Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm or Copenhagen?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Stockholm or Copenhagen?

Trying to choose where to go for a weekend (2 nights), either to Stockholm or Copenhagen. Interested in either going on Friday, returning on Sunday for Stockholm (however that works least with my other schedule), or Wednesday through Friday, Thursday through Saturday for Copenhagen. Will be staying at either Sheraton (Stockholm) or Palace Hotel (Copenhagen). Any thoughts on which city is a more fun option? Looking to just walk around, restaurants, bars, nightlife. By "nightlife" I mean nice gay lounges, bars, maybe dance clubs but nothing seedy or risque (just totally not into that). If I go Wednesday through Friday, will any of the gay places be open? Will there be people there? Any specific recommendations? Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:56 pm

I'm kind of curious myself. From what I've heard, both are neither that "great" , depends what you're looking for.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
I was in CPH for a few days in November and thought it was kinda boring. I've never been to Stockholm. CPH was very walkable. I never needed a cab or subway except to go to the airport. BTW-most things were closed on Sunday.

Last edited by wiredboy10003; Jan 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm Reason: remembered Sunday
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
To be honest, I am kind of leaning towards Stockholm myself. I only allow myself two nights there, otherwise I heard it can get rather boring. I am also thinking about going Friday through Sunday to maximize opportunities that there will actually be people in bars and restaurants, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:47 pm

Wink

Stockholm is possibly the most beautiful city I've ever been to. It is also vibrant and surprisingly cosmopolitan. Copenhagen, despite being the larger city, feels more like an overgrown village. For a short visit, either city will have enough sights and cultural attractions to keep you busy and satisfied.

The gay scene in Scandinavia in general is rather sedate, a result of the full integration of gays into society. One thing about the Swedes -- they become much more open and gregarious once they've had a few drinks.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:57 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Stockholm is great for a quick weekend!!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Stockholm. Extremely picturesque and the people are friendly (and handsome).

CPH was boring when I went; would be interesting in tips from those that know otherwise!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Done and done - Stockholm it is! Thanks everyone for your help, I have been convinced now! Booking my Aerosvit flight as we speak
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:34 am

Aerosvit!? From Chicago?!

Don't forget to visit The Basement if you want to have fun.

Originally Posted by asnovici
Done and done - Stockholm it is! Thanks everyone for your help, I have been convinced now! Booking my Aerosvit flight as we speak
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen,
some info for you on restaurants, shopping, bars, lounges, hotels etc...

QX is the local gay/lesbian mag - lots of info

http://www.qx.se/pdf/QXGayMap2008.pdf
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoccerJock
Aerosvit!? From Chicago?!

Don't forget to visit The Basement if you want to have fun.
LOL, no, actually I am on KLM and Aeroflot to SVO and then after 5 days there onto ARN, so VV from SVO to KBP to ARN (Business Class was under $400!!!)
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by asnovici
Trying to choose where to go for a weekend (2 nights), either to Stockholm or Copenhagen. Interested in either going on Friday, returning on Sunday for Stockholm (however that works least with my other schedule), or Wednesday through Friday, Thursday through Saturday for Copenhagen. Will be staying at either Sheraton (Stockholm) or Palace Hotel (Copenhagen). Any thoughts on which city is a more fun option? Looking to just walk around, restaurants, bars, nightlife. By "nightlife" I mean nice gay lounges, bars, maybe dance clubs but nothing seedy or risque (just totally not into that). If I go Wednesday through Friday, will any of the gay places be open? Will there be people there? Any specific recommendations? Cheers!

Being from Sweden (Gotheburg) I like to think I have great wisdom when it comes to the country..hehe...ARN is the place to be heard and seen. CPH is for laying low..but if your looking for ENERGY..ARN is the place..Straight clubs are the most fun to go to in my book..We swedes dont care of sexuality..Sooo dont worry...Great food ,shopping..GO FOR ARN!!!!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I'd say it depends on when you're going. I can think of no better place to go than Stockholm in the summer. The people are so happy and beautiful and it's a gorgeous city. On the other hand, it can be a bit boring during the cold, dark winters, so CPH might be a better place to go relax during colder months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.