Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott Utah or not?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Boycott Utah or not?

My conundrum- was disgusted at the LDS church's support for prop. 8. But I'm also way into Utah snow, so what would be the most appropriate way of spending my money in SLC? Or shall I go elsewhere?

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:24 am

Park City

How about spending a few dollars in Park City? You know...Utah's "Gomorrah"...today we have snow so the ski resorts should be open.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Boycott Utah.. go to Colorado or Wyoming (preferably CO as it is now a much gay friendlier state) and send a copy of the receipts for all purchases to the Utah Tourism Board and the LDS Church with a nice letter showing them that you have taken your pink and lavender dollars someplace else that does not actively go out and destroy the already-given right to love and be loved. Perhaps if enough people did that, it would attract some attention. Maybe even a newspaper would get involved and it would start to hurt local hate-mongers' pocketbooks.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:19 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I wish I could boycott Utah but.... Sundance film festival?? I have to go every year. The food, the drinks, and the swags. Plus my job would be on the line if I don't show up.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
I wish I could boycott Utah but.... Sundance film festival?? I have to go every year. The food, the drinks, and the swags. Plus my job would be on the line if I don't show up.
How ironic that Utah holds this event!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, *wood Plat
I only go for the SWAG and the parties...yeah Utah....
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd never vacation there, But I'm a hypocrite since I'll be flying thru SLC in Feb to save about $300........ But I won't spend any money at the airport.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel bad -- booked a nonrefundable hotel in Park City shortly before election day, for a ski trip in March.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
On the other hand, if you boycott a state, you boycott gay businesses and employees. Perhaps a better way to help would be to steer your dollars towards gay-friendly hotels, restaurants, and other businesses. Try Purple Roofs or another gay guide to book a gay B&B. Maybe call a gay hotline for restaurant recommendations. I understand there is quite a brave gay community in Salt Lake City. Any other suggestions along these lines?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by bayotter
I understand there is quite a brave gay community in Salt Lake City.
The gay pride parade here in Salt Lake is the second largest parade in the state. There is quite a large gay population here.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Rewards_Guy
The gay pride parade here in Salt Lake is the second largest parade in the state. There is quite a large gay population here.
I don't think a boycott of SLC would be noticed. On the other hand, having been there, a bigger gay presence of visitors in hotels, restaurants, bars and even wandering around things Mormon, is going to have a larger effect. Support the active and friendly gay community there.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAdavantage, Hyatt, Mileage Plan, Bonvoy
yes boycott all things Utah. I hope Sundance 2009 feels the pinch of missing gay dollars.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:40 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
It is my job to be at Sundance ( Jan 2009). I couldn't boycott Utah as I would like. However, there is a LONG list of Mormon's owned business to avoid.
I am sure they don't care much since they probably don't want money from "sinners".
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by ArtfullyUrs
I'm going for the first time, but just for the closing weekend, Jan. 24-25. Need to get press passes. Perhaps we could meet up...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I don't think a boycott is the most effective response to what has happened. As a Californian, I am very angry about money coming from outside the state to help determine events that will never affect the people that don't live here.

Having said that, a boycott affects a lot of people who were not in favor of Prop. 8. Spending money in Wyoming or elsewhere is not the answer - those people could quite likely also vote for Prop. 8 or support anti-gay measures given the opportunity and the organizational efforts on their behalf. And here in Los Angeles, there has been quite a backlash against the El Coyote Restaurant because the manager gave $100 to the Yes On 8 Campaign. The restaurant has always had a "gay Thursday" night, and now that business is down 40% because of boycotting the restaurant, a lot of gay employees have their hours (and wages/tips) cut.

I think you have to take the fight directly to those who would take away our rights.
  • Go after the Mormons more directly than a boycott of Utah.
  • Seek information about what can be done about their tax-exempt status if they choose to engage in political activity like this.
  • Publicize the names of those individuals, groups, and companies that contributed (this is public information).
  • Support our gay brothers and sisters in Utah and other states.
  • Contact a gay/lesbian group in Salt Lake City to see what they suggest.
  • Contact Sundance Film Festival organizers to see if they know of any Constructive protesting that can be done during the festival.
  • Find a way to ask people there how they would feel if a bunch of Californians financed a political campaign that only concerned the rights of Utahans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.