Search

Orlando Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question Orlando Advice

I'm thinking of making a trip to Orlando and have never been as an adult.

I'm looking for area to stay in, hotel, restaurant and things to see/do recommendations.

I like to walk and take public transpiration, but I'm not sure that the easiest thing to do in Orlando. I'm not sure I want to rent a car unless you folks say I should.

I'm a Westin or W Hotel kinda guy. I was looking at the Westin imagine, but it looks to be in an isolated area and the reviews of the Swan seem "so-so", so I'm at a loss. Again, I like to walk, take pictures, and I like to be experience the city/region as a resident.

Restaurants. I like it all. Seafood, Thai, Steak, American, expensive, moderate, cheap, etc.. Let me know your favorites.

Also, where does one party in Orlando? I like diverse crowds.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions, just trying to prepare the best I can.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Mr Cheap,

We have no public transportations besides the bus, which is a joke and have never been on in my life. You are going to pretty much drive everywhere. Since this is Orlando you are really not going to find a trendy hotel such as the W. The Westin Imagine is a hotel-condo that is located near the Convention center. Are you wanting to do the themeparks? The Swan is actually decent, though I wish they had remodeled the bathrom the last rehab. Those resorts are probably going to be the best starwood properties in Orlando.

Disney of course has a lot of dining, also Downtown Orlando has a lot of great places as well, but most tourist do not know about them. I live here so I am happy to answer any of your questions.

Some restaurants that I would recommend downtown are...

http://www.huerestaurant.com/
http://www.kresrestaurant.com/

Dexter' in Thornton Park is nice, but a bit loud
www.dexwine.com

The Dolphin has BlueZoo which is a Todd English restaurant.

Last edited by TravisMT81; Jan 9, 2009 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Mr Cheap,

We have no public transportations besides the bus, which is a joke and have never been on in my life. You are going to pretty much drive everywhere. Since this is Orlando you are really not going to find a trendy hotel such as the W. The Westin Imagine is a hotel-condo that is located near the Convention center. Are you wanting to do the themeparks? The Swan is actually decent, though I wish they had remodeled the bathrom the last rehab. Those resorts are probably going to be the best starwood properties in Orlando.

Disney of course has a lot of dining, also Downtown Orlando has a lot of great places as well, but most tourist do not know about them. I live here so I am happy to answer any of your questions.

Some restaurants that I would recommend downtown are...

http://www.huerestaurant.com/
http://www.kresrestaurant.com/

www.dexwine.com

The bus? Eeeek! I'm clutching my pearls! LOL I thought I might go to Universal Studios.

I just want to check the happening neighborhoods, get some sun as the north is Cold as H, E double hockey sticks right now!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:05 am

Well if you are looking for sun, why not Ft Lauderdale? Besides the themeparks, not much in Orlando.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yeah, why not FLL or South Beach, the latter involving no need to drive. Orlando lots of traffic, screaming kids, fat adults, and not much else other than Disney.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
You might want to also read this recent thread with some nightlife suggestions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...ife-scene.html

Orlando isn't the best location for *W fans. Last time I was in Orlando I stayed at a Hampton Inn option near the convention center because the new Westin was not open yet and I needed to be near the convention center. The location of the Westin is also mainly good for those attending a convention. There used to be the Grand Bohemian (http://www.grandbohemianhotel.com/) which was part of *W but they left sometime in the last couple of years and are now part of the Preferred Hotel Association. If you want to be downtown then that would seem to be one of the best W-like alternative. There is also a place called EO Inn and Spa ( http://www.eoinn.com/ )that I remember reading about in the downtown area but I have no direct experience with the property. Looks nice though! I have also stayed at the JW Marriott and the Marriott Vacation place a couple of times.

Like others have mentioned, I probably would chose FLL over Orlando as a better vacation destination with a lot more options for hotels and nightlife. (sadly no more *W Atlantic or St. Regis). That said, you can probably have a great time in Orlando as well but under different conditions.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 9, 2009 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well if you are looking for sun, why not Ft Lauderdale? Besides the themeparks, not much in Orlando.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yeah, why not FLL or South Beach, the latter involving no need to drive. Orlando lots of traffic, screaming kids, fat adults, and not much else other than Disney.
Because I'm tired of South Beach. In FLL the beach doesn't look as much fun and I don't know where to party. Also in FLL you need to drive.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Because I'm tired of South Beach. In FLL the beach doesn't look as much fun and I don't know where to party. Also in FLL you need to drive.

How about San Diego or Laguna Beach. Both gay sections are laid back but again you will need wheels. However, both San Juan or Rio do not require a car and have a great beach scene. Flights from SJU from NYC tend to be very economical.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
You might want to also read this recent thread with some nightlife suggestions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...ife-scene.html

Orlando isn't the best location for *W fans. Last time I was in Orlando I stayed at a Hampton Inn option near the convention center because the new Westin was not open yet and I needed to be near the convention center. The location of the Westin is also mainly good for those attending a convention. There used to be the Grand Bohemian (http://www.grandbohemianhotel.com/) which was part of *W but they left sometime in the last couple of years and are now part of the Preferred Hotel Association. If you want to be downtown then that would seem to be one of the best W-like alternative. There is also a place called EO Inn and Spa ( http://www.eoinn.com/ )that I remember reading about in the downtown area but I have no direct experience with the property. Looks nice though! I have also stayed at the JW Marriott and the Marriott Vacation place a couple of times.

Like others have mentioned, I probably would chose FLL over Orlando as a better vacation destination with a lot more options for hotels and nightlife. (sadly no more *W Atlantic or St. Regis). That said, you can probably have a great time in Orlando as well but under different conditions.
Thanks for all the suggestions.^

I read the referenced post (you know I hate it when folks post stuff without searching first LOL ). In 2009 I'm attempting to visit places that I wouldn't normally visit. Instead of going to Miami again, I thought I would visit Orlando, Fort Meyers or Daytona. Instead of going to Houston again, I thought I would visit San Antonio or Austin.

I just wanted to take a quick get away weekend, not a true vacation.

All advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
How about San Diego or Laguna Beach. Both gay sections are laid back but again you will need wheels. However, both San Juan or Rio do not require a car and have a great beach scene. Flights from SJU from NYC tend to be very economical.
I want something within a 2 or 2½ hour flight. Going to the west coast I would lose a whole day on the return.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
I can just give you my recent experiences, although it looks like you may be after a bit "higher class" trip than I had.

I recently went for a quick weekend trip down to Orlando and stayed at the Parliament House which was charming in its own run down/cruisy way (although I did feel like the youngest person actually staying there). The best part was the dance club and drag show. Dance club played an awesome mix of vocal trance/house until 3 AM on both Sat and Sun, and the Sun t-dance was actually just as crowded as Sat.

There was actually a group of about a dozen guys who split up into groups of three and for about 2 hours did synchornized dances that were really fun to watch, not sure if that's a regular occurance.

I would second the other posters about needing a car. Orlando seems about as unfriendly to public transit as you can get. If you wanted to go to Disney or Universal its a 20-30 minute drive the downtown area.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz #1 President's Circle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Thanks for all the suggestions.^

I read the referenced post (you know I hate it when folks post stuff without searching first LOL ). In 2009 I'm attempting to visit places that I wouldn't normally visit. Instead of going to Miami again, I thought I would visit Orlando, Fort Meyers or Daytona. Instead of going to Houston again, I thought I would visit San Antonio or Austin.

I just wanted to take a quick get away weekend, not a true vacation.

All advice is appreciated.
Austin can be really fun...

Mr Cheap,
*snip*

www.dexwine.com

You HAVE to go to Dexter's. It's one of my favorite places and from there you can walk down and get some ice cream and see the Lake, etc (or hop in your car and head to a nearby bar for a cocktail)
I've stayed at the Westin downtown a few times and they usually have decent weekend rates. The only drawback is having to pay for parking.
I also like the fourpoints (ex Sheraton) on I Drive. Moderate hotel but not a bad location for getting downtown, Disney or the convention center. Only problem I had is having to get SPG to credit my stay on a AAA rate because apparently it wasn't loaded correctly or something
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DFWSkylink
Austin can be really fun...

You HAVE to go to Dexter's. It's one of my favorite places and from there you can walk down and get some ice cream and see the Lake, etc (or hop in your car and head to a nearby bar for a cocktail)
I've stayed at the Westin downtown a few times and they usually have decent weekend rates. The only drawback is having to pay for parking.
I also like the fourpoints (ex Sheraton) on I Drive. Moderate hotel but not a bad location for getting downtown, Disney or the convention center. Only problem I had is having to get SPG to credit my stay on a AAA rate because apparently it wasn't loaded correctly or something
When are you taking me to Dexter's :P

And Cheap remember the Bohemian is not a Westin anymore.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 7:07 pm

Orlando?

I recommend going during Orlando Disney Gay Days. Usually in June / July?

Otherwise, FLL can provide entertainment. If you're going to FLL don't ever stay in a resort hotel. If all the gay guest houses are booked, its not worth going.

The last time I went I stayed at the Marriot , awful vacation. In contrast, my friends who stayed at the Pineapple, had a wonderful time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.