Search

Tel Aviv -late April/May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Priority Club
Tel Aviv -late April/May

Hi

I'm still researching my RTW trip. Is Tel Aviv worth 2/4 days of my time? Does anybody have any recent experience?

Will it be busy late April 07 (April 16th onwards). Are the major hotels modern and smart or worn and shabby. Reports from the Hilton are mixed. Prices seem on the high side, is this an expensive time of year? Park Plaza seems best value. Is it good/bad?

Oh, what days of the week are the most fun?

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
I asked my wife who travels to Tel Aviv on business. She says the hotels are nice and modern and typically right on the beach. Overall it's nicer than you would expect and she thinks a stopover would be worthwhile. She particularly recomends a visit to Jerusalem.

There are a lot of holidays in April.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alter ego
Hi

I'm still researching my RTW trip. Is Tel Aviv worth 2/4 days of my time? Does anybody have any recent experience?

Will it be busy late April 07 (April 16th onwards). Are the major hotels modern and smart or worn and shabby. Reports from the Hilton are mixed. Prices seem on the high side, is this an expensive time of year? Park Plaza seems best value. Is it good/bad?

Oh, what days of the week are the most fun?

Thanks
Tel Aviv was very enjoyable - like a city that never sleeps. It has a good mix of modern comfort and tourist sites. Your enjoyment will be maximized if you have a local guide which I had with a group of FTers because the locals know where to go and show you stuff that tourists would miss. If you don't speak or read Hebrew, not all places have English translation or equivalent.

I liked the Sheraton Tower if you can get a Club floor room. The food in the Club is very good. And there are numerous threads on this already - if you are into night clubs, you won't be disappointed in Tel Aviv. I'd say take time to talk to locals and you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

Short answer: No.... not in Tel Aviv, anyway. I would spend my four days in Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is *the* start of the three major religions -- right there in the Old City --

The Holy Sepulchre -- where the last five stations of the Cross happened -- crucifixtion, where his body body was washed, emtombed and where he was resurrected.

The Gold Dome of the Rock -- where Abraham is said to have ascended to Heaven. If you are not a Muslim, you cannot get near the Gold Dome.

The Western Wall -- the remaining outer wall of an ancient Jewish temple that was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.

... and it's all right there.

David
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just make sure that they don't stamp your passport as they did mine at the immigration to ensure future visits to such fun places as Beirut. Also I have never had a such a degree of questioning by three immigration officials who were very interested about the purpose of my trip. This questioning took about an hour.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello again OP,

I just realized you posted in the GLBT forum.... so maybe my answer will change depending on your outcome.

There's many gay bars and saunas in TA. Them Israeli boys are hot, hot hot.

There's only gay bar in Jerusalem -- Shushan. No saunas that I'm aware of... maybe some cruisy gyms...

If you want to PM I can give you more details.

David
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to add TLV to my travel plans as advise here and elsewhere seems very positive.

I'll have less than one week to spend there so am still interested in the best ( busiest ) nights. I guess this will be Friday and Saturday, would this be correct?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
Also I have never had a such a degree of questioning by three immigration officials who were very interested about the purpose of my trip. This questioning took about an hour.
I will be a pleasure to visit a country that is serious about the security of its citizens and guests. There would be no complaints about this from me.

The UK is very poor IMO.

Anyway back on topic!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:16 pm
BCH

If I may make a correction: Muslims believe that it is Muhammed who ascended to heaven from the place on which the Dome of the Rock now stands, not Abraham. Abraham, it is believed, on that very spot bound his son Isaac in preparation for the would-be sacrifice that was the test of his faith. In biblical days, the Temple also stood on that place.

Either way, the city of Jerusalem is beautiful and should be seen at least once in one's life.

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello OP,

Short answer: No.... not in Tel Aviv, anyway. I would spend my four days in Jerusalem.

Jerusalem is *the* start of the three major religions -- right there in the Old City --

The Holy Sepulchre -- where the last five stations of the Cross happened -- crucifixtion, where his body body was washed, emtombed and where he was resurrected.

The Gold Dome of the Rock -- where Abraham is said to have ascended to Heaven. If you are not a Muslim, you cannot get near the Gold Dome.

The Western Wall -- the remaining outer wall of an ancient Jewish temple that was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.

... and it's all right there.

David
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:22 pm
BCH

Smile

Tel Aviv is VERY VERY gay-friendly. You can pick up very hot soldiers almost anywhere you go (but especially at the hot gathering places, such as TLV club or Carpe Diem bar).

And if you want to stay at a cool hotel, then try the Sea Hotel (sometimes also called Sea Executive Suites, I believe). It is designed by the same people who designed the W Hotels, and it is one block from the Mediterranean Sea, and is adjacent to the BEST dairy cafe in the whole world.

I worked in Jerusalem for 6 months and spent my weekends in Tel Aviv, so if you need any suggestions on places to visit, dine, drink, or play, then feel free to PM me. ^

You are going to have a terrific time - I'm envious!!!

BCH
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
TLV is great!!! - will be going back 3rd May.

A colleague who recently went asked me for a few recommendations.
Here's what I sent him (cut & paste from other places on the web):

A couple of ideas to keep you busy during your trip to Israel :-)

Places to eat:

MESSA - definitely go here - very trendy!
19 Haarbaah St.
Tel Aviv
Tel: 3 6856859
Israel's winner of a 2005 Hot List award from Condé Nast Traveler. Housed in a new commercial tower, this white-on-white exercise in minimalism finds diners eating on long, lean walnut tables that are set upon floors of creamy white Turkish marble and capped by oversized white lamps. At the center of the room is a massive communal table, and all around, billowing white curtains hide sofa-like seating for more intimate repasts. Young chef Aviv Moshe delivers fancy takes on the Kurdish-Iraqi favorites of his youth: ravioli stuffed with shrimp, mascarpone, and figs; foie gras on savory waffles with bitter chocolate sauce. There's also a hip bar, done up in black with ink-colored marble floors.

Benny HaDayag - great for lunch
In Tel Aviv Port. Tel (03) 544-0518
Benny the Fisherman may have shifted his venue from Jaffa to Tel Aviv Mediterranean. Take a table indoors or at water's edge (if the aromas of the sea are not overly "ripe" when you visit), and start off with the generous meze that makes its way automatically to the table. Best offerings in the meze are Moroccan style pickled lemons, a chunky offering of eggplant in tchina, the rich and slightly hot Turkish salad. Also tempting are fried, breaded strips of eggplant enhanced with plenty of fresh lemon juice, a salad of cherry tomatoes with chives, just salty enough matjas herring, and a lightly hot carrot salad.
As main courses don't expect anything innovative but do anticipate good and fresh fried or grilled fish and seafood dishes. Especially good are the perfectly cooked jumbo shrimps (truly jumbo!) in butter, white wine and garlic; the deep fried calamari rings and, when available, the whole baby grouper that is quite enough for two.

Gilly's - good for dinner
Tel Aviv Port. Tel 03 6057777
For more than fifteen years, "Gilly's" was one of Jerusalem's best known culinary landmarks. Now closed in Jerusalem but resettled very nicely indeed in the old Tel Aviv port, the reborn Gilly's is a far larger retaurant with a far broader menu. After entering via a small door and traversing the long bar that takes up much of the narrow entranceway one comes to a spacious dining area in which a barn-like ceiling with arched beams and a large window offers an unobstructed view of the sea. Several mirrors on the walls, the old fashioned bare-bulb lighting fixtures, one or two posters on the wall and cute bricabrac on the window ledge come together in ways that are very attractive.

Among good options for starting courses are the fish soup that has a welcome touch of piquancy to add to its rich flavors, the "tartaron" of finely chopped perfectly aged raw beef fillet and the creamy-smooth and rich terrine of goose liver with just the right hints of juniper berries and Cognac. Equally tempting are the flaky pastry concoction that is filled with spinach and Bulgarian cheese with a good Roquefort cheese sauce. As main courses, keep in mind that Gilly's true specialty is aged beef so give serious consideration to the fine steaks (the entrecote is splendiferous). If fish or seafood beckon good choices will be the grilled shrimps, or the fillets of young sea bream that are pan fried and served with a chunky, lightly hot tomato sauce. Desserts are acceptable but not special

The service is warm and responsive, the wine list is acceptable and no one will object if you bring your own special bottle to dinner. This is not the restaurant for those seeking wildly creative or innovative cuisine, but it is definitely a place to visit for meat lovers and others who are in search of a comfortable atmosphere with a bustling crowd of people who have come to enjoy well prepared, generous portions, largely of meat but with other options as well. Prices are moderate - expensive

Stefan Braun - I very much like this place (go for dinner) - if not cold, ask for a table outside
Rehov Allenby 99, Tel Aviv Tel. 03 5604725 (hidden away through an alley)
Set in a 1930s building, with old Arabesque tiles, heavy wood beams, roughly plastered walls and even a charming garden, this ultimately informal, basically meat oriented Mediterranean restaurant is currently one of the "in" places about Tel Aviv's self-proclaimed cognoscenti. Consider opening with the charira soup, a Moroccan dish based on lamb stock that is enriched with just the right amount of tomato puree and onion. With small cubes of lamb, a few lentals, strands of thin pasta and seasoned with tumeric, coriander, parsley and just the right amount of piquant charissa sauce, the soup is rewarding in its country-style flavors and textures. Grilled lamb and other meats are the specialties. Consider the mixed grill of baby lamb chops, skewers of entrecote steak, lamb kebabs containing plenty of pine nuts and onion and seasoned with cumin, skewers of mullard breast. The chips (French fried potatoes) make a good accompaniment. Open Sunday - Thursday from 12:00 - 03:00. Evening reservations suggested.

Max Brenner Chocolate Bar - amazing deserts (if u like chocolate)
45 Rotschild Blvd.
Tel: 03-5604570
Stylish bar café, a paradise for chocolate lovers offers the whole experience from chocolate drinks to various chocolate dishes all made of the quality chocolate of Max Brenner - the famous bold man who makes the best chocolate in Israel.

If you want to go somewhere else near Tel Aviv - head to Herzilya Port (20 mins by cab) - loads of great restaurants there too.

There are literally hundreds of other places too, from sushi to everything!

Places to play: :-))
CARPE DIEM
17 Montefiore
Tel Aviv
Tel: 3 560 2006
Billed as a lounge-bar with a mixed male-female clientele, Carpe Diem is actually Tel Aviv's leading gay hangout. While the inside bar is always packed, the real action takes place out back in the open air, where friends and couples hold court on oversized daybeds.

Evita
31 Yavne St., 03/5669559
Bar owned by a trio of true Tel Aviv hotties where the party lasts well past midnight.

Other things to do:

Old City of Jaffa - head south along of the beach 30 minute walk

Jersusalem - 60 minutes drive away - you could spend a day or a week here. Try and see:
- wander through the Old City and see the famous Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Armenian sites
- Holocaust Museum

Day trip to Masada and Dead Sea
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
HAHAHAHAH this is a GAY forum. Tel Aviv is the place to be.

In Tel Aviv the best gay bar to go to is Evita. Carpe Diem is in turmoil right now. A lesbian bar called Minerva is gay on tuesdays. On sundays Shoshana Johnson is a good bar in the afternoon/early evening.

Depending on what you are into for clubs, the PAG is generally considered the best party on thursday nights at Cafe Barzilay (but it may have moved). Also on thursday and some fridays at a place called Teatron is POPring and BigBoys depending on the night. you can look at www.atraf.co.il to look at pics from various parties....

My top 3 recommendations for food are CoffeeBar, HaMitbachon and Bugsy.

For hotels it depends what you want, I generally don't need to stay at hotels in Tel Aviv, but if I do, I liked the Cinema Hotel. Its in Dizengoff square and much more Tel Avivian than the beach hotels.

During the day, you should certainly take a trip to Jerusalem to see all the stuff that everyone is killing each other over.

But Tel Aviv is the best city in the world (especially if you're gay), so you should certainly stop there. The airport is great as well
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:03 am

I second entropys recommendation on "HaMitbachon" (translates to a very small kitchen) - a small heaven inside the busy Carmel market.

Other restaurants I like in Tel Aviv are -

The restaurant of the chinese grecory store (afaik it does not have a real name) - on HaKovshim st, on the other side of the carmel market - not far from the InterContinental hotel. - great for chinese and dim-sum.

Cafe Meir - on King George st - opposite the Meir garden.

Odeon - on Haarbaa st. - they have a great dish on gnocchy with chicken liver.

Pastis - on Rotchild blvd - for their seafood.

Agvania (tomato) pizza - several locations - for their super-thin slices of pizza.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
ah yes, the chinese grocery store, that place is quite tasty.

If you're into shopping you should hit the Avgania on Sheinkin st. and eat as you walk. There is a fantastic very Tel Avivi restaurant called Orna v'Ela on Sheinkin. Highly Recommended.

Pastis is wonderful.

You will find that there are far too many restaurants to try and far too few meals with which to try them. This is making me hungry for some couscous basar from mitbachon.,,,
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by alter ego
I will be a pleasure to visit a country that is serious about the security of its citizens and guests. There would be no complaints about this from me.
Please. Although this is not the Travel & Safety forum, I have really hard time believing that Israelis are better off if this Finn who happened to visit Beirut is given 'hard" time at the immigration.

Last edited by holtju2; Feb 25, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.