Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Building a discrimination case against a B&B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building a discrimination case against a B&B

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Maybe the middle ground

1- No matter what color or sexual orientation I am, it would sicken me to pay good money to have my vacation ruined by a property that doesn't want to offer me the same services they offer everyone else for whatever reason. Change your reservation and enjoy your vacation
2- Lodge a complaint with whatever body you deem appropriate because it's important to add to the wealth of examples of this behaviour.
3- Do not go after the individual property as the time and money you spend will detract from whatever other things you'd be doing with that time.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by david4455
We pick our "battles"..... a 2 room B and B that appears not to want me and the consequences causes no inconvenience to my travel plans... is no big deal.( to me)

Sometimes I think the battles we pick are all about wounded ego and less the principle.... now.... if this was a major chain or a larger establishment... I might think differently but nothing you do here is going to"change" the B and B owner except make him hate gays more.
Respectfully, david4455, I don't see why it's any different whether it's a small hotel or a large chain. Why is it OK for small companies to discriminate against patrons but not large companies? Should we have the same rules for job discrimination, that small companies can refuse to hire gays but large companies can't discriminate?

I know I'm exaggerating the point here. We do all have to pick our battles, but what about the next person that goes through this, not knowing that the B&B doesn't "allow" legally married homosexual couples in their establishment? There is the little matter of the law here. If everyone shrugs their shoulders then when will this ever change. We're not talking about a private residence here, it's a public accomodation. The owners are mistaken in thinking that, since it's a B&B, they are excluded from anti-discrimination laws.

I'm not trying to put myself up on a pedestal. I'd probably not bother getting a lawyer in a situation like this. But, I would post in a public forum or post a review to let people know to avoid an establishment like this, just like the OP did.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by david4455
We pick our "battles"..... a 2 room B and B that appears not to want me and the consequences causes no inconvenience to my travel plans... is no big deal.( to me)

Sometimes I think the battles we pick are all about wounded ego and less the principle.... now.... if this was a major chain or a larger establishment... I might think differently but nothing you do here is going to"change" the B and B owner except make him hate gays more.
I totally agree tht this is on the borderline of whether it is worth fighting. (Although some responses in this thread push me in a certain direction )

If I were the OP I would send the complaint form (it doesn't commit him) and most certainly complain to any tourist board or equivalent that the establishment belongs to. On the other hand, rights are guaranteed by being slightly bloody minded about enforcing them and the OP's rights have been infringed. So whatever he does is fine with me.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

OK - reminder to get back on topic about what to do about "discrimination at a B&B in Scotland" not "global" political issues of race / religion etc and also a reminder that no personal commentary is allowed.

Please get back on topic before we are forced to either lock this thread or move it to OMNI Politics / Religion.

Thanks!!!

peteropny - moderator - GLBT
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
There is information on how to make a claim in a Scottish Sheriff's Court here: http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/e...riffcourt.aspx
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:59 am

When the femail friend called, the owner said there had been a cancellation.

The conspiracy theorist would want to hear that the 'cancellation' was a ruse, so that you wouldn't find out that your booking had been cancelled because you're gay.

However, as the owner is unlikely to have known it was your friend calling, I highly doubt that they would have needed to make up the "just had a cancellation" excuse. More likely, they would have just said "yes, we have a room available".

You don't have a case. Even if it were true, the 'evidence' being suggested is not realistically going to prove anything. But why not try, and give a B&B owner a hard time simply for not calling you back before he had another call to book a room.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: MR Silver elite, Hertz Gold, AA, Delta, AirTran
Just an interesting aside, for us properties I believe the antidiscrimination laws only cover those properties with 4 or more rooms.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:54 am
MKB
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, and particularly to hsmall for the private message.

I was all set to take this further as I agree with the sentiment expressed early on in this thread that we have a duty to see that the new UK anti-discrimination law is enforced where it is being broken.

Unfortunately, the b&b owner seems to have guessed what was afoot regarding the test booking by my friend, and did some rapid backtracking, suddenly becoming willing to respond to emails and now being prepared to offer us a room, effectively rendering useless the inconclusive case we already had. It seems that, in terms of accepting bookings here, a straight couple trump a gay couple who already have a confirmed booking, but a gay couple trump having an empty room.

In the event, fate smiled kindly on us since the replacement accommodation was also of a high standard, much better located and £20 cheaper.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
my boyfriend's mother runs a B&B in Scotland. VisitScotland and the tourist board will de-list any B&B that openly discriminates against gay visitors. You should definitely contact them.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
[Removed response to off-topic post. --robb]

More on top topic (and not of Omni type), would you really want to stay at this establishment. Legal recourse is probably quite difficult and as sad it may seem the B&B owners to have the right to refuse to serve anyone (despite how pathetic the reason may be). The best advise is to move on and if you want write a review in tripadvisor. At least it will warn off customers that do not want to be around small minded people.

Last edited by robb; Mar 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm Reason: Off-topic, personal
Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Final warning, folks.

Whatever side of this issue you are on, discuss it civilly. One more ad hominem remark and the thread gets locked or moved.

In the immortal words of Moms everywhere, "I really don't care if Johnny hit you first."

Play nice.

Thank you.

Your Friendly Neighborhood GLBT Moderating Team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.