Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay DC ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:44 pm

Annies

Don't forget dinner at Annies on 17th St. For 60 years a Washington institution and recently renovated. One of the gayest eateries in the nation and the food is consistently consistent.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
bebar

I visit DC regularly, I am planning to be there on business in August. One of the best places I've been too is bebar. http://www.bebardc.com It's a great place - sort of neighborhood bar meets urban lounge. It's on 9th street near the convention center.

Second the recommendation about Kimpton Hotels. I've been at Hotel Rouge. Great location - a just a few blocks away from Dupont. Haven't stayed at any of the others, although may have to do that next month.

Have fun in DC!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by ronp101
I visit DC regularly, I am planning to be there on business in August. One of the best places I've been too is bebar. http://www.bebardc.com It's a great place - sort of neighborhood bar meets urban lounge. It's on 9th street near the convention center.

Second the recommendation about Kimpton Hotels. I've been at Hotel Rouge. Great location - a just a few blocks away from Dupont. Haven't stayed at any of the others, although may have to do that next month.

Have fun in DC!
Bebar and Hotel Rouge are a couple of my favorites in DC also. During happy hour at Hotel Rouge they offer free red wine and Red Stripe beer in keeping with the red theme. On Sunday mornings they have Bloody Marys and cold pizza.

I like Bebar a lot. The decor sometimes makes me laugh. I have this idea that the owners found a Design Within Reach catalog and threw darts at it while blindfolded to choose the furniture.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
As someone who has lived in DC for 16 years, I can say that there are *plenty* of gay things to do. It's one of the few towns that I know where new bars/clubs have actually opened in the last few years.

I think inlogan gave a pretty good overview of the basics (post #13). I think you'll just need to discover what you like or don't like. Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to be the slowest days in the bars.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Results (@16th and U Sts NW) is a great gym and it's one of the gayest I've ever been to, especially during peak times.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
Halo and Bebar

This has been a great thread. I'll be in DC for a few days in mid-August. I'm staying at the Westin on Mass. Ave near the Phillips. Though I know the Dupont Circle area pretty well, Logan Circle not so much. Is the area between the Mt Vernon Metro, Bebar, and Halo walkable and relatively safe? DC is the only city in the world where I've ever been mugged, so I'm just a little concerned.

Last edited by KenCT; Jul 9, 2008 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KenCT
This has been a great thread. I'll be in DC for a few days in mid-August. I'm staying at the Westin on Mass. Ave near the Phillips. Though I know the Dupont Circle area pretty well, Logan Circle not so much. Is the area between the Mt Vernon Metro, Bebar, and Halo walkable and relatively safe? DC is the only city in the world where I've ever been mugged, so I'm just a little concerned.
You have to be the most concerned around Be Bar, but it's not too bad. It's still in a fairly up and coming area. If you're going there, just take a cab if you're not familiar with the area. Halo on the other hand is in a very built up area and you can walk from your hotel there. It's right across the street from the Whole Foods on P Street. The Mt. Vernon Square metro is out of your way if you're going to Halo. If you take Metro to go to Be Bar, it's only 2.5 blocks from the station and you're walking most of it alongside the new convention center. Don't forget about Nellie's! It's probably my fav bar in the city now because of their great roof deck. It gets very crowded on weekend nights.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Bebar and Hotel Rouge are a couple of my favorites in DC also. During happy hour at Hotel Rouge they offer free red wine and Red Stripe beer in keeping with the red theme. On Sunday mornings they have Bloody Marys and cold pizza.

I like Bebar a lot. The decor sometimes makes me laugh. I have this idea that the owners found a Design Within Reach catalog and threw darts at it while blindfolded to choose the furniture.
Loved the weekend Bloody Marys and cold pizza. Did that once!

bebar decor is electic but it's very nice and comfortable. I liked how they mixed everything up and somehow it works!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by KenCT
Hotel Rouge is about a block and half away from Logan Circle. There is a great restaurant there that I have gone to many times - Logan Tavern.

I have not been mugged ever (sorry for your experience) - and I have felt OK to walk around in DC - but taking a cab is easy and not terribly expensive. I try to stay in the downtown area, closer to Dupont and Logan Circle. If you stay centrally located, cabs can be inexpensive no matter where you are going. Hope that helps. DC is a great city - I have lots of friends and family in the area so I always love going there!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by premiumflyer
Thanks for the reply and good tips to start. Since I will be there 3-4 days per week, I was just looking for some good places to eat, coffee, meet people, etc...

Is there a more gay-friendly area of town? Any Gym and Tennis Club suggestions?

Also, the office was thinking of putting me up at the National Harbour on Waterfront, any comments? Or should I stick to the Westin Grand.

Proximity to the gay area is high on my list... just want it to be convenient.

Txs,

-PK
If you're looking for some tennis, check out our gay tennis league - http://www.capital-tennis.org. We play primarily at Hains Point and Rock Creek in the summer.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by premiumflyer
Any Gym and Tennis Club suggestions
Didn't George Stephanopolis go to a gym on Dupont Circle when he lived there? If the place is still there I imagine it might be a good one.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Chandra Levy went to that gym before she vanished, didn't she? Washington Sports Club on Connecticut (or was it NH Ave?) just off Dupont. Same chain as NYSC in New York and BSC in Boston. I found the NY and Boston clubs decent but nothing to write home about.

Has Equinox come to DC yet?

What are the best gyms with a gay following these days?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Didn't George Stephanopolis go to a gym on Dupont Circle when he lived there? If the place is still there I imagine it might be a good one.
The Sports Club LA at the Ritz Carlton is still there. But it's showing wear and tear these days. Best gay gym nowadays is probably Results near 16th and U.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Has Equinox come to DC yet?
There's one out in Tysons Corner (VA), about a 25 minute drive. I'm looking for a new gym potentially closer to work than home, are those worth a visit? Fancy web site.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:17 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Haven't been to any in DC, obviously, but the ones in NY are really great. They are very expensive by Atlanta standards. But they are well-run, nicely kitted out, and, above all, clean.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:22 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
A few (hundred) years ago, some gay FTers got together every Thursday night, I think. Or was that a Community Forum (read straight) get-together??

At any rate, I remember being in DC for work when I lived in California and going out with some guys to Cobalt. Then there was free beer somewhere if you took your shirt off. But they all drank, I don't drink and they were pretty buff and I was not. So we parted ways. I think I met them for dinner another Thursday.

Does anybody else remember this weekly event? Maybe it was Richlon's?

All that aside, I have never been to a city, large or small that was boring. One would think FTers were more resourceful than that!

Keep it simple: free museums on the Mall by day (with an afternoon shopping trip to Georgetown one day) and P street gayborhood for casual dining and bar hopping. You'll have fun!

For your lazy days try some stuff from this article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.