Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I charter a jet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the new FT
Group and Event Travel Planning Forum. (See Special Interest Travel)
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by sbm12
No, they can not. That's not how charter flights work. Scheduled charter service is slightly different but that's not what is involved here.

If everyone absolutely must arrive at the same time then a charter is likely going to be the best solution, though probably not the cheapest. I know how much it cost to hire a 739 from United/Continental for a few hours of flying (IAH-PHX-PAE), for example, and it wasn't cheap. And the OP would need two of those or a larger aircraft.
Thank you! I'm glad someone pointed it out that when an aircraft is chartered, only the person or group chartering the aircraft can occupy it and the empty seats cannot be advertised. This is due to the Federal Aviation Regulations regarding charter flights and dates back to common carriage law. Any airline, charter or not, is not able to hold out, or advertise, the remaining empty seats during charter operations.

Going that far will cost you a lot of money, especially considering how many people you have. I'd recommend World Airways first, but other major airlines such as Delta or United may be a better option depending on availability.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
A few thoughts on this one.

Yes you have 255 kids, but what us your school's required student to chaperone ratio? In reality, you could be looking at closer to 300 passengers in total.

In addition, it was suggested if you go the commercial flight route, you would need to break the group in half to do so. It is my opinion that this "cut" would be in about 1/6ths in order to get the best fares.

There is no way any airline is going to sell anything close to 100, 75 or maybe even 50% of the available seats to a group (at a discount), missing out the higher prices the public would pay for that same route.

You would also be looking at 25-50 dollars per passenger in baggage fees each way (figuring a suitcase plus instrument).

Honestly, I would go the charter route. Contact the airlines mentioned, consider using the airlines who are hubbed in LA or ATL, you may not have to pay for an aircraft to be flown in, as a result.

Also, consider going at strange times. While it may be less convienent to depart at 3am, the airline may just have a plane sitting around for you guys to use, versus again, having to fly one in)

Using some of the online charter quotes out there, it appears you would be looking at 150,000 - 250,000 all in for group.

Also, a few other points...

Consider using the closest airport to your school, that can handle your aircraft size -- same thing goes with Atlanta.

Also, push for the charter to operate from a hangar (not the terminal) if possible. This way, you can avoid security lines, and the like. --- My university's football team would usually leave EWR from a hangar, though it was 50/50 on the return flight.

No matter where you leave from, arrange for busses to/from the airport.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 pm

M

My advice: outsource this job to a music tour company. There are very reputable firms who organize musical group tours day in and day out. They can deal with the logistics, get better prices, have good contacts etc and in the end will save you money. That's what I'm doing as the tour leader for my daughters' international choir tour next year - and believe me, even WITH professional help, I'm spending thousands of hours on this tour. Dealing with the parents will take all your time.

I can't recommend a particular tour company, since ours, which I love, only does overseas tours. But they recently took a large marching band to South Africa, with shipping containers full of props and instruments, with many adventures but no catastrophes. And got everyone and all the stuff home again. Don't go this alone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.