Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Going to D.C. for Inaguration - looking for suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis

Hi All,

Some friends and I will be heading to D.C. for inauguration Monday and Tuesday night & staying near Dupont.

I was hoping that someone could provide some suggestions on places for dinner as well as some after dinner fun. We are pretty diverse in our tastes and enjoy a casual cocktail or dancing. I'm really just tying to get a lay of the land. The HRC Ball is a bit out of our price range.

We are all in are early 30's, and mix of gay men and lesbians. I have not been to D.C. in years, so any help locals, or those familiar with D.C., can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by BosTravel; Dec 31, 2008 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Plat, Fairmont, UA GS/1K, Amex Platinum
Not far from Dupont is the Hudson Restaurant on M Street. Been there and liked it a lot because it's part restaurant and part bar and lounge.

http://www.hudson-dc.com/

I also like the Westend Bistro by Eric Ripert. Nice place with great food and good atmosphere.

http://www.westendbistrodc.com/
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Urbana www.urbanadc.com
Pesce www.pescebistro.com
Georgia Browns www.gbrowns.com [amazing brunch go on an empty stomach]
komi www.komirestaurant.com [more of a special occasion restaurant]
GrillFish www.grillfishdc.com
Al Tiramisu www.altiramisu.com

Then there are places like, you need to go in a bind

The Front Page www.frontpagerestaurant.com [was fun, now mediocre]
Afterwords cafe www.kramers.com
Annie's Paramount [a hoot after the bars close and the drunks roll in]
Best Hunan www.ilovebesthunan.com
THe diner on 18 www.trystdc.com/diner/ [open 24 hours]

Report back on which restaurant(s) you visited.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Restaurants (there are loads of good ones these days but we (couple - 30 & 41) like the following):
- Rasika
- Oyamel
- Rosa Mexicana (Pomegranate margaritas & made-to-order guacamole)
- Proof
- The Source
All of these are in Penn Quarter, 2 stops on red line from Dupont Circle. Not 'gay' restaurants but great food.

Bars / Clubs:
- Trying to think of somewhere lesbian-friendly (or girl-friendly for that manner). Cobalt is a bar / dance-bar that has been renovated and is sort of making a comeback (cute bartenders, cheesy gay music) - the problem is, they haven't been kind to female visitors in the past (no heels).
- Nellie's - great new gay sports bar, pretty much the place to be. TV's, sports themed barmen and no doubt lesbian-friendly.
- Town - pretty much the only 'club' in DC. Cute, shirtless crowd upstairs with circuit-style music, drag shows & Top 40 stuff downstairs. Can be a really fun night. Normally just Fridays & Saturdays but they ARE opening on the Tues night (http://www.towndc.com/)
- Halo - 2 floors, martini bar in Logan Circle.

PM me if you want more specifics!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
One of the best gay-friendly (actually, mostly gay) restaurants in DC with fantastic modern Thai cuisine and great martinis is:

Rice Restaurant

1608 14th St NW
(between Corcoran St & Q St NW)
www.simplyhomedc.com/Welcome.html

You won't be disappointed and it's within walking distance of the bars.

Another restaurant with great burgers, pizza, and sandwiches (think comfort food) is:

Stoney's Bar and Grill

1433 P Street NW
next door to Halo
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stoneys-bar-...ill-washington

And the best Mexican restaurant (great food & very reasonably priced) in the Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan area is:

Lauriol Plaza
1835 18th St NW
www.lauriolplaza.com

You won't go wrong with any of the above choices that surprisingly no one else has mentioned. But then again I have lived in the Logan Circle neighborhood for 22 years!

Last edited by DCBob; Jan 4, 2009 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
And the best Mexican restaurant (great food & very reasonably priced) in the Dupont Circle/Adams Morgan area is:

Lauriol Plaza
1835 18th St NW
www.lauriolplaza.com
Respectfully disagree! Alero (on Connecticut in Dupont) is loads better - better margaritas, better core menu items than Lauriol. Lauriol's margaritas are too sweet and their fajitas aren't great, imo. You also have to compete for tables with all the Virginia & Maryland folk who come in because of the parking!

Casa Oaxaca is also a better Mexican option, although more expensive. (www.oaxacaindc.com)
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by seanp7
Respectfully disagree! Alero (on Connecticut in Dupont) is loads better - better margaritas, better core menu items than Lauriol. Lauriol's margaritas are too sweet and their fajitas aren't great, imo. You also have to compete for tables with all the Virginia & Maryland folk who come in because of the parking!

Casa Oaxaca is also a better Mexican option, although more expensive. (www.oaxacaindc.com)
I will give your two recommended restaurants a try, but the margaritas at Lauriol Plaza are very potent and contain just the right amount of triple sec. Both frozen and on the rocks are fantastic. But I suppose different strokes for different folks. I don't eat fajitas so can't comment on those. I stick to the Mexican combo plates - prefer enchiladas, burritos, tacos, and tamales.

I will add that pizza lovers should try:

Matchbox
713 H Street NW (Chinatown)
www.matchboxdc.com/
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I have forwarded your suggestions on to my friends (the same ones who give me grief for being on FT ) and we are making our final decisions.

I'll let everyone know where we end up. Thanks again!!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by DCBob
I will add that pizza lovers should try:

Matchbox
713 H Street NW (Chinatown)
www.matchboxdc.com/
second this - but not for the pizza, but for the mini-burgers and onion straws... yum....
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM - 2010, 2011, 2012, SWA RR, Marriott, Hilton
Staying Home

I live in Old Town Alexandria and going to avoid DC, the Metro, and the Mall that day. Too many crowds, lines, and tourists and security. I'll watch on TV and enjoy a nice glass of wine. Anyone at DCA that day is welcome to come to old town for some wine or go out to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.