Wiki Posts
Search

Cayman Islands, anyone???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Cayman Islands, anyone???

Yecats, now R may be sent to the Cayman Islands. With one of the best beaches in the world and great suba-ing, the place has me salivating as I anticipate visiting him there. THEN I grabbed the following from Wikipedia: <snip> Gay and lesbian tourists have been known to suffer discrimination and harassment. A gay tourist from Massachusetts was detained by the Royal Cayman Islands Police for kissing his partner in public in May 2008, after a group of nightclubbers made a complaint. He was not formally arrested, or charged with any offence.[5] Cruise ships carrying gay and lesbian tourists were twice turned away by the government,[6] and cruise ships known to be carrying gay and lesbian tourists are aggressively protested, and sometimes threatened, by the local natives.[7]
So, anyone care to relate recent, authentic experience?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:28 am

I was only there for the day on an Atlantis cruise, but across from the street from the port were a few fairly quiet protesters holding signs. On the port side were a bunch of pro-gay locals welcoming us. I also went on a boat/snorkeling trip (and did not sign up through Atlantis). No problems.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
It's a very conservative, religous country and their perspective is colored by that. The power of the dollar/euro/peso is changing the perspectives of some of those involved, but the country is basically closed on Sunday from that strength of religon (at least the last time I was there). If you have been in the South, then it's likely similar. Growing up in NC and SC, it didn't seem all that different to me, and there's plenty of a "live and let live but I don't want to know about it" attitude, versus the outright issues that seem to continue to plague Jamaica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.