Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

On board the inaugural HA51 JFK-HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On board the inaugural HA51 JFK-HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't see a sufficient difference in them to really rank them. The 763 in F sucks more than the others but otherwise I really don't care all that much. The seats are pretty much the same. As you note, we're not talking about the actual premium configs. :-:
Exactly. Mainland-HI on UA was on either ghetto birds or poorly-configured 2-class. The 772's in F had the most uncomfortable design in the system.

But, you get what you pay for. If there was a market for 3-class intl. configuration on the Pacific Islands routes which was willing to pay $20K for a RT in F, my guess is that UA would scrounge up aircraft for it.

HA seems to have struck a balance. Long-haul w. some comforts and decent BOB mixed with some free items (in Y).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Its a shame that HA doesn't introduce premium economy (like UA's economy plus) on its longer flights like JFK-HNL. The extra leg room/pitch would make for a more comfortable trip. Funny how even B6 has more leg room in their "even more space" economy class seats for shorter flights.

TS
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Exactly. Mainland-HI on UA was on either ghetto birds or poorly-configured 2-class. The 772's in F had the most uncomfortable design in the system.
I think that the 763 was slightly worse, to the point that I didn't mind trading my F seat for E+ on a 763 to HNL a couple years back. But now we're really picking nits.

HA seems to have struck a balance. Long-haul w. some comforts and decent BOB mixed with some free items (in Y).
Agreed, and their new BoB menu looks very nice.

Originally Posted by twospirits
Its a shame that HA doesn't introduce premium economy (like UA's economy plus) on its longer flights like JFK-HNL. The extra leg room/pitch would make for a more comfortable trip. Funny how even B6 has more leg room in their "even more space" economy class seats for shorter flights.

TS
B6 managed to also cut one FA from their A320s when they removed the seats to get to a 150 capacity. It wasn't completely altruistic.

I agree, though, that a minor up-charge for a bit of extra legroom is somewhat profitable to the airlines. The real question is how many rows to dedicate to that and how many seats to cut because of it. B6 did it with a different goal. HA does it (stupid cheap) for the bulkhead row. UA has the most seats and charges the most for it IME. DL managed to make E- worse on a few planes to make room. It really does vary across the carriers.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think that the 763 was slightly worse, to the point that I didn't mind trading my F seat for E+ on a 763 to HNL a couple years back. But now we're really picking nits.

Agreed, and their new BoB menu looks very nice.

B6 managed to also cut one FA from their A320s when they removed the seats to get to a 150 capacity. It wasn't completely altruistic.

I agree, though, that a minor up-charge for a bit of extra legroom is somewhat profitable to the airlines. The real question is how many rows to dedicate to that and how many seats to cut because of it. B6 did it with a different goal. HA does it (stupid cheap) for the bulkhead row. UA has the most seats and charges the most for it IME. DL managed to make E- worse on a few planes to make room. It really does vary across the carriers.
I suspect that there's an E+ model to be had, but on long-hauls such as this, will only suceed if it includes some form of soft product improvements as well as the pitch (and is priced accordingly).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I suspect that there's an E+ model to be had, but on long-hauls such as this, will only suceed if it includes some form of soft product improvements as well as the pitch (and is priced accordingly).
I think that they can get away with just improving pitch, or pitch plus one free drink and still make some money. But they also have to be careful about cannibalizing the F product. And HA's F isn't all that great, so the margins there are tighter IMO.

The hard part remains the price point. At $25 or $35 (I forget which it was) that I paid for the bulkhead on JFK-HNL it was way too cheap. And that was just for legroom. I'd say they would probably sell enough of it at $75 or $100 that they wouldn't lose so much.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:38 pm

The 772's in F had the most uncomfortable design in the system.
I'm guessing that you are confusing the PMUA domestic 772 (6) with the PMUA domestic 763 (20+).

We've gone off topic enough in this thread, haven't we? If anybody wants to continue this sub-topic, let's continue it in the consolidated UA forum since there aren't enough argumentative threads over there.

The hard part remains the price point. At $25 or $35 (I forget which it was) that I paid for the bulkhead on JFK-HNL it was way too cheap. And that was just for legroom. I'd say they would probably sell enough of it at $75 or $100 that they wouldn't lose so much.
According to your trip report, you paid $35.

Apparently, it's now $75 on the JFK flights ... Link to post in the A330 thread that mentions the updated JFK add-on price with link to the chart

HA Add-on Pricing Chart (Scroll down to Miscellaneous Section)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Apparently, it's now $75 on the JFK flights ...
Seems much smarter on their part. And still a good value for the passenger IMO.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'm guessing that you are confusing the PMUA domestic 772 (6) with the PMUA domestic 763 (20+).
That was my thought too.... The 777 in F was very nice. But the 767 is one where I'd rather have 21 AB/HJ !

let's continue it in the consolidated UA forum since there aren't enough argumentative threads over there.
Best laugh of the day.

Seems much smarter on their part. And still a good value for the passenger IMO.
Concur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.