian's Flight HA 887 will depart Honolulu International Airport at 1:30 p.m. every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, cross the international dateline, and land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 7:30 p.m. the following day.

Hawaiian's Flight HA 888 will depart Beijing at 9:30 p.m. every Monday, Thursday and Saturday, cross the international dateline, and arrive in Honolulu at 1:05 p.m. the same day.

Travelers on Hawaiian Airlines enjoy an inflight experience not offered by any other airline. From the moment travelers board their Hawaiian Airlines flight, the airline's renown 'Mea Ho'okipa' (translation:I am host) onboard hospitality engages customers throughout the flight with its warm and friendly celebration of the culture, people and Aloha Spirit of the Hawaiian Islands.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/haw...014-2013-04-10
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
So...what happened MNL? Because the yielding are crappy. That's why those route who didn't workout very well.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Thank You Citi Rewards
Although I'm happy to see Hawaiian flying non stop to Beijing with other destinations in China following soon afterwards, I'm disappointed in seeing the Manila route come an end... I would much rather see Hawaiian fly to Shanghai or Hong Kong first though...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It's too bad that MNL didn't work out! It seems that it would be a good fit with the Filipino population in Hawaii, although we had some complaints here about the connections with Mainland flights. Due to timing/scheduling issues, a passenger would have to overnight in HNL in one direction to/from MNL -- not the best situation.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:37 pm

but Manila is cancelled

so nice that hawaiian air is expanding...kind of. my wife travels to manila 4 times a year and i just booker her again for august, and 2 days later they announce no more manila flights as of august 1. thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm Reason: Aloha spirit
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
That's great news that HA will begin HNL-PEK service. OTOH, that is also sad news that HA will discontinue the HNL-MNL route. I was hoping that eventually HA would extend the MNL route to HKG but it seems that doing a routing like that would not be in HA's plans right now.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Thank You Citi Rewards
I don't blame Hawaiian for dumping the MNL route... The Philippines really need to upgrade their awful airport! Maybe than, can it be used as a viable hub SE Asia...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Anyone booked already?

Thinking of going to Hawaii in April or May from PEK and looking at the direct flight on Hawaiian. Saves the hassle of connecting through Korea/Japan, but the timings are awkward, especially travelling with a 2 and 5 year old. I also noticed that the seats in J are recliners. Love to hear some experiences from others who flew long haul with them on awkward hours (with children if any).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Hawaiian Airlines Starts Beijing Flights, Inks Codeshare Pact With Air China

This week, Hawaiian launched 3x-weekly A330 service between Honolulu and Beijing as well as announced the signing of a codeshare agreement with Air China.

Under the terms of the codeshare agreement, Hawaiian will place its “HA” code on Air China-operated flights from Beijing to Shanghai, Hangzhou, Guangzhou and Shenyang. Air China will place its “CA” code on Hawaiian-operated flights from Honolulu to Kahului, Līhu'e, Kona and Hilo.
http://atwonline.com/airlines/hawaii...pact-air-china
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Originally Posted by sl00001
Thinking of going to Hawaii in April or May from PEK and looking at the direct flight on Hawaiian. Saves the hassle of connecting through Korea/Japan, but the timings are awkward, especially travelling with a 2 and 5 year old. I also noticed that the seats in J are recliners. Love to hear some experiences from others who flew long haul with them on awkward hours (with children if any).
In my experience, seats in Hawaiian's A330 First are comfortable enough, even though not flat recliners, of course. I fly it HNL/KIX sometimes. Definitely adequate for the Beijing to Honolulu route. And the plane is brand new, service is good.

I am doing monthly roundtrips between Hawaii and Beijing, mostly connecting through Fukuoka (HA/CA combination), Seoul (HA/KL), and Seattle (AS/DL). I looked at the new Hawaiian service for next week's trip, but ultimately I decided against using the new HA Beijing service because it was priced too high. DL129 out of Seattle offered me 767 round trip service to Beijing for the price of a one way ticket HNL/PEK on the new Hawaiian service, and it allows me to combine a mainland trip with going to Beijing. For the following month, I will stop over in FUK again, before Hawaiian takes away my FUK service and forces me to either use Delta or connect through their Seoul flight.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Just as a point of reference, CA has also begun direct service between HNL and PEK creating two non-stop options. Haven't really looked yet at the price differences but would expect CA to be cheaper; and their international hard and soft product as of late has been stellar.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:38 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Service ending in October 2018.

Hawaiian Airlines suspending Beijing service due to low demand

The state’s largest carrier said Tuesday it will suspend its thrice-weekly nonstop service between Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and Beijing Capital International Airport upon the completion of the National Day Golden Week holiday in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.