Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

New Job in LA, West Hollywood?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Job in LA, West Hollywood?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Question New Job in LA, West Hollywood?

Hey guys,

Not sure if this belongs here but I thought it would be good to ask the folks on this board. I'm from SF, but in upstate NY right now finishing school to graduate in May. I've been recently blessed with an opportunity in El Segundo with the wonderful firm I did an internship for.. (So psyched, I can't wait) I know it might be too early but I'm in need of some advice on moving to LA.

I feel like all the action is in West Hollywood (I enjoy going out) but obviously living there comes with a high price tag. At this point, I have no idea how much travel I'll be doing; I might be doing a Mon-Thu out of town thing for 6+ months or I might be commuting to the home office in El Segundo every day (I realize this might pose a problem with driving). I would hate to have to take a cab or drive to go out but then again, I might be able to compromise... I think hearing from the veterans in LA would help, so any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

And once again, I am totally excited!
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver
Welcome to LA

Hey Sean,
Welcome to LA! Sounds like you've still got a lot of unpredictability going on with the job, but don't worry...you'll find the right spot here in LA. I'm a 28 y/o gay guy here in town, so that's where my perspective is coming from.

Here are some thoughts -

LA is gay all over the place - all the different regions have their own scenes...with West Hollywood (WeHo) being the mega-gay zone.

If you like to hit the typical gay scene hard (going on Fri/Sat nights, homo brunch on Sunday) and don't like to drive, then you need to be in West Hollywood

If you like the scene but don't need to be in it all the time, but want to be in some place quasi-gay and has it's own scene that is somewhat closer to work, I'd go for Venice or Santa Monica (although in traffic it can take you just as much time to get from SaMo to El Segundo as it would WeHo).

Honestly, WeHo to El Segundo isn't too bad of a commute...you'll stay off the freeways mostly and take surface streets...it's a straight shot up and down La Cienega. I think you'd be safe starting out here in WeHo - get a 6 month/1 yr lease, explore the town and see what you like. Rent in WeHo isn't going to be that much more than other places in LA that are desirable to live (the West side of Los Angeles).

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions, or PM me if you like.

-Chaz
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:57 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
LA

Chaz had many good points about LA... I am 23 years old native New Yorker. I moved to LA for two years for work.
I have to say that moving from Manhattan to LA was quite difficult. Things are not the same.

I work in entertainment so it was easy for me to adapt. I lived in Larchmont which is very close to WeHo... The gay scene there is , of course, much better than Ithaca,NY so I think you will love it. I prefer NYC gay scene over WeHo anyday...

good luck on your move...
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
OK-so here are three newish Gay FT'ers that have not come to one of our dinners!
I guess it is time to host another one

While LA has a gay presence in almost every section and burb the main habs are silverlake/los Feliz and WeHo.

There are a few scattered bars here and there(one left in Pasadena and one left in Santa Monica )if you want to see and be seen you will want to hang out in either of those two places.

I am glad not to live in a gayberhood-but I do visit often.

PS-I was amazed how nice the part of El Segundo I visited one time was.
And Culver City has some amazing houses also.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:12 pm
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Dinner

Tell me when the next dinner is and I will be there. Can we do weekend??
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks guys for your posts! Yeah, I am totally stoked to move back to California. Given there is a good chance I'll travel out of LA weekly, I guess I'm a little hesitant to do WeHo due to the higher cost (maybe not? is this really not much difference?) to support myself there... I feel like I'm afraid to commit to something pricey since I might not be able to stay there much? If i can get a decent place at a decent price, then I would most definitely be up for living in WeHo.

I do have 2 more questions:

- Are there any specific websites/sources that you would recommend in apartment search?
- I am planning a trip out to LA in mid march during my spring break to look around potential options. I wonder if this will be a good timing, if I want to get settled/moved in at the end of May next year...

thanks again guys!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I live in Culver City and I love it here. I'm close to West Hollywood, LAX and the beach! The only drag is that it takes me a little longer to get to Silverlake when I'm in that mood, but it's not so bad that I'd consider moving back there.

It's definitely time for another min-Do in LA! Any suggestions?
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
- Are there any specific websites/sources that you would recommend in apartment search?
- I am planning a trip out to LA in mid march during my spring break to look around potential options. I wonder if this will be a good timing, if I want to get settled/moved in at the end of May next year...

thanks again guys![/QUOTE]

Hi Sean,
Congrats! LA takes time to fall in love with... I didn't like it at first, but I miss LA a lot whenever I travel. I live in Hollywood area and I love it! Easy access to every part of town. I go to weho once in a while, it gets old. To mix it up, I go to silverlake or los feliz area, Akbar, MJs, etc..
So I would suggest considering hollywood, lots of vacant apts right now.
-Craigslist is a good site to look for places so is www.westsiderentals.com (although you need to pay a fee for this one).

-Yeah give yourself a few days in LA to look for a place, it's always hard to look for something online coz pics don't do justice. Just drive to an area you like and look around for a rental sign.

Good luck!

P.S: I don't like driving too but Hlwd is pretty central and close to everything. And I am 28 if that matters haha.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Numbers is back running under a new owner.S-W they are running a two fer,Thursday is 1/2 price bar menu and drink specials.I am on good terms with the new owners.

We had a good time at the Flying Leap in Silverlake-and Wed. at MJ's is a blast.

Marks has specials M-T,I like the new owners and the staff-it is a little bit removed for bar hopping afterwards.

Let me know-happy to organize something.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:47 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Welcome!
So I would go with what kind of lifestyle you want and factor in commute time for quality of life. I live in WeHo and love it since it's central, can walk to everything I want to go to and close to everything else I need in LA.....

I found my apt on craigslist

Finally, the lifecycle of the LA gay is:
WeHo
Silverlake
Palms Spring
Hollywood Forever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.