Search

Tampa Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question Tampa Recommendations

I'm thinking about a trip to Tampa to recharge my batteries.

I plan to layout by the pool/or at a beach, shop, dine-out and sight-see.

I'm wondering if anyone can make any recommendations for:
Restaurants
Bars/Clubs (latin a plus)
Hotels in a happening area (hilton or starwood)
Beach to hangout on
anything else cool or fun to check out

Thanks.

Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Why in world would you choose Tampa if you do not have to? I grew up there and can tell you it is devoid of any level of sophistication. Every beach community is packed with the cheapest of cheap pedestrian tourists. There are no major luxury brand hotels, worthwhile spas and the smelly red tide is still present (so says my mom who walks the beach each morning). If you are interested in connecting with the gay community, you will find them miles away (about 45-60min) in Tampa hiding in tacky gay bars with no windows.

Why not Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? So much more fun and worldly.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cyber1k

WOW! Well thanks for glowing recommendation sugar!

Personally, Miami is WAY overrated, segregated & racist (however that's whole different thread topic). I like visiting South Beach/Miami Beach, but I find Miami very dangerous. I rarely spend any time in Ft. Lauderdale proper as I usually go from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Miami Beach.

From what I've seen in Ft. Lauderdale, it felt very old and cheesy.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:33 am

While not Hilton or SPG, we always stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. The rooms are very comfortable, especially on the Regency Club level.

I'm not sure if it continues, but we use to always get it for $65 / nt on Priceline. Plus Hyatt provides full elite benefits even on PL rates.

Photos from March 03

There is a small wildlife estuary right behind the hotel. You can see birds, crabs, frogs, and sometimes horseshoe crabs along the pathway.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I had a business trip to Clearwater Beach last fall and stayed at the Hilton right there on the beach. I had a great time, since I could go for a quick swim in the gulf in the morning before my meetings, and drive in to Tampa in the evenings for dinner and to hang out at the gay coffee house and bookstore. Of course, I'm not very interested in bars, and certainly Clearwater was very touristy.

I'm told there's a gay beach somewhere not too far from Clearwater.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
and to hang out at the gay coffee house and bookstore.
The coffeehouse in hyde park is no more. It closed earlier this year!! Everyone was going to Starbucks anyway (better coffee)...and much nicer management.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cyber1k
Your pretentious attitude must fit right in on South Beach, huh??
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Navy]I'm thinking about a trip to Tampa to recharge my batteries.
Hi CE, here's a few links you might find usefull, instead of the useless kitchen sink falling from one 90210 mouth.

http://www.visittampabay.com/

http://www.cityvisitorsguide.com/tampa/

http://www.channelside.com/

Hope those help.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by crimguy1976
The coffeehouse in hyde park is no more. It closed earlier this year!! Everyone was going to Starbucks anyway (better coffee)...and much nicer management.
When I was there everyone at the bookstore/coffeehouse seemed very nice, and they had comfy seats (unlike Starbucks).
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tummy
While not Hilton or SPG, we always stay at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. The rooms are very comfortable, especially on the Regency Club level.

I'm not sure if it continues, but we use to always get it for $65 / nt on Priceline. Plus Hyatt provides full elite benefits even on PL rates.

Photos from March 03

There is a small wildlife estuary right behind the hotel. You can see birds, crabs, frogs, and sometimes horseshoe crabs along the pathway.
I would second this recommendation via priceline, it is a great recently refurbished hotel with great estuary behind.

From Tampa, Key West is an easy, direct plane ride.

Tampa has a good collection of clubs if you know where to look and there are younger guys if you search them out.....

Sarasota, to the south, can be fun for a break, as it does have some sophistication, but Fort lauderdale and key West are the real draws for the Florida visitor.

Check out www.pineapplepoint.com. www.theflamingoresort.com and islandhousekeywest.com for fun places to stay.

Last edited by apudme; Oct 5, 2005 at 3:41 pm
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
When I was there everyone at the bookstore/coffeehouse seemed very nice, and they had comfy seats (unlike Starbucks).
True, the chairs and couches were very nice, and the employees themselves friendly (most of them). The owner would go buck on anyone he caught at Starbucks...very strange individual!!
Old May 13, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This was the newest thread that I was able to find about Tampa. Blast from the past and half of the members suspended!

Anyway A semi MR will take me to Tampa. Never spent a night there before so decided to stay over Friday and Saturday nights.

Any updates on the bars/clubs on the greater Tampa area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.