Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Accomodations near nightlife/beach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona Accomodations near nightlife/beach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Juanefny
But... I'd not discount partying in BCN.. BCN night clubs and bars are AMAZING... especially if you speak some Spanish or Catalan
French works as well (Canadian French anyway)
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:22 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
BCN hotels

I visit Barcelona 4-6x a year, and have done so for some years.

As stated above, the gay area is in the Eixample (pronounced Ashamplay) but it's in the part of the district to the Left of the Paseo de Gracia. A gay-run hotel - Axel Hotel - is there and very close to the bars etc. It's comfortable, normally very busy with other gay guys staying but it's only 3*

When I spent a week there in August 2008 with a friend, we used Expedia to book the Hotel Claris which is 5* as it was cheaper than the Axel (as businessmen's hotels in Europe are usually pretty empty in August)

I get a taxi when I go to the beach; normally the journey time is 15mins and even in "rush-hour" traffic for Sunday lunch at the beach it only takes 30mins or so.

Send me a PM if you want some recommendations on restaurants or comment on other hotels.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I have two recommendations from last summer.

If you want to stay on/near the beach (and taxi to Eixample in the evenings instead), try:

Confortel Barcelona
C/ RAMON TURRO 196-198
ESQUINA C/ LLACUNA
BARCELONA

It's a very modern hotel with great rooms at great prices in the summer - sort of reminds me of a cheaper W hotel. Free wi-fi, free minibar, pillow menu, etc. It's a short walk to the beach and not too far from there around to the gay beach. The hotel is full of British tourists, fyi.

In central Barcelona, the following was excellent:
Ac Irla
Calvet 40
BARCELONA 08021
Spain

It's a 10 minute walk to the gay bars / nightlife, but a nice walk (again, we were there in the summer). Great value hotel with ultra modern furnishings, nice dark rooms (blinds blocked out the sun), and was only around $US99 a night. Check hotels.com.

The only other recommendation I would give is Casa Camper (the hotel that the shoe company own), however that's getting a bit more expensive. The have the best complimentary 'kitchen' you'll ever see - Red Bull, sandwiches, coke, tea, soup...great!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
...nice dark rooms...

Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Evil!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL GM
The gay-run Axel hotel is actually quite nice, and well-located. It's a pleasant short walk to the Ramblas, and a pleasant long walk to the beach. There's a subway stop a couple of blocks away as well.

When I was there last year, the (cute!) staff were very helpful and the room was attractive, clean and comfortable. The very large shower was especially nice. There's a rooftop pool and bar.

There seemed to be a lot of different sorts of people staying there--gay men of every age and description as well as lesbians and more than a few straight people. I will definitely go back.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
The Axel is the only place I've stayed where the door-hanger has three options - Do Not Disturb, Please Make Up My Room, and I'm Looking for Company, Please Knock... Having said that, it seemed incredibly uncruisy to us, I wouldn't like anyone to think it was a bathhouse... on the other hand, we were there in winter, so the rooftop pool wasn't open: I guess that could make things more lively!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morland
we were there in winter, so the rooftop pool wasn't open: I guess that could make things more lively!
So I've heard.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
I think an -ie is missing from one of your words.
LOL that is how I read it as well bwhahaha!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
LOL that is how I read it as well bwhahaha!
BTW that quick(ie) in BCN reminded why I should NEVER book early morning flights. Slept way past the departure time yet again.

I normally fly on semiflexible tickets so at most it means having an extra overnight somewhere along the route.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I also liked the Hotel Axel. The sexual energy was tepid, even with the pool open Great staff, nice rooms, good location, very clean.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by holtju2
BTW that quick(ie) in BCN reminded why I should NEVER book early morning flights. Slept way past the departure time yet again.

I normally fly on semiflexible tickets so at most it means having an extra overnight somewhere along the route.

In my younger days, I would just stay out all night and party (did that one time on a flight to SYD). An airplane is a good place to be sketchy (from high doses of party favors) as one does not need to move much, food and drink are served in your seat and thinking is not very relevant. Now I do this from time to time, but the recovery gets longer and harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.